1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

how to stonewash?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by dulaboy, Sep 24, 2005.

1. dulaboy

dulaboy

Mar 9, 2005
    just got my MT Amphibian from Discount Supply
    http://discountsupplyunlimited.com/microtech_knives.html
    got the satin finish and it's too shiny for me. There were no Stonewash blades to be found.

How difficult would it be to get someone to stonewash it? Any cheaper alternatives?

2. Ilovetoolsteel

Ilovetoolsteel

Jul 28, 2003
    It's not difficult just expensive for one knife blade. It is an industrial process, Stone washing is done in a huge drum where parts are tumbled with "stones" and a soapy water soloution. The stones are really chunks of ceramic in different sizes and shapes. The process is commonly used in the auto industry to remove burrs from parts.

You could try rubbing out the blade with a scotchbrite pad. You could try tumbling it yourself with a coffee can and some shiney pea gravel and soapy water? Roll it back and fourth on the floor for a few hours. No
    way to guarantee you will get the result you want though!

3. Cliff Stamp

Cliff Stamp Banned BANNED

Oct 5, 1998
    Use it.

-Cliff

4. jim_w

jim_w

Jun 30, 2005
    Funniest thing I've seen today.

5. CTRcustoms

CTRcustoms

Sep 26, 2011
    I can stone wash it for around 15 dollars? pm me if your interested

6. OrdnanceBubbaUSMC

OrdnanceBubbaUSMC

May 23, 2004
    I think you just barely missed him dude

7. mdc5162

mdc5162

Nov 3, 2010
    hahahaha

8. EagleScouter

EagleScouter

Jun 18, 2011
    Welcome to Bladeforums. Like the others said, you're a little late for this thread. :D

9. RandomAyes

RandomAyes

Oct 19, 2009
    I have predicted with 99.9% accuracy who'll win Superbowl XXXIX. PM me if interested ;)

But seriously, you can stonewash at home in your clothes dryer.
    [video=youtube;zrZUi2cV5XI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrZUi2cV5XI[/video]

10. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    Wow, Six friggin years later. This has to be some kind of record. :eek:

11. EagleScouter

EagleScouter

Jun 18, 2011
    I've seen ten. Seriously.

12. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    Holy god! That's impressive.

13. Korea Has Nukes

Korea Has Nukes Banned by Moderators

Aug 2, 2013
    I am bringing this thread back to life!!!! lol

14. rustyrazor

rustyrazor KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 13, 2011
    Well... While we're on the topic, I wouldn't mind a cheap solution to get a tumbled or stone washed look. Anyone got a cheap set up?

15. Grease

Grease

May 10, 2012
    A friend of mine stonewashed his first custom by putting it in a tupperware container with some round-ish rocks and soapy water, and hand shaking the whole thing until it looked good. Turned out great, too.

16. Omega Leather Works

Omega Leather Works

Jun 13, 2007
    Just know that it'll totally blunt the edge.

I got my rocks in the pet fish area at Walmart. They are the black river rock. Some have broken apart, but they still do a good job. I have yet to see a home job that looks anything close to as nice as, say, a Sebenza blade.