How to Keep Axe Head Tight?

Hi Guys,

What is the best way to keep an axe head tight on a wooden handle?

I have a double-bitted axe that is getting a bit loose. It still has the factory handle with a metal wedge. Conventional wisdom says soak it in water a few hours before use (inconvenient), but I have also heard to use linseed oil. I thought that was only for finishing. The axe lives in a leather sheath when not in use.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

Water will work as a temp fix only and will degrade the wood eventually.

My advice is to rub down the whole handle while you are at it and soak the head in Linseed oil (not the boiled stuff) for about 2 days and about 3 times a day wipe the handle too. Or even better leave it for a week so that it will end up with about 25 coats. The once every 6 months or so, give it a wipe with a cloth on the handle and leave the end of the handle against the wet Linseed oil soaked cloth to soak up some more.

If the handle is bad though maybe you can get it re-handled and then do the same treatment to make double sure it never comes loose.

Be careful with rags soaked with Linseed oil they have been known to combust.

Thanks, Temper.

I fear that part of the problem stems from the fact that there are gaps at the ends of the eye where the handle sticks through. I think things will be improved by swelling the wood with linseed oil, but I wonder if a new handle won't be required in the end.

Scott

Get a hardwood wedge.
Drive it into the center of the handle.
Soak in mineral oil...4-5 days.
Let it dry a few weeks.

Seal it with Rustoleum coal tar epoxy.
The end grain " breathes".. once you seal it , the oil is retained= tight handle.
You can actually make sure the handle is about 3/8-1/2 below flush and melt in some candle wax to seal it.

I knew an old redneck in Virginia that used to throw double bit axes and this was his routine..

Folks used to joke.." Don't worry about his gun" It's too noisy.. the knife or hatchet is what he'll kill you with"
The gun is for game or mean dogs.

Soaking axe-handles in water temporarily swells the wood, tightening the axe head on. But when it dries out again, it will be looser than ever.

Soak the wood with linseed oil. Personally, I'd try to put a better shim in.

Back