how young is too young?

I bought my son and daughter knives at 7 or 8. Both were shown the correct way to handle them.
At the amazement of everyone else the kids took them in stride.
I can still hear........aren't you afraid they will get cut?
My reply............they probably will,after the first time they will be more careful.

Most folks don,t think about the fact that these kids handle bigger knives just doing dishes.

Greg

------------------
Always do right....this will gratify some and astonish the rest.

I was 6-7 when I was given my first knife. But, I was given a nifty carpenter's tool kit at age 3; and it didn't take me very long to significantly modify a few pieces of furniture...hmmmmm, I wonder what happen to my tool kit...
frown.gif

I would suggest we test the kid first. Give the little person a blunted sissor and watch what he/she does. If they start to destroy the place then they are probably not ready for a knife.

I once gave knives to my ex-boyfriend's teenage boys for birthday or Christmas (his suggestion/approval). The two younger ones (twins) were fine with theirs - I think I gave them a small Old-Timer or Uncle Henry, and as far as I know never did any damage or cut themselves. I believe they had previously had small knives.

But the oldest I gave a larger, sharper knife, and... smartass show-off that he was, had friends around and was also playing video games and decided to open up and show off his knive. Of course, he immediately sliced a deep cut in one of his fingers. I felt very bad that I had given him the knife because I knew what a jerk-off he could be.

But I let the father deal with it and kept my opinions to myself.

Haven't given any knives to kids since then.

TJ

------------------
totallyjudy

There is one rule:
Never postpone your life for a man.

TJ, There is just one more rule:

Never postpone giving a knife because some people can't handle it!

You are absolutely right. I think that from now on..... my female friends will be getting appropriate folding knives from me for birthdays, Christmas, etc. It's time to introduce them to knives. They probably won't become KnifeKnuts, but at least they will have a decent knife when they need one to cut the ribbon/open the box on the presents their SO's lavish upon them!

TJ

------------------
totallyjudy

There is one rule:
Never postpone your life for a man.

:
I can't really recall when I got my 1st knife, but I remember using my mom's paring knives when I was about 5 or 6.
When I was 7 I started carrying my dad's old Western Hunting in my belt without a sheath and carried it all around the fields and bogs in Florida.
And yup, I got cut as well from the very beginning, but never too badly and a few cuts never stopped me from going back.
Not only did we carry knives to school when I was a kid, the ones who were in Jr.High shop class got to make a forged knife if they wanted too.

As far as how young is too young, I believe it depends on the child.
And a lot of that depends on where the child lives and the life style the child is being raised in.
I think it's pretty easy to tell when a child is ready and reponsible enough to have their very own knife.

And I think it's really cool when a lady has knives of their own as well besides the kitchen knives. My wife has a Kershaw 1216, Schrade Stockman, 15"H.I.Ang Khola Khukuri, and a 12"H.I. Village "Balance" khukuri. When we go out hunting, fishing or walking in the woods she carries one of "our" hunting knives.
My wife is also a terror with her 15" AK at chopping.
And now that she is becoming more and more aware of what a good knife really is she is starting to show the signs of becoming a real knife knut. Kinda scary.
smile.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Each person's work is always a portrait of himself.

---- Samuel Butler.

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

Back