How to hold bolsters when shapeing

I am shaping some nickle bolsters I have them cut and i am working them both at the same time,I am using vise grips but the bolster,want to move when I start to shape them.i need some input
on how to keep them from moving .
thank for any in put I am finishing up my first knife and i am nervous,about some thing so I tought I would see how some other makers do it
Thanks Nathan

:)

I would temporarily mount them on a piece of steel about 10 inches long. Put into your vice and start sanding away.

Clamp one in place on the blade and drill pin holes.

Remove first bolster from blade

Mate second bolster to first making sure to keep front edges mated.

Drill pin hols in second bolster

Insert temporary pins and clamp together

Finish front and rear edges, front side must be finished completely

Pin bolster to blade and peen pins

Finish shaping bolsters on the blade (ensures perfect match all round)

Finish bolsters off completely then do handle.

If bolsters cannot be scuffed during handle installation prefit and finish handle material before final finishing of bolsters.

It takes a lot of patience in the prefitting and prefinishing steps but usually is worth the effort.

I drill the holes, install the pins and use a dab of super glue on the inside of the bolsters. When you done grinding on them, a little heat from a propane torch and they come apart. That's works for me.
Tom

thanks Guys
for all the great input I like the drill and mate them
with a pin through them that will give you something to hold while
shaping,simple but afftive

Check out my tutorial on doing dovetail bolsters at the CKD (www.customknifedirectory.com)- it covers the technique described by George Tichborne above, with photos. I use a jeweler's hand vise to hold the pinned bolsters while I am shaping the ends.

Back