How to sleep thru dogs barking.

Sedatives....... For You, the dogs, or the ole lady.
Each May be needed for the desired outcome.

Since a spam account (reported) dragged this back up, how about a status check?
So far it seems noise generators, possibly coupled with ear plugs of some type, may be the best I can do.
I ain't changing girls

I have severe tinnitus so I need a noise maker going to sleep. I hate it when it's quiet. I use an app on my tablet or phone connected to a bluetooth speaker turned up loud enough to drown out the ringing, would work to cover up any noise at sufficient volume. Bluetooth speaker is a Bose Color Soundlink but there are many available.

I recently saved a woodpecker's life, when it knocked itself unconscious against our window . šŸ˜‡

I rescued from the cats, just in time . Put in a cat carrier for a hour or so, until returned to alertness . Flew away .

Next day, same bird woke me up at a rudely early hour , drumming loudly on the oak plank siding , right next to my bed .

Now it rarely misses an opportunity to alert me to sunrise .

Could shoot the SOB ...but just don't have the heart . I like woodpeckers ...but . šŸ¤¬

You can dope the dogs with OTC benadryl but not every night. Google for the dosage. Go to the vet, they may have a nightly solution.

I recently saved a woodpecker's life, when it knocked itself unconscious against our window . šŸ˜‡

I rescued from the cats, just in time . Put in a cat carrier for a hour or so, until returned to alertness . Flew away .

Next day, same bird woke me up at a rudely early hour , drumming loudly on the oak plank siding , right next to my bed .

Now it rarely misses an opportunity to alert me to sunrise .

Could shoot the SOB ...but just don't have the heart . I like woodpeckers ...but . šŸ¤¬
You have befriended a Downy, Hairy or Red-Breasted woodpecker and taught it that your house is a safe place to perch. These small woodpeckers quickly lose their fear of Homo so-called-sapiens. Hairy woodpeckers are not hairy (think Harry), Downy woodpeckers cannot soften laundry, and Red-Breasted woodpeckers are redheads. You can easily check online and see which species you have attracted. They don't like garlic and peppermint, so make a solution of peppermint oil and spray the places where your little friend likes to perch.

If you'd like to keep the bird in your backyard, buy a woodpecker feeder and hang it from a tree branch 10 feet off the ground. Woodpecker feeders are metal cages for suet cakes, and suet is much appreciated in the spring when they are feeding chicks. Do not nail the feeder to a tree trunk unless you want to see how long it takes a squirrel to pull it down and break it open.

Red-Breasted woodpeckers are redheads.

So far as I can tell , my buddy is male (I assume) with a full red cap !

Our place has mature growth woods all around and is a haven for wildlife of all sorts , especially birds .

Many woodpecker species including , I believe , Pileated , which have a wonderful looney call .

Always makes me laugh to hear them !

Bose sleep earbuds. I am an accountant and have to concentrate on the computer all day. Some time for 12 hour days and 60-70 hour weeks. Dog daycare is very close to my window at work,

Built for sleep but canā€™t comment as I have net sleep with them. The do muffle and then block with white noise and are effectively for my purposes.

we also use electrical collars in our house, they can be adjusted to a very mellow settings.
I really don't think that's necessary unless you have a partially or fully deaf dog. One simple vocalization can be just as unpleasant and just as effective as any electrical shock. It doesn't have to be "no". Dogs are very emotionally aware and I think if more people understood this then they would stop trying to get the dog to behave like a robot or use manipulative tricks and gadgets like shock collars to condition them. Dogs are family. Think of them more like children. They look up to you and they don't want to to lose favor with you or to displease you. That's all you need to know in order to train them well.

Back