How To How to offer a design to a company properly?

I tried to write directly to the company like CIVIVI and QSP but it doesn't seem to move anything. I'm not trying to pry into secrets (I think I'll get to them at some point), I just wanna know the general stuff like where to write to them and maybe something else. Will be appreciated.

Make a bunch of them. Sell a bunch of them. Take a few to Blade Show and show them to the folks you're interested in contacting.

This pretty much seems to be the barrier of entry. A lot of the designers start out just making their own designs or having them produced.

I would imagine you would need a bit of a portfolio before another company hires you out or takes on your design.

Call me cynical, but the first thing I would do is hire an attorney who knows how to jump through the legal hoops of getting you a patent, and some real legal protection of your designs. Only then, would I consider offering my designs to a company.

Take a look at what happened to a couple of inventors who offered their designs to Sears, if you want some examples of being too trusting.

Maybe if you have some revolutionary feature? I would imagine in the knife world it's pretty easy to "borrow" from or be influenced by an existing style or design without getting in too much trouble.

You could always just see if a custom maker is willing do a custom one off from your design and input. That's how it was done years ago. Someone paid a custom maker to make a one off, then they shopped it around forums, or in the old days, magazines hoping to drum up enough interest that another few piece order made sense, and then another order after that. Lots of folks learn quick that the knife business is very fickle.

Get the maker to sign an agreement that the design remains yours. At worst, you'll have a neat keepsake.

They literally get their designs into auto cad and then find a manufacturer to make it and bam, there’s a new knife company at table 357. I understand it may take some time and even a large chunk of change but I just find this business model soulless.
I don't 100% oppose this, because in some ways, it gets us churn in the system where people keep trying new things. Maybe it catches on, maybe it doesn't. I think a lot of us kind of wish we could get a batch of knives made to scratch an itch that just isn't quite met by existing ones.

I respect the Chinese OEMs like Reate and WE and Kunwu, but I will say that while they execute well, all their designs have a sameness to them that I think is what you're talking about. Me personally, if I ever did something like what the OP wants, I'd do smaller batches with Mechforce or TRM or Medford or some American shop that is willing to do OEM work.

Unless you are a Ninja with their own world famous dojo (or whatever it's called?) or a Navy Seal type Hero or a Famous Youtuber....... nobody knows you. ( nobody will care :( )

I've said this before to some extent, people aren't buying your knife.... they are buying YOU. Your Brand, your lifestyle, what you think and feel, You....
people have enough knives.
They want More than just knives..... and you have to offer them that, or they will look elsewhere. Look how often a knife makes it Big and it isn't all that great. It's often Only because of who's name is on it. (unfortunately)

You don't sell the Steak, you sell the SIZZLE

*Sorry..... just kinda been there done that (in numerous industries) Life isn't easy or fair

Heck....even Here. I don't consider myself much of a Maker. I think in more terms myself as a designer.
I started out wanting my knife designs to get made. Not for sale, but Just for me because I believed in what I wanted.
I reached out to numerous makers. Most rejected me, a few didn't. I had my knives made, I liked them.

I have a strong machining background. It took a lot of work working with other makers. Subtle changes wasn't going to be practical. over and over again.
I decided to start making My Own.
..... Then others wanted mine. I'm doing ok. Meeting lots of new people, making some friends along the way, and Hopefully making as many people happy as I can.
-But, it's Alot of work!

Good Luck, hopefully we see something from ya!!!

Thank you guys a lot for providing such information for me. I really appreciate it!
Right now I'm trying to push an EDC fixed blade design, but I also have a folder design which I personally very like and would love to be made. Well, yeah. As you all say, it ain't easy. What I'm now thinking about is to try at least make a foam or wood prototype and see how it works and feels. I'll also try to find some local knife makers and try to cooperate with them (hopefully there are some here in Sacramento)
Hopefully I will also try some CAD-like programs.

Thank you guys a lot for providing such information for me. I really appreciate it!
Right now I'm trying to push an EDC fixed blade design, but I also have a folder design which I personally very like and would love to be made. Well, yeah. As you all say, it ain't easy. What I'm now thinking about is to try at least make a foam or wood prototype and see how it works and feels. I'll also try to find some local knife makers and try to cooperate with them (hopefully there are some here in Sacramento)
Hopefully I will also try some CAD-like programs.

Print out your profile full scale.
Glue or trace it onto some tag board. I use beer cases or soda pop cartons.
Glue enough to make it so you can grab it.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn about knife design This way.

I'll give you another tip.....
95% of good knife design is actually good handle design.
Seriously..... Most people don't know that.

Print out your profile full scale.
Glue or trace it onto some tag board. I use beer cases or soda pop cartons.
Glue enough to make it so you can grab it.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn about knife design This way.

I'll give you another tip.....
95% of good knife design is actually good handle design.
Seriously..... Most people don't know that.
This 100%!!

Perfect example, I think the crk umnumzaan is one of the best looking knives ever. Finally got one and couldn’t get over how it felt in the hand. Just couldn’t justify keeping it. So off it went and I’ll probably never buy another one.

In the hand and just general functionality is king in my book. They are meant to be used after all. I’ve just recently swapped out another ti scale for g10 on anoter LG vecp because it flat out just provides more grip for actual use.

Back