How Would You Rate Emerson Knives ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolverine666

Gold Member
I've been thinking about trying a couple Emerson knives. I have no experience with this brand but they look decent. How is the quality ? Good fit and finish ? Are they on par with Spyderco and Benchmade quality-wise ?

Overall quality wise, yes, I would consider them on par with most Spydercos and Benchmades. Fit and finish wise, Spyderco has the edge on both companies IMHO.

Emersons are a tad different though. No matter what we say here you wont know if Emersons are for you until you get one in your hand and use it. If you like it, it probably wont be your last and if you don't like it you wont have a problem trading or selling it.

Quality is a bit iffy for me, given the tendency for 154CM to chip, which I find surprising given how soft they run it. I like the designs and the light weight, but I'm not a fan of the reverse chisel grind, the chisel edge, and the late lockups of the linerlock(also sticky as hell prior to break-in), which sometimes contact the opposite liner.

I could however suggest considering the ZT/Emerson collaborative knife(0620), which should be due for release later this year. It would be the best of both worlds, with Emerson's designs being executed with ZT quality and F&F. Lock wear should be a non-issue with the steel insert on the framelock.

But as far as general purchases go, the Big Three(Kershaw/ZT, Spyderco, Benchmade) still has my wallet hostage:D. Emerson also haven't upgraded their steel beyond the soft and chippy 154CM.

I'll be honest, they aren't on par with Spyderco or Benchmade. That doesn't make them sub-par, though. I've owned a handful of Emersons (CQC 7, Horseman, Mini CQC 7 and Mini Commander) and they were all solid knives. Their ergos are good, G10 is grippy and you get a decent chunk of chisel ground 154CM.

They get the job done, in a no-frills kind of way. You would do well to check the exchange, as I wouldn't recommend paying full price for a brand new one. I think you should at least try one out, just don't buy into the hype or the bashing. Make up your own mind.

For what it's worth, I prefer my Zero Tolerance folders any day of the week. But that's just me.

They're probably like twice the price they should be given materials and fit and finish. If you're not concerned with price:value ratio or with fit and finish as long as it gets the job done, it's worth trying them out. Otherwise I'd wait for the Kershaw/ZT models

I avoided them for many of the reasons you typically read about here... avoided them for years. Instead, I made my long march through just about every other folder out there, all over the price and materials spectrum. Today, the only modern folders I carry are one of my two Emersons--either the CQC 13 or the Super 7 (mostly the latter). Nearly all the rest I've sold; only fixed and traditionals left except for a few rare/ limited runs. Truth be told, I got a killer deal on the Super 7 and didn't mind paying close to the going rate for the 13. I still tote around a CS recon 1 because it's a great back-up to have in my pack, but the Emersons are my go to folders. The f&f on the two I have are spot on, blade centered, lock-up tight, no play, etc... and once you get how to sharpen the chisel grind (either the full on chisel of the 7 or the v grind of the 13) they get very, very sharp. Soft steel? Not really--it's what you would expect from 154cm. I have no issues sharpening, so that matter is put to rest as well... I can bring the edge back anywhere with just a ceramic stone. Spyderco's "golden stone" is my favorite.

So, go ahead and try one out. Communicate with the seller--ask if there are any issues with f&f; I did--there were a couple I passed on and a couple I bought... with no regrets.

Let us know what you decide. Best of luck and just have fun with it...

I've fingered a few, but they've never given me warm & fuzzies.... (of the ones I've handled) I thought the F&F was sub-par, and the style was rough & unfinished - like great intentions that were never seen through.

BUT, as others have said, only you can decide if its your thing. If not, they seem to hold value well and are easy to unload on the exchange or other internet auction sites. If you already like the looks, and can do a little cherry picking, you'll probably really enjoy one.

I personally love my two emersons I have the cqc-15 and 13 both of which are really solid and robust. The way I view it is basically like holding a fistful of fuck yeah, they are really durable and inspire a lt of confidence in them. In the long run though there is only one way to know if you will like them or not which is to buy one for your self.

I think the quality is good and some of their blades have great geometry. The finishes themselves are plain in a cosmetic sense, and you have almost zero options other than a few different shades of G10 on a few models. G10 is nonetheless super durable, and I think they do a great job machining it. They are also using coatings that I consider to be very durable. I also think they do one of the best looking and performing stonewashed finishes in the business.

With that said, one hesitation I personally have is that I feel the premium pricing does not match with the steel being used. As much as I like 154CM, $200 buys a folder in virtually any exotic steel one may desire, and often with handles that have some cosmetic features. I would also prefer both liners be made of titanium.

This usage of 154CM instead of CPM-154 (or something like ELMAX, S35VN, RWL-34, XHP, M390, etc.) makes it harder for me to purchase their knives because the pricing is in the territory of knives with exotic super steels with titanium alloy handles/frame locks. As much as I really like the Commander, it is priced similar to a Pro-Tech TR-3 Integrity, which uses a titanium frame lock, S35VN steel, great ergos, and a fantastic fit and finish. Likewise, this is in a price ballpark of the ZT0560, which uses ELMAX, titanium frame locks, advanced pivot/detent designs, and advanced machining of titanium and G10 alike. If Emerson moved to CPM-154 or something with similar performance to it, I would be able to justify purchasing many more of their knives because it would be a major performance improvement and better help it compete against other knives within the respective price ranges.

At least that's my personal take.

Bought a Commander and liked it, but I sold it. I don't like how the scales and liners are held together with those small screws. If Emerson ever constructs their knives with larger screws, something that won't strip out so easily I would get another one. If the ZT model Emerson reviews well I plan on getting one as it looks more heavily constructed.

How about considering a Southern Grind Bad Monkey instead? Just put one in my pocket today and so far am very impressed. The fit and finish are top notch. Some complain about the steel but I put it through its paces today and it handled flawlessly!

I don't own a Emersen Knife <<<< can't even spell the name let alone own one ~~ so I really don't see me saying yea or neh
about the knife really.!** Hope this explains it.^^

I had a few Emersons, and the only one that spoke to me isn't actually an Emerson (one of the Benchmade lefty models). Emersons are like the small shops producing cars styled like older cars. They don't perform very well, the quality isn't staggering, and they push no envelope in any way. People still love the hell out of them.

What gets me is their "hard use" marketing, when a whole lot of them have lock stability issues. I had 3 real Emersons, and two had sketchy locks (one failed with slight pressure). Emerson made a very bad choice by trying to call a liner lock hard use (frame locks have safety built in by your hand stopping the lock for opening all the way). I don't care is some of them are perfectly strong, I will never trust a liner lock to anything more than light duty.

Emerson also made a bad choice with screw design. Threading a screw with very small threads into a thin titanium liner is asking for a screw to strip. I have had a bunch of knives with screws that went into titanium, and they were all either threaded into steel or the threads were pretty big and the screws were long. Same thing goes for threading into aluminum... just don't do it.

Emerson knives don't suck, they just don't give the same wow that other knives do, especially when price is concerned. Emerson also made some decisions that were real head scratchers. His wave design is pure genius, though.

The wave feature is the company's saving grace. I just traded for a cqc8 and it will be the third one I've had. Dont know why I made the trade though really as I'll just probably turn around and either sell or trade it lol. I will say they make the BEST folding karambit on the market though.

I've been using knives for over fifty years and finally had to pick up an Emerson CQC 7AW, it has a V grind but still chisel sharpened. I never had a knife with a wave or chisel grind so I had to check it out. They are very popular in this and the other forums so there must be something to it.
If you are expecting CRK, Hinderer, Spyderco,or Benchmade quality, you may be disappointed. I know all the hype about being a using knife and the background of the designer, however as others have pointed out a few upgrades would put them closer to the aforementioned companies. The screws are very thin, the standoffs are small and most likely plastic, the liner lock sticks and doesn't give the user a feel of confidence. Out of the box it feels gritty and in fact I took it apart and cleaned all the crap out of the pivot and used Nano Oil on the pivot and re adjusted it, feels so much better.
All that said it is not a bad knife and I like it, I actually ordered another, A100. I like the disc, wave, and grippy black G10. I also like the man behind the knife, he is passionate, doesn't really care about negative comments, disciplined and has been successful. Like others have said you need to try it out for you to see if its right for you.

I'm gonna pick up a mini cqc-15 and see for myself. Thanks for the input everyone. I've been on a knife buying tirade lately.

And I'm going to check out a couple of those other brands that were mentioned too (pro tech tr3 and southern bad monkey).

I'm gonna pick up a mini cqc-15 and see for myself. Thanks for the input everyone. I've been on a knife buying tirade lately.

And I'm going to check out a couple of those other brands that were mentioned too (pro tech tr3 and southern bad monkey).

I'd suggest rereading post #2. That's the only thing that's really going help you with an Emerson. It's kinda hard to separate fact from fiction from hearsay from opinions about Ernest himself from fantasy from... well, you get the picture.

I like my 3 current ones and consider them worth every penny I paid. They've never let me down, they've never failed in any way, they're simple to maintain and easy to sharpen, and mine are as solid today as when I first bought them brand new. Anything else I don't care about. They're the only knives besides my Paras that I don't consider selling or trading. But that's just me and my opinions based on my limited experience with them. You can find other folks that are just the opposite.

If you really want to know for yourself... you'll have to try one for yourself.

ETA: good choice on the mini-15. That was my first Emerson, I still have her, and she's still as solid as when she came off the dealer's shelf a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back