How to convex an edge???

I have a couple Furi kitchen knives and I would really like to put a convex edge on them but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I've heard the old mouse pad/sand paper method but I'm wondering how much skill this takes. I'm afraid I'll just roll the edge and make it really dull rather then convexed. Any help would be appreciated if you could just lead me in the right direction.

Let’s see if we can find the right forum …
attachment.php

It looks like the tutorial explains how to maintain a convex edge, not how to make a bevelled edge to a convex edge. I would think that would a hard trick to do. But I may be wrong.

To convex the entire bevel (like the second blade shown in the BRKCA tutorial) you will have to grind away the entire flat bevel; a job for a belt sander or a very patient man on a mouse pad. That's too much loss IMO. You can easily create a very small convexed bevel (at the immediate edge) by following the tutorial. Just heed the cautions concerning pressure and angle. Continue to re-sharpen the blade in the same way and the convexed bevel will grow over time.

Easy, all my knives are convex. Just get a coarse stone, and grind down in circular motions from rear to tip, till you get a burr. This will give you a rough convex already. Then go to the sandpaper mousepad technique.

I guess I'm just worried about the angle. I know there's a difference between a rolled dull edge and a sharp convex edge.

Back