1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to maintain and sharpen knives?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by A R E S, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:50 PM.

1. A R E S

A R E S

Thursday
    Hello, I have a Ka-Bar Full Size USMC model and a CRKT Minimalist knife. I was wondering how to maintain and care for them.
    I’m also looking for suggestions on a good sharpener for both of the knives, hopefully no more than $20.

Thank you!

bucketstove likes this.
  2. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    There is nothing I can describe as good for $20 or less. Maybe a hardware store whetstone - you're going to have to supply the skill.

3. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Find a Norton, India Stone. And use Simple Green Soap, the stuff in the squirt bottle . Not oil. That is about your only option at that price range. It will work fine for those knives and others if you put some time in learning how to sharpen..

Chris "Anagarika" and hughd like this.
  4. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    Well,
    maintain and care is easy
    keep'em clean,
    keep 'em dry,
    buff on some paste wax occasionally (cheap like Kiwi neutral paste shoe polish)
    Have you ever sharpened a knife before?
    Where are you shopping, online?
    $20 is plenty of dough to get you plenty sharp, shopping on ebay, or ace/lowes,
    even $1 is plenty for sharpening gear,
    just gotta decide to learn and practice and ask questions until you do,
    doesn't take long,
    you can get started today with a coffee cup and paring knife from your kitchen, try sharpening before you buy sharpening equipment
    so what are you thinking? ask questions . what do you want to know?

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...teach-sharpening-class.1487187/#post-17104339
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/diy-sharpening-vs-professional-services.1609837/#post-18389250
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sharpening-for-idiots.1466648/#post-16879062

hughd likes this.
  5. A R E S

A R E S

Thursday
    First off, thank you all for the replies!
    I’ve never sharpened a knife before so I have no experience, I do know that some knives are sharpened at a certain angle - in this case, the Ka-Bar should be 25 degrees if I’m correct, but I don’t know how to apply that, my biggest concern is messing up the factory angle due to inexperience, I’m thinking of getting a guided sharpening system but would rather take the time to learn the traditional way. My question is, what’s a good sharpening stone that’s not too pricey for the knives I have?

I’ve also just found out about honing oils and paste wax, so that’s new. I’ve read somewhere that lubricating your knives with gun oil specifically is also good for the knife. Any extra tips on knives maintenance and sharpening from experience would be greatly appreciated!

6. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Get a sharpie/magic marker/felt tipped pen, and mark the edge of your knife. When you start sharpening with your stone, go lightly and slowly at first, and check to see where the marker is removed. This is how you can match the existing angle of your blade, and know when you've sharpened all the way to the apex.

Practice on a few cheap paring knives first before doing your favorites. Good luck.

7. A R E S

A R E S

Thursday
    Thank you!
    As for the kind of stones to buy, what would everyone recommend for the knives that I have? Preferably a diamond stone.

8. ecallahan

ecallahan Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I was going to recommend reading bgentry’s Seven Secrets of Sharpening but it seems the links are broken! That’s some of the best advice in one place. Should be a sticky. I have saved them in a document if interested contact me through my profile or maybe bgentry has them in a document he could send you. ​

lex2006 likes this.
  9. poking_stick

poking_stick

Jan 26, 2010
    Congrats on deciding to learn to sharpen your knives. And super congrats on being smart and setting a price limit for yourself -- with this kind of fiscal discipline your bank account and personal relationships may well survive your burgeoning knife hobby!

Here's my suggestion:

This system has a 25° setting, which is what you ask for, but you might want to paint the secondary bevel with a marker and observe how exactly each pass is wearing down the edge. Use the marker method a lot when you're learning how to sharpen -- soon you won't need the marker as you'll be able to tell by feel or by observing how the grit pattern changes to confirm you're sharpening at the correct angle.

You don't need diamond for 1095, so I recommend the Ceramic/Ceramic version of the Lansky box which is available for well under $20. One day when you're rocking CPM S90V then you might want a diamond stone, but I wouldn't worry about that yet. Get really good at sharpening easy steels like 1095, and 5Cr15MoV (this one should give you lots of practice!) before you try tackling super steels. Once you learn the technique, you can sharpen on a brick:

10. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    Worksharp pocket sharpener, Lansky crock stick (diamond), Norton combination stone (crystolon aka SIC or India), Norton economy crystolon stone, Lansky coarse/fine diamond, benchstone angle guides, etc.

There is a lot that can be purchased for $20. For most people I think the Lansky crock sticks in the diamond varient would be the best if they don't deal with serrations. Works on the same principal as the Sharpmaker which so many of us love, just less versitility, less grit options, and more obtuse angles by default but you can drill in new holes at whatever angle you want (protractor helps) so that last point is moot.

How sharp something gets is 99% skill 1% what your using. Don't worry about grits as going higher won't make it sharper. A more coarse grit will leave a toothy edge that slices better. A finer grit leaves a more polished edge that push cuts better.

11. A R E S

A R E S

Thursday
    Thank you all for the knowledge you’ve provided! I really appreciate the time yall’ve taken to share your knowledge with me, I’ve learned a lot from the information y’all’ve provided and I feel comfortable with learning how to sharpen my own knives now.
    :)

bucketstove likes this.
  12. bgentry

bgentry

Aug 3, 2009
    Because of this post (and because I had been planning on it) I reposted my Seven Secrets. It's now a sticky at the top of the forum. Thanks to Blues for that. :)

Brian.

13. ecallahan

ecallahan Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2011
    That’s good news for anyone interested in sharpening. Freehand or otherwise.

14. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001