How to remove tree gum from SAK saw?

I had a chance to put the saw on my x-mas present Vic OHT to work while camping over the weekend. I was impressed with how well it cuts. One of my friends was going to show me up with his Coleman folding camp saw, but the blade snapped on the third stroke :eek: . The OHT, well, it kept on cutting ;) .

But,

Do any of you know a good way to get that hardened mixture of sap and saw dust off of a SAK saw?

You could try soaking the saw in some wd-40. Haven't tried it, but I've used wd-40 for cleaning similiar messes with pretty good success.
-jtb49er2000

I guess I would try Aceton first. It's used to remove (sticky) substances like glue remains, stickers, permanent marker ink etc.

have access to a buffer? That works best.

Is it mirror finished? (can't remember)

if not, then an SOS pad will do it. Or WD40 + steel wood pad.

Butter...I'm not kidding, try it. It works incredibly well to get sap off your hands too...

You all may wish to take note - some of the solvents mentioned will also disolve the plastic handles on a SAK - I've also had insect repellant like deep woods "off" just rot them away in minutes - using lighter fluid or "naptha" is the way I would go and by the way have gone to remove pine sap and other stickey goo from any blade. no harm to handles!

Back