How to sharpen s30v on my BladeTech

That about says it all. I am by no means a rookie when it comes to sharpening a knife but I ordered 2 of these folders, black and orange scales and to tell the truth I can get them kind of hair scraping sharp, although they still cut well or good enough I guess. Should be noted they didn't come that sharp either. Ok have at it. thanks and keepem sharp

You need diamond hones to sharpen S30V, or else a LOT of spare time. I find that steels like S30V cut best with a fairly coarse edge, no more than DMT fine (red) 600 grit.

Last edited:
I love properly treated s30v. I take mine to 19* on a gatco diamond (diamond is a MUST). The fine stone leaves just the perfect toothyness, which I find gives it the best edge holding ability. Then, for touch up, I use the flat side of spyderco brown ceramic rod. Works like a charm for me

Thanks figured it out. Absolutely a coarse diamond works best. Just took a bit of time and voila, a razor sharp toothy edge. stay safe and keepem sharp

I find that steels like S30V cut best with a fairly coarse edge, no more than DMT fine (red) 600 grit.

Do you know why you can't polish the edge and have it retain the "sharpness"? Is something breaking down the edge while removing scratches? I am not disputing what
you're saying, just wondering why a polished s30 edge does not stay sharp.

Do you know why you can't polish the edge and have it retain the "sharpness"? Is something breaking down the edge while removing scratches? I am not disputing what
you're saying, just wondering why a polished s30 edge does not stay sharp.

Much depends on what's used for polishing. S30V is a steel that really benefits from using diamond (or cbn) entirely, from start to finish. If polishing it, something like 3-micron and finer diamond on a strop of firm or hard wood works very well, to keep the apex very crisp. I've used 3-micron diamond paste on basswood to polish the edge of one of my folders in S30V (Kershaw Leek), and the result was impressive, leaving a shaving-sharp polished edge that was as stable as should be expected for most mainstream steels.

If lesser abrasives, like aluminum oxide compounds, are used for polishing S30V, the matrix steel near the edge will get polished, but the vanadium carbides not so much. So, the matrix steel tends to get eroded away from around the carbides, and the edge is left less refined and also possibly weaker or unstable at a higher polish.

With that having been said, S30V is also a steel that's very, very easy to maintain with a single diamond hone, if need be. Something like a Coarse DMT (325) up to EF (1200) can leave a great working edge on S30V. With such a simple maintenance regimen that works so well, I think that's why many recommend a 'coarser' finish, rather than polishing, for it.

Back