How to peen handle pins

Inthewind

Gold Member
Im thinking about trying to peen the pins on my knives. So my question to you guys is. For all of you that peen your pins, how do you hold the pins in place while you smack/lightly tap them with a hammer/spoon.

How secure are handles scales that have only been peened (no glue)?

You put them in the hole and place the handle on your anvil. Use a very small hammer-tack hammer or smaller, and use light taps all around the circumference of the pin.
Forget the spoon idea.
Properly peened handles need no glue at all.

One thing you can do is peen one side before you put it in the handle. I took two pieces of mild steel scrap and two layers of pop can, sandwich them together with a c clamp, and drill a hole between all the layers the size of your pin stock. Now take out the pop can, and you can clamp your pin stock in your new jig in your vice. It will grab the pin without disforming it and hold it securely. Then you only have one side to screw up. There is a thread about doming that was on here just a month or two. Lot of good stuff there. I use a center punch that has been dressed like a ball peen hammer, it jots easier to controll then a ball peen hammer. I tap the punch, letting slide off the pin untill it almost touches the handle.

I guess this is more doming, you might be talking more about just peenIng them flush
Best of luck

Last edited:
I always epoxy my handles on before I peen my pins!! That way I have the glue holding the scales on first and the pins being my back up mechanical bond. Just cut a piece of pin stock just long enough to stick out both sides a hair. Then tap a few times on one side, alternate to the other and tap a few times. Or you can peen one side before you put it in the handle as listed in the above post. Make sure before you peen though, that you grind the end of your pin stock nice and clean. No jagged edges from cutting em.

Do you guys bevel the ends of the hole slightly? Seems like the answer is no but if not then isn't it only friction holding the pin in place?

Reactions: HPD
The surrounding handle material will expand slightly. It will take no more than upsetting the pin ends .020 or more to create a strong mechanical bond if they fit well in the first place, and especially if everything is epoxied as well. This amount of heading should not split the wood. If it does, well, that's part of the learning curve.

As Leeth says, peening after epoxy is a good idea. I do it either the way he described, although I epoxy the pin and peen it before curing, or one other way. I'll make the entire handle and glue it up with straight pins, as if I meant not to peen them at all. I'll shape the handle up to 95% with 60 grit wood belts. The peens are at this point glued in and ground flush, the palm swell will be defined, and the handle for all purposes shaped.

At this point, I go to a domed stake in the hardy hole (a vise would work) and, centering a pin on the dome (underside of the handle) I lightly peen the top of the same pin with a small ball peen. It does not take much, starting at the center and working out around the sides, to flare the top of the pin just a bit. It should not come out of round discernibly.

The only skill involved is that of keeping the bottom end of the pin you are working centered on the dome stake below. You don't want to slip off and be denting the wood around the pin with it. It's easy to feel and hear when the pin is supported by steel though, and the blows involved are very light so that if the work does slip, as long as you are aware of it, no real damage to the handle should result.

After I've peened both sides of each pin, I go to the grinder and continue, usually stepping up right away to 220 grit, to smooth the handle and refine the scratches. The pins come clean right away, but not enough material is ground off to remove the slight flaring that has been done.

The benefits of this way: Pins are epoxied too. Pins are mechanically trapped. A complex handle contour can be easily peened this way. The pins are held in place already by glue, no falling out, no fuss, no muss. No wet epoxy to deal with while peening. Pins do not have to be cut to a certain length, and the ends cleaned up, before peening. They are shaped right along with the handle, before peening. Handles on knives known to have straight pins can even be retro-peened this way.

I think that a common misconception with new makers is that a large head, like a rivet, needs to be peened out. I would say, not so. If you go too far, the edges can split, the wood can split, the head become noticeably out of round, the pin itself can bend, etc. I think of it more as if I am peening a bolster on- just a bit of upsetting/flare at the pin end is all it takes.

I do feel more secure when using stabilized wood, for several reasons, less likelihood of splitting being one of them.

Where to get a nice domed stake for your anvil or vise? I made mine out of a railroad bolt. If you walk tracks, you'll see that many of those 1"x10" bolts are domed on the top already, and only need a little cleanup and polish. I ground flats onto the bolt shank, which will locate it in the anvil or vise. BTW, find one that is NOT in the process of holding track together! Or ask some track workers.

Last edited:
Thank you Salem for the very detailed explanation. So detailed that I hate to ask a follow up but it work the same in material that doesn't "give" as much, such as G-10?

It works with g10 and micarta as well. IMO its easier to peen pins in g10 or micarta because you dont have to worry as much about messing up or splitting the scales like with wood. Still cant over do it though! ;)

At this point, I go to a domed stake in the hardy hole (a vise would work) and, centering a pin on the dome (underside of the handle) I lightly peen the top of the same pin with a small ball peen. It does not take much, starting at the center and working out around the sides, to flare the top of the pin just a bit. It should not come out of round discernibly.

Forgive my ignorance, but.........................this entire paragraph is over my head. I have no clue what you meant here :eek:.

A Hardy hole is a hole in an anvil to hold tools like fullers, cutters, stakes, etc.. A domed stake is a stake or rod that has a domed (rounded) tip. Think of a bolt with a ball bearing welded on the end. If you don't have an anvil you can use a vise to hold something similar (flat sides will help). Now put the bottom end of the pin on top of the dome and start peining. Give the pin 8-10 taps and turn it over and tap the other end 8-10 taps. Keep doing this until the pin is properly peined on both sides. Remember to work from the center outward and use many small taps. Once the pin is peined properly you can buff it out. Buffing the hammer head to a mirror polish before starting helps to impart a nice finish to the pin that makes finishing/buffing much easier. I hope this makes sense and helps.

Just so i get this st raight, your peening one side of the pin with the ball peen hammer at the same time your resting the other side of the pin on the domed stake?

Can you only use ball peen hammer and get good results if your switching sides every few taps and resting the pin on a flat surface (just to make sure it doesnt move on you)?

Yes, the stake supports the pin as you pein it. It is best to use a ball pein hammer because the ball shape allows you to hit the pin without hitting the handle material. The resting surface doesn't HAVE to be domed but the smaller the better because its easier to keep just the pin itself supported. The dome also helps to round the head from the bottom also.

I'm kind of impressed that you guys have enough hammer skill to control whether you hit the center or around the outside of such a small target.

If you use the peen of the hammer, you will make yourself hit lightly in order to not smash the handle, this gives you the control to keep it on target. If you only have a flat surface to lay your handle/pin on, find a slightly rounded piece of metal (solid) and flatten one end (to rest on the "anvil"). Or if you have a railroad rail, the top may be curved enough to isolate just the pin. I epoxy first with temporary pins and once it is clamped and set for a few minutes, i remove the pins and wait for the handle to cure. Once done, I clear out the holes and use pins just over the size I want, glue and place. Once these are cured I start peening. Once one side is started, I flip over and see how much is on the other side and file it down if needed, then peen that side and switch back and forth till complete. You have to make a choice when to stop or you will crack your handle and get very annoyed.

I've been doing more and more peening these days as I now(yeah, it took me long enough) understand the various benefits over a flush polished pin. I use a domed stake to support the underside as I'm peening and I have made several different sizes of depressions in several different stakes to accommodate varied pin sizes. I use large lag bolts for my stakes and just drill a small impression into the domed head of the bolt, then hold them secure in my bench vice.

In one of Nick Wheeler's extraordinary WIP's he shows a masterfully designed jig he built for this purpose. His jig clamps the blade securely on one end, and a domed stake secured in the other end keeping everything lined up throughout the process. My trouble is keeping the underside of the pin perfectly centered over the depression in the stake as I peen. One little slip and I get dings in the underside of the wood handle. Nick's jig alleviates this problem.

-Peter

I will often make custom domed washers [on my lathe],then countersink the handle material just deep enough so the washers dont protrude.Then I put the washers on domed side out,with the pins protruding a little and peen them.This gives the pins something to grab that wont split and makes it easier not to hit the handle material with the hammer.

I will often make custom domed washers [on my lathe],then countersink the handle material just deep enough so the washers dont protrude.Then I put the washers on domed side out,with the pins protruding a little and peen them.This gives the pins something to grab that wont split and makes it easier not to hit the handle material with the hammer.

Would you have pics of these?

Back