How to reduce my folding knife's overall weight?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Naphtali, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Naphtali

Naphtali

May 20, 2002
    I have a first model CRK Umnumzaan clip point. As I type, the knife is totally OEM including double spring clip affixed.

I want to lighten its weight, my goal being two ounces (57 grams) without touching blade or integrity of its frame lock. This means eliminating titanium from its scales, including perhaps swapping out spring clip for its filler plate. Removing metal by hogging out slots appears to be something to avoid because I believe this would reduce my ability for a secure grip in use - and would look lousy. Possibly "Swiss cheesing", blending somewhat with the bold checkering on the scales and enhancing the cross-hatching appearance would achieve result wanted.

I request suggestions on an effective procedure to achieve the weight reduction.

I further request contact information for knife makers or craftsmen who can complete the work.

2. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    I would just buy a knife within your weight requirement. It seems silly to buy a really expensive knife and then whittle it away because it's too heavy. (Unless you have huge amounts if disposible income...then it's a case of having more dollars than sense)

3. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    He's right. Sell the Zaan...it should go pretty easily...and buy the WEIGHT of knife that you want.
    The Zaan IS a heavy-duty knife...it isn't designed to be light.

Stelth likes this.
  4. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    This ^
    Personally I would send it off and get the blade ground much thinner.
    I do that to my own knives and have threatened to do it to my 21.
    Time will tell.

Steel has the most weight of anything on your knife so removing a little of that from the blade would count for more than more of the other metal in the knife and have the added benefit of making it fly through the media that you cut.

Full disclosure : My 21 pretty much flies through what I cut as it is so . . .
    pretty happy as it is stock ! ! !

But what do I know I've had an M4 Kontego in my pocket all this week and don't find it heavy.
    Boy could I take two millimeters off that blade and reprofile it for a monstrous improvement in cutting performance.

But it's "tactical".
    Yea . . . good luck poking it through a carhart jacket as it is let alone something more puncture resistant. A good bruise is the best it could deliver as is .
    :(

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  5. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    2E530DBB-4337-4D92-9BFE-3A749EC21CEA.jpeg AD537170-E937-43EB-A8C3-D39875CE071B.jpeg BA816956-7A15-45CA-9728-123E3313899C.jpeg This knife weighs 55gm, but it has a 3” blade with a thickness of .092”.

David Mary and kreisler like this.
  6. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Since I am banging on endlessly . . .
    I would be careful there. Removing metal from the handle in large quantities could release stresses in the Ti and the handle could warp.
    My source hovers around C.R.'s own promotional vid on YouTube where he says the Ti does not come to him particularly flat and he has to machine it flat and parallel.

I know from lots of experience that . . .say . . . aluminum comes VERY flat and parallel from the maker. It doesn't warp notiecably as it cools. Steel on the other hand does and to rival plain old 6061 aluminum one has to order "Cold Rolled" steel. I believe Ti is even more stressed and funky as it comes from the mill.

7. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Very hansom blue knife handle :
    I was going to say surely there are after market scales to be had perhaps Carbon Fiber (significantly lighter material than Ti) though I have no source or experience acquiring such.

Personally I prefer Ti over Carbon Fiber and the weight be dambed.

8. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Carry a classic Buck 110 for a week or two.
    After that your Umnumzaan will feel like a modern marvel of gossamer like lightness .;) :thumbsup:

Ace Rimmer, Tjstampa and Stelth like this.
  9. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    You're going to lose the most weight by replacing the front slab with a composite of some sort like micarta, g-10, or carbon fiber. Beyond that, it's just the option of milling away material from the handle...either lightening pockets internally or external stuff like you mentioned.

~Chip

10. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Oof. Trimming 3 oz off a 5 oz knife is quite a bit of work.

I would agree with the others. Find a different knife.

Good luck

11. stitchawl

stitchawl

Jul 26, 2008
  12. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    This is pure insanity. :eek:

razorburn likes this.
  13. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Olamic does a swiss cheese version of their titanium handles, so it should be possible but you will also need to have the blade reground thinner to lose that much weight (if it's even possible). Check the customizer subforum to see what folks offer.

14. Naphtali

Naphtali

May 20, 2002
    Excepting "pure insanity," I agree with the consensus. Were it several weeks later, I could furnish details of result of experimenting.

Excessive quirkiness I can accept.

15. EveryDayTaco

EveryDayTaco Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 29, 2018
    I've never read so much BS in one thread before.
    smh...