1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

How to sell a knife on BladeForums

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Calebb, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Calebb

Calebb

Oct 7, 2020
    I want to sell a knife in order to fund the purchase of another knife. I’ve never sold a knife and am unfamiliar with process. I’m unsure of the value of my knife. Do you need a membership to sell a knife through these forums? My previous post came too close to a “solicitation” and I was told to “purchase a membership to ask these types of questions” . So here’s my incredibly vague cry for help on advice on how to sell my knife.

2. mfa81

mfa81

Aug 24, 2020
    you need a gold membership to be able to post a for sale thread, you need to figure out the price of your knife, ebay, facebook, previous sale, the price of it new all help you define the asking price.

Here's some info on the Gold Membership from https://www.bladeforums.com/pember/membership-new

30.00 USD for 1 year
    The Gold Standard. Allows sales in the Exchange, Avatar, Signature, Private Messaging, hidden forum access, media gallery & more.

Exchange Areas: For Sale by Individuals, Reply to WTB
    Private messaging: 100 conversations, 250 total messages
    Signature
    Media Gallery
    : Yes (20Mb)
    Create Resources: Yes

3. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Yes, you will need at least a Gold membership to sell here. Then you can post in the applicable sub-forum within the Knife Exchange.

4. Calebb

Calebb

Oct 7, 2020
    The $30 would cut into my margins substantially. I have no intentions of buying, selling, or trading any knives after this. So the gold membership doesn’t seem like the route to go. Is eBay is my best bet or is there some other place to sell knives that you’d recommend? Also, can a purchase a knife from the forums without a gold membership?

5. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Yes you can purchase without a paid membership.

Regarding ebay, keep in mind that you will have to pay the ebay final value fee, which is 10%. So that cuts into your "margins" as well.

6. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    And that the membership helps keep the site open so you can ask how and where you can take your support/business elsewhere.

7. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    It’s going to cost you either way. Might as well do it here and gift yourself the never ending knowledge and brotherhood this forum offers. If you don’t care about knives and don’t want to stick around, put it on Facebook or craigslist and call it a day. But to say you don’t want anything to cut into your margins but want to sell something online, is kind of an oxymoron. Just about everywhere and everyone (except us, only PP fees :)) charges money to sell. So good luck with that. :thumbsup:

8. Calebb

Calebb

Oct 7, 2020
    I appreciate good tools that I get use out of. Unfortunately I purchased a knife that doesn't get used. I’m just looking to recoup what I can to put towards a harder use knife (shaman).

Didn’t mean to be rude asking about other selling methods. Just would prefer a smaller loss on my bad purchase.

I’ll definitely consider getting a gold membership and posting it on here. I’ve seen a few sell pretty quick in your forums for what it cost new. Thanks for the input!

BP_ likes this.
  9. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Everywhere you are going to sell that's worth selling on will take a cut. Ebay's the only other route that's mostly safe to sell on, otherwise you have the swamps like Facebook marketplace or Craigslist.

The perk of selling here is you're reaching buyers who are very into what you're selling, knowledgeable buyers know what a knife is worth. Sure, the possibility of cashing out big on a knife sale here isn't as high as on Ebay, but on Ebay you also run the risk of someone getting a great deal off of you due to lack of interest as well. Selling here is predicable and safe, if not lucrative.

I may be a bit biased and I didn't purchase my membership in order to sell knives here, but selling here is easy and safe. Only selling one knife here might not be worth the membership, though, that's a personal choice.

jlauffer and benchwarmer380 like this.
  10. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    You’re definitely going to get a better deal here than anywhere else on your Shaman. That’ll offset your membership price some right there. Plus you’ll be able to sell yours on here. So you really can’t lose.