How to sand knife scales without scratching blade at bolster

I am a newbie and got a knife kit recently. Woodworking is my hobby (but I know nothing about metal work). I made a mess this afternoon trying to sand the knife scales close to the bolster (have not figured out how to upload images yet). I am using a Katsura knife kit where the knife scales connect continuously to the bolster. Two questions:

(1) What is the correct way to sand the wood near the bolster so that the bolster does not get scratched.
(2) Once I have scratched the bolster, what can I do to remove the scratches?

Thanks!!

This is probably a better question for the maker section of this forum. I am not an expert on bolsters but I think masking tape before sanding would be your best bet. :) Depending how scratched it is, you can probably hand sand them out. Just go slow and reduce your grits slowly making sure you get all the scratches before moving on to the next grit. Use the search bar on this forum, it will answer almost every question you have. Good luck!

I think you have to have the scales perfect before you attach them. Test fit, Mark, sand, test fit, Mark, sand until they are perfect. Then attach them.

The bolsters need to be sanded with fiber and fiber grits then polished.

This is probably a better question for the maker section of this forum.
Sorry about posting to the wrong forum.

Depending how scratched it is, you can probably hand sand them out.
OK, I did mask the bolster with tape, but the belt sander tore it up. I think next time I may use a scroll saw to cut close to the bolster rather than using the belt sander. At this point I will try to sand/buff-out the scratches.

I think you have to have the scales perfect before you attach them. Test fit, Mark, sand, test fit, Mark, sand until they are perfect. Then attach them.
I never thought about sanding the scales before gluing them on. I have to think about that one. I will also check into fiber grits. I use just normal garnet-type paper.

If they are already attached...carefully, is the answer.

Also, hand sanding is the best option in my opinion at this point.

If you don't want to live with the scratched metal, you have to sand them out the same way you would and them out of wood. Ditch the belt sander for this, it's too easy to hog off too much material too fast. Use a higher grit than what you used to make the original scratches. Now you have newer scratches, move to a higher grit to get them out. After you have done this a couple of times, some buffing with compound will put the shine back on. The lowest I sand with is 60, then 180 or 220, then 600, and maybe 1000 wet sand depending on what I want to end with. I'm an amateur, I try to get by with fewer consumables and more elbow grease to make my hobby less painful, do some searches in the Makers and Maintenance subforums for more protips.

Hand sanding is the way to go for finish work, and if the bolster is already attached to the scale then everything left is finish work. Hand sanding will also respect a layer or 2 of tape more than any power sander will.

I am a newbie and got a knife kit recently. Woodworking is my hobby (but I know nothing about metal work). I made a mess this afternoon trying to sand the knife scales close to the bolster (have not figured out how to upload images yet). I am using a Katsura knife kit where the knife scales connect continuously to the bolster. Two questions:

(1) What is the correct way to sand the wood near the bolster so that the bolster does not get scratched.

Thanks!!
1. No need to avoid scrathes on the bolster, as You later will finish the handle in finer grit wet/dry sandpaper and polish.
2. Wet/dry sanding with finer and finer grits until the scratches are gone. Then finish off with chromepolish.

A few buildpic's of a Fällkniven S1 bladeblank:

S1 scales drilled.jpg

S1 profiling.jpg

S1 profiling 2.jpg
S1 shaping.jpg

S1 oiled.jpg

S1-Gone-Fishing-001.jpg

Regards
Mikael

1. No need to avoid scrathes on the bolster, as You later will finish the handle in finer grit wet/dry sandpaper and polish.
2. Wet/dry sanding with finer and finer grits until the scratches are gone. Then finish off with chromepolish.

View attachment 1215220

View attachment 1215221

View attachment 1215222
View attachment 1215224

View attachment 1215228

View attachment 1215225

Regards
Mikael

That is a beautiful Fallkniven! You did a great job on that!

THANK YOU, Mikael, for uploading the photos!! They really clarify the issue and show how to fix the problem with my scratched bolster. I had thought that sanding the bolster would be off-limits for someone of my modest skills, but now realize it is part of the process. Thanks again for taking the time to response. An image of my scratched bolster is here for reference: https://imgur.com/iVR3nBL

iVR3nBL

THANK YOU, Mikael, for uploading the photos!! They really clarify the issue and show how to fix the problem with my scratched bolster. I had thought that sanding the bolster would be off-limits for someone of my modest skills, but now realize it is part of the process. Thanks again for taking the time to response. An image of my scratched bolster is here for reference: https://imgur.com/iVR3nBL

iVR3nBL

Ron, looking at Your pic I see no problems with the final finish.
It will just take time, patience and some good abrasives.

Regards
Mikael

Ron, looking at Your pic I see no problems with the final finish. It will just take time, patience and some good abrasives.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!! I polished the bolster per your recommendations and it turned out pretty good. Is it perfect? -- No. Is it good enough for my brother-in-law’s Christmas present? -- Heck yeah ;-) I learned a lot. Thanks again.

hpRbVfv.jpg

Thanks!!

I'm just a beginner but I'll offer some general advice.

You sand the scales down to the bolster with medium grit, then sand them both together with finer and finer grits, then polish if you wish. So you do have sanding scratches on the bolster but then you sand and polish those out. When doing this sanding you want a hard backer behind the paper or you will sand off the wood faster than the metal and the wood won't be flush.

For knives with wood scales and no bolster I sand and finish the blade end of the scales before attaching them because I can't sand against the blade afterwards.

When I'm working on handles I wrap thin cardboard around the blade and then lots of tape over that so there won't be any accidents.

So you do have sanding scratches on the bolster but then you sand and polish those out. When doing this sanding you want a hard backer behind the paper or you will sand off the wood faster than the metal and the wood won't be flush.When I'm working on handles I wrap thin cardboard around the blade and then lots of tape over that so there won't be any accidents.

Thanks for the great advice. Next time, I'll follow your technique!

Back