How to sharpen TiN X-42?

Dear Ron@SOG,

the blade of a model of X-42 Autoclip is coated with Titanium Nitride. Can you give an hint what is the correct and proper way to sharpen it? Some friends of mine say it has to be sharpened only on one side, to leave the very edge made by Titanium Nitride (on the other side). It would be a kind of "chisel sharpened" blade.

Titanium Nitride is very hard, so I don't think it has to be sharpened very often, but if I have to, should I really have to sharpen it only on one side?

MTIA

Falcenberg

Hi Facenberg,

Your friends are right. For the first part of the knife's life (on a TiNi coated blade), sharpen only one side. At some point, return to normal sharpening methods. Not all X-42 AutoClips will be coated.

But with BG-42, the hardness of the blade will be Rc 62-64...that is where the real challenge will be. More regular "touch up" sharpenings will be needed. I have yet to work with it, but it should hold an edge for a really long time and be quite durable.

Hope this helps.

Ron@SOG

Ron,

you wrote:

"...At some point, return to normal sharpening methods...."

I don't see why should I return to the normal sharpening methods.

At the beginning the edge is fully coated by TiNi. After some (long) time, I have to resharpen it. I sharpen only one side of the blade, so on the other side the coating of TiNi is the very edge of the blade.

Sharpening the blade again, if I sharpened the blade on both sides, I would "eat" the thin coating of TiNi that is the edge. So the "common" ;-) steel BG-42 would be exposed.

I think I should keep sharpening the blade only one side always.

By the way, when the X-42 Autoclips (large models, TiNi coated) would be in the shops?

Falcenberg

[This message has been edited by Falcenberg (edited 04-13-2000).]

Hi Falcenberg,

Yep...It got lost. My apologies!

On a knife with a single bevel, sharpening on one side for the life of the knife is fine. On double beveled knives, if keeping the double bevel is more important than keeping the TiNi coating, then at some point reverting to sharpening both bevels is advised.

When will they be available? Late summer? It's hard to know.

Hope this answers your questions! Better late than never?

Ron@SOG

------------------
Email: ron@sogknives.com

OK, Ron!

Many Thanks for the answer, it doesn't matter if I had to remind my questions.

My only concern is I have to wait until late summer for my X-42 Autoclips :-(

My birthday is at the end of June, and I was looking for a Birthday cake tough enough to be cutted by a BG-42 blade.

OK, I have to wait...

Falcenberg

------------------
"Place your weapons and clothes where you can find them in the dark."

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Falcenberg,

I did some checking today. I've only handled the X-42 AutoClip prototype a couple of times and there is no TiNi prototype of this knife in exsistance (that I'm aware of), but have an update for you.

The non-TiNi coated X-42 AutoClips will possess a bevel on both sides of the blade. The TiNi version will have a one-side-only bevel. This meaning that you need only sharpen one side for the life of this knife.

This should clear it up for you.

If you want this knife the quickest way possible, contact our Consumer Services Department at (888) SOG-BEST, and they can turn you in the right direction.

Ron@SOG

------------------
Email: ron@sogknives.com

Thanks Ron,

but for a guy living in Italy (me), it seems a little difficult to phone to an 800- number, am I right?.

Do they have an e-mail address?

Falcenberg

[This message has been edited by Falcenberg (edited 04-19-2000).]

Hi Falcenberg,

Sorry, didn't notice where you are from. Either call our non-888 number (which is 425.771.6230) or correspond with me at ron@sogknives.com .

Thanks for the great interest in this new knife!

Ron@SOG

Back