How to rig up a spear with a Busse?

Walking Man

BANNED
I know this probably isn't the best time to post this, since it's almost New Year's Eve, BUT!!!!......
I've been wondering about this for a while. I'd like to know just in case I ever need the info.
Is there an easy way to rig up a spear quickly using the talon holes and a decent sized stick if you should need one in the woods?
Also, can it be done WITHOUT paracord or string of some type?
I'm interested in seeing both ways, if anyone's ever done this.
thanks!
BTW.... I'm going to guess that a medium naked PBF would probably be the easiest and most effective spear due to size and probably easy of securing it to a stick, but let's stick with a medium sized Busse, like a Satin Jack, Hell Razor, or Natural Outlaw, something that you would most likely have with you during a hiking trip.

i dont see how you could attach it without tying it in some way, thereby needing some form of cord/string.

how about a few rolls of scotch tape? or spit? or the sinew of a dead animal?

:)

I know this probably isn't the best time to post this, since it's almost New Year's Eve, BUT!!!!......
I've been wondering about this for a while. I'd like to know just in case I ever need the info.
Is there an easy way to rig up a spear quickly using the talon holes and a decent sized stick if you should need one in the woods?
thanks!
BTW.... I'm going to guess that a medium naked PBF would probably be the easiest and most effective spear due to size and probably easy of securing it to a stick, but let's stick with a medium sized Busse, like a Satin Jack, Hell Razor, or Natural Outlaw, something that you would most likely have with you during a hiking trip.

I have never done this, even though I have made spears in the past. But I just pointed sticks with the knife and then burned the tips to harden them or used rock chips tied with a shoe lace to make a tip.

I imagine there is some way you could cut some kind of slot in the stick to where you could effectively wedge the knife into it, but just thinking about how to do that makes me want to give up on the project. Hopefully Macguyver is a closet Busse fan and will enlighten us shortly.

I imagine there is some way you could cut some kind of slot in the stick to where you could effectively wedge the knife into it, but just thinking about how to do that makes me want to give up on the project. Hopefully Macguyver is a closet Busse fan and will enlighten us shortly.

i would think the weight of the knife would require quite a large stick. one likely to heavy to use as a spear.

In any survival situation that I can conjure up, one would not need to strap their knife to the end of a stick. One would be better off sharpening a stick and using it as the spear. Add small rocks to the front for wieght as needed. A survival knife is far more important than a spear. The knife is used for numerous tasks, a spear for 1 task. The knife can make many spears but once it is used as a spear it becomes very speciallized. YMMV.

dont know what id do with it, but i sure is cool!!!!

attachment.php

I would be afraid to use any knife as a "spear" for fear I didn't get a cleam kill. Animal runs off then no more knife. Now I could see firmly lashing a knife to a stout stick for a longer reach for "sticking" an animal and then being able to keep it pinned till it stopped flailing.

thanks!

Wow, funny you should ask.

I was giving a demonstration on this at the show today.....:p :thumbup: ;)

Evolute (Mike Spinak), was telling me of making a pole axe from a AS to chop ice off food containers on a photography shoot. That's right, a Assault Shaker on the end of a stick!

We were having this discussion when he was getting a 6" naked PBF from me. He figured it would make an ideal camp knife for his needs and a REALLY good pole axe.

Not sure about a spear, but he did use his Busse's for some serious, leveraged chopping.

Rob

Back