How to get rid of rusty spots on stonewashed blade

owensidharta

Gold Member
Hi folks,

I have some questions and need your expertise suggestions :
I have a stonewashed blade knife. The blade's material is N690C. I carried it inside my jeans pocket. Because I sweat a lot and the weather here in Indonesia is humid , there are tiny rusty spots that shown up on the blade. How to get rid of those rusty spots? Which materials(Oils?) can be used to get rid of those rusty spots?

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thank you.

Owen.

I just about always use mothers mag polish (automotive section of Walmart), autozone, Oriley’s ect and a few make up sponges. It will Gerber the rust off easily, scratches as well if they aren’t deep. Then I wash it with soap and water until clean. When you get done wipe the blade down with a “Tuff-Cloth” or wipe it with oil. You will be able to get the rust out then keep them from coming back. Hope this helps!

S
I just about always use mothers mag polish (automotive section of Walmart), autozone, Oriley’s ect and a few make up sponges. It will Gerber the rust off easily, scratches as well if they aren’t deep. Then I wash it with soap and water until clean. When you get done wipe the blade down with a “Tuff-Cloth” or wipe it with oil. You will be able to get the rust out then keep them from coming back. Hope this helps!
So, using mothers mag polish and a few make up sponge (Or any other sponge or cloth) can wipe out those tiny rusty spots? Which oil do you use for keep the rust coming back? Thanks!

If you use your knife to cut food, just use a light application of mineral oil.

If you can get it in Indonesia, Bar Keepers Friend powder, mixed to a paste with some water, works well for this.

Use a Q-tip to apply the paste to the spots. Let it sit for ~ 30 - 60 seconds, then rinse it off. Don't leave it on the steel too long; the oxalic acid in the BKF powder will dissolve the rust, but can also etch the steel if it sits too long (longer than a minute or so). You shouldn't need to sand or polish anything at all, so there's minimal risk of altering the finish on the blade.

Last edited:
David's tip of using BKF has worked well on most jobs, and it works quickly and cleans up easily. Another option for really stubborn rust spots, get a special corrosion inhibitor and give it a long soak. I had a really stubborn rust around the thumbhole on a nice folder, I soaked it for nearly 2 days in my favorite corrosion protectant and gun oil--CorrosionX--and that took care of it.

If you can't get BKF easily, there are numerous homemade solutions that work nearly as well for removing light rust from stainless, such as white vinegar or baking soda. For example, make a paste of baking soda and water, and gently scrub the rust spots with a toothbrush.

S

So, using mothers mag polish and a few make up sponge (Or any other sponge or cloth) can wipe out those tiny rusty spots? Which oil do you use for keep the rust coming back? Thanks!

I use a tuff cloth. It is a polishing cloth impregnated with tuffglide. So to answer your question tuff glide. You can use Marine tuff glide as well to prohibit rust, there is also a marine tuffcloth

The active ingredient in Barkeeper's Friend is Oxalic Acid = Bubuk Oxalic/Bubuk Osasir/Asam Oksalat in Indonesia as far as I can tell. There may be some cleaners that contain it, but watch out for other ingredients that might be more corrosive.

You night try dabbing some Coca-Cola on the rust spots. It contains phosphoric acid.

If you can get it in Indonesia, Bar Keepers Friend powder, mixed to a paste with some water, works well for this.

Use a Q-tip to apply the paste to the spots. Let it sit for ~ 30 - 60 seconds, then rinse it off. Don't leave it on the steel too long; the oxalic acid in the BKF powder will dissolve the rust, but can also etch the steel if it sits too long (longer than a minute or so). You shouldn't need to sand or polish anything at all, so there's minimal risk of altering the finish on the blade.
Thanks,man. But, unfortunately, it is not available in Indonesia :(
And importing it is impossible because i do not have a chemical importing permits :(

David's tip of using BKF has worked well on most jobs, and it works quickly and cleans up easily. Another option for really stubborn rust spots, get a special corrosion inhibitor and give it a long soak. I had a really stubborn rust around the thumbhole on a nice folder, I soaked it for nearly 2 days in my favorite corrosion protectant and gun oil--CorrosionX--and that took care of it.

If you can't get BKF easily, there are numerous homemade solutions that work nearly as well for removing light rust from stainless, such as white vinegar or baking soda. For example, make a paste of baking soda and water, and gently scrub the rust spots with a toothbrush.
Thanks, man :)
Will try the baking soda + water then...

I use a tuff cloth. It is a polishing cloth impregnated with tuffglide. So to answer your question tuff glide. You can use Marine tuff glide as well to prohibit rust, there is also a marine tuffcloth
tuff cloth is not available in my country too :(
Thanks,brother...

The active ingredient in Barkeeper's Friend is Oxalic Acid = Bubuk Oxalic/Bubuk Osasir/Asam Oksalat in Indonesia as far as I can tell. There may be some cleaners that contain it, but watch out for other ingredients that might be more corrosive.

You night try dabbing some Coca-Cola on the rust spots. It contains phosphoric acid.
I will try to find the "bubuk oxalic" in Indonesia. Thanks,man!

I completely agree with using Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser to remove rust stains and rust spots on virtually any steel or stainless steel. And if you do desire to use the blade for food prep you can have total confidence that BKF is totally water soluable and rinses off easily. The Q-Tip method is a good one and you might try the use of a wire brush>> they made them the same size as tooth brushes and that way you can use it specifically on the corroded spot without needing to use it on the entire blade.

You can also use FLITZ which is a great metal polish that you can get at hardware stores and even most of the top notch knife dealers carry it. But if using with food I would sure wash off the residue of any polish. Good Luck

You speak bahasa! :thumbsup:

I will try to find the "bubuk oxalic" in Indonesia. Thanks,man!
Try asking local ACE hardware if they carry Barkeepers or if they are willing to import.

Amazon says it delivers (Bar Keeper) to Indonesia.

ETA:
Tokopedia carries it (Bar Keeper). Can try that too.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The 7.5 - 9.5% oxalic acid in BKF is raw, pure stuff. Use the 100% stuff and just use less - add more water.

I do like and use Barkeepers Friend. Works well on the stainless steel sink and discolored pans, including copper-bottomed ones. I have some "stainless" kitchen knives that occasionally sprout a few rust spots and it works fine on them Soaking heavily rusted items in Oxalic acid solution for extended periods can result in some rather insoluble greenish deposit on the work piece. So it's best to soak a bit and scrub periodically. People use it successfully to remove rust from chrome plated bicycle frames and handlebars.

I couldn't locate the BKF on Tokopedia using their search. ???

Back