how to do hand finishing

pso

What options do I have for hand finishing a kitchen knife made from O-1 or 5160 with paper micarta scales pinned on? I have read that a mirror polish will increase the corrosion resistance of the steel but all of the processes described use (power) buffers.

Would a satin finish have much less corrosion resistance? What process would I use to get a satin finish by hand?

Is it best to get the scales shaped and sanded/polished to their finished state before finishing the blade? Is it better to finish the blade and the front edge of the scales first, attach the scales, then do the final finishing on the scales? Is several layers of masking tape sufficient to protect the finished blade?

Just working my way through the process so I am less likely to be painting myself into a corner. Thanks again for your advice.

Phil

Phil, you'd be suprised how slick you can get steel by hand sanding thru the finer grits, like 1200 to 1500 grit. If you work it carefully and be sure to remove the previous grit's scratches you can shine up a blade nicely by hand.

Phil, you're right on track. You'll want to finish the blade and ricasso, and the front of your scales before applying the scales; then bring them down flush with your blade and finish.

When hand sanding, you'll start to see a real mirror finish starting at about 600 grit. Go beyond that and I'd think your finish will compare favorably to a mirror polish in terms of stain resistance.

Dave

Back