How to get started selling? What's a good payment method?

I got a gold membership to sell this OTF knife: IMG_1319.JPG https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/1012516/
But, I'm wondering if I should sell some cheaper knives before trying to sell a $200+ knife with no reputation. I've also seen buyers asking for PayPal Friends&Families and I'm wondering if that's a good option. From what I understood, F&F is safe for the seller but gives the buyer no guarantee whatsoever. Basically I'm a total noob that more or less ended up here because Ebay doesn't like OTF's. I appreciate any help or directions to obvious resources that I should have seen. Thanks!

I would say go PP G&S. The trend to F&F was mostly to avoid the tax filling which has been postponed. Since you are new G&S may help reasure some buyers. No reason to not start selling what you want to sell now.
All IMO

I don't really think $200 is at the dollar amount here where most people would be militantly vigilant about passing on a sale because a seller wasn't a highly established member with a lot of feedback.

All else being equal and assuming there are no red flags from a seller in his post or communication, of course.

I'd suggest being open to payment options. I'm one that has shunned PayPal, and will pass on PayPal payments as a buyer and seller.
That said, I recognize that this is the digital age & I'm fine with losing purchases and sales as a result of my decisions.

I would say go PP G&S. The trend to F&F was mostly to avoid the tax filling which has been postponed. Since you are new G&S may help reasure some buyers. No reason to not start selling what you want to sell now.
All IMO
Unless he lives in a state that is already doing it. I do, but still do G&S, although some buyers have paid me via F&F anyway.

Unless he lives in a state that is already doing it. I do, but still do G&S, although some buyers have paid me via F&F anyway.
I have this weird ethical hangup about PayPal's terms of service. I price for G&S and never ask for F&F, but I also never refund if someone pays by F&F, I just send them the knife. The TOS just says I can't ask for F&F as a seller, so I don't, but I'm not going to go through the arguing and hoopla of refunding when someone pays me that way anyway.

As seller you can ask to be paid by whatever method you choose. I personally offer PP G&S or money order. I don't feel right about using F&F. As stated earlier the more choices the better, in case someone has a problem with any one method, which varies person to person. PP G&S however is the only one that is going to have protection for the buyer and seller.
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your sales.

I'd suggest being open to payment options. I'm one that has shunned PayPal, and will pass on PayPal payments as a buyer and seller.
That said, I recognize that this is the digital age & I'm fine with losing purchases and sales as a result of my decisions.
What alternatives do you use?

Not what you asked but related.
PP nor BF moderators should have to be needed to get involved in your transaction. Items should be as described, returns accepted (same condition)if buyer does not feel it was, and you cover the item until it is delivered.
When this is done the payment method is not that important. When not done it can be vital.
Some alternative I see used- Verano, Zelle, money orders and checks as well as Apple and Google pay.
Many may not have these or not choose to use them.
The more someone desires your knife , the more the buyer is going to adapt to your chosen payment method.

Last edited:
What alternatives do you use?
For here? I'll first say that I shunned the PPFF crowd for years. When the tax thing hit, most of the remaining PPGS converted to FF; but I was already gone.
I accept, and use, USPS money orders or bank checks. I've lost sales and purchases due to that decision, and I'm fine with both.

Back