How tough is the Becker/Reinhardt BK21

I like to hear from people who have put this knife through some tough choires.
I'm a bit weary about the narrow part just in front of the handle.

Does it hold up against some hard chopping.
I know the BK9 does quite well, but this one is a good 4 inches longer, and has that narrow part in front of the handle.
1095, in this case 1095CV, does it hold up well for such a long blade..

Last edited:
I have not put mine through what I would consider tough chores. I have tested it out enough to see how I like it and compare it to other Beckers I own and have used more. I can say it seems to do quite well and is a fun blade to use. Hope to use it more soon .As far as your question I can't give you an answer on a long term durability test, but I haven't heard of any 21's being broken yet and if the narrow area was an issue surly by now it would have happened. Today is your lucky day they are half off at KaBar a good time for you to try one out. :D
IMG_0725.JPG

Last edited:
I love my bk21. I put my blades through some serious chopping and batoning tasks, so if it will hold up to my abuse, I'm sure it will yours too!

5equqGW.jpg

Ah , positive responses.
Nice !

Those are reassuring.

Xr6x,

I haven't heard of any broken yet either.
But at Amazon, there weren't many reviews/experiences to read, unlike for example the BK9 , which has a huge crowd.
Personally, I like the larger kukri's and machete's better. The 9 felt more like a large knife to me, though it chops well for it size, it's not near a machete or kukri.
I live outside the USA. Ka-bar says they don't ship overseas? No problem . Though they are pricey here, it will not stop me from buying one or even two ..:eek: (more is better, in the case of knives)

azwelke,

thank you for your positive experience with the BK21. Very good to hear.

91bravo,

yes , that's my main concern, that the Becker/Reinhardt Kukri holds up when chopping (at the narrow part that is).
The BK21 a beauty , really , but it has to be capable as well.
Those two features makes it a winner.

I also read that some put a convex edge on it. Which make a lot of difference in performance.

Do you guys sharpen it with a work sharp/belt sander, or with ceramic/diamond rods?

The thing is, the BK21 isn't talked about too much.
Which is strange to me.
It's an awesome looking knife.
It has a bit the appearence of a Greek Kopis. Very impressive.

I love my bk21. I put my blades through some serious chopping and batoning tasks, so if it will hold up to my abuse, I'm sure it will yours too!

5equqGW.jpg
That is one very nice fire preps. :thumbsup:

Something tells me that Ethan wouldn't have sanctioned the build of something that would bear his name, if it wasn't up to the task that laid ahead of it.

I absolutely agree; Ethan says his knives work for a living and he likes them worked!

Of all my many Beckers - to include duplicates, I never bought a BK21 ... however, I could not resist the half-off sale.

I absolutely agree; Ethan says his knives work for a living and he likes them worked!

Of all my many Beckers - to include duplicates, I never bought a BK21 ... however, I could not resist the half-off sale.

I've handled most of the Beckers and to me, the bk21 is one of the best of the lineup! I've grown really fond of it as a power chopper, as it really throws some big chips. It can also generate some massive power behind the swing!

When I got one in a trade at the last BeckerWest gathering I decided to chop through a 2x6 on a sawhorse that was laying around. It took a bit of effort but I probably abused it more than any normal person would have and it held up fine. I wouldn’t be afeared of it breaking.

In all reality there are certain factors that allow one to use the daylights out of a Becker knife with confidence:

1095 CroVan;
Design and testing before "BK&T" name goes on it;
Company behind it is KaBar;
Uncle E.

Last night the BK21 was used in an episode of Zombie Go Boom, because KA-BAR is working with the guys over there. The Becker easily impressed and wowed them.
Yes, that was quite entertaining.
Though in all fairness, many machetes will go through that "Ivan" skull without too much problems. Even the ones that are prone to breakage like one Schrade kukri.

The guy wielding the BK21 , said that he's "never really been a big fan of kukri's because the blades are usually too thick, they don't go through so much, there's alot of displacement to those wider blades"(exact words). And the other guy mentions the thick blades/kukri's 'bludgeon'. The thinner blades go through more easily. The Schrade Schkm1 did well in the zombie chop test. But when going at wood there seems to be quite a lot of failures. An inch or two above the handle.. Might be the 3Cr13 Stainless Steel they used. And/or the heat treat as well.

Last edited:
My bk21 serves me well at work, chopping down Mimosa, scrub brush and briars.

X8adnAx.jpg

QXsvf0T.jpg

WZ34T8N.jpg
Very nice blades :) I like that.
I've handled most of the Beckers and to me, the bk21 is one of the best of the lineup! I've grown really fond of it as a power chopper, as it really throws some big chips. It can also generate some massive power behind the swing!
That is also positive feedback . Power chopper. When using it like that it must hold up well. Very good to hear that it does.

When I got one in a trade at the last BeckerWest gathering I decided to chop through a 2x6 on a sawhorse that was laying around. It took a bit of effort but I probably abused it more than any normal person would have and it held up fine. I wouldn’t be afeared of it breaking.
That's good to hear KingMC :thumbsup: , that was my concern. That it will held up to that.
But there are already quite a few positive comments that it does hold up well to some hard work..

Back