Howard clark bowie

Please post pics, we would really like to see them.

Price is subject to many considerations, frankly.

See, Howard found his niche making Japanese style swords, and he is not currently taking orders, as he is booked up until 2007+, so a bowie from Howard would be fairly scarce.

I would, however, call or e-mail him at Mogan Valley Forge, and ask him if he WERE to make the knife now, what would he charge? This would give you a baseline price to charge, and you could figure out how much you want from there.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Here is a pic not very good one will try to get better pics

Picture231.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

I stand by my advice to call/e-mail Howard for his current price.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks for the advice like i said i'm just considering sell it some other knives will go first.

I have one, but simple 1086M. It's being re-handled by Nick Wheeler... It had a stag & wrought iron handle and I wanted a synthetic handle - micarta or G10. It is meant as a user, and honestly I don't think stag can match some of the synthetic materials.

I know what I paid but not what it's worth. His stuff is very scarce and he's a master bladesmith, with an understanding of heat treatment that few can match. On mine though, the F&F was sub-par compared to other MS. On mine and yours, the esthetics are IMHO very questionable (width of the handle at the guard compared with the ricasso, etc).

He made it for me as an exception, and maybe the fact that I own several other of his pieces (pattern welded katana, tanto, and yari head, and a Turkish damascus folder) had something to do with this. I'm not planning on selling mine.

Good looking? From Steven, King of honesty?

Well, it's from Howard so we know it will cut like the dickens, but I doubt it would pass current JS testing, even if it were not damascus.

Don't get me wrong, Howard is the MAN! But this is a pretty crude piece.

John

It is a beautiful blade, and the guard is fine. The handle could use sculpting, but I can say that about many of Howard's earlier work.

Don Fogg has made a fair amount of knives that I found aesthetically unapplealing, so has Bailey Bradshaw, Jerry Fisk, John Fitch, Arpad Bojtos.........I have been trying to keep it in context.

Fine, you want honesty, If it was me, I would Garssonize the handle so the walrus ivory matched the contours of the blade, other than that, I like it.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I really like the blade shape but the handle could use a bit of Garssonizing :D

Also, Howard made some super folders in the early to mid 90's.

maybe I should have been more clear only the blade is Howards the handle was made by a friend of mine

cptmike223 said:
maybe I should have been more clear only the blade is Howards the handle was made by afriend of mine

Frankly, it looks like an early Howard Clark handle, real early.:D

Because your friend put the handle on it, it is no longer a Howard Clark knife, it is a Howard Clark blade, a finished one, but not a knife, at least not in the western sense.

This decreases the value....by a fair amount. Not sure what else to say.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Very nice looking blade to me. I agree the handle needs some curves in the right places. I'd like a better look at the butt as well (that's an important area when it comes to curves you know ;) .
STeven and co., can you show me a picture of "Garssonizing"? :D

xuesheng said:
Very nice looking blade to me. I agree the handle needs some curves in the right places. I'd like a better look at the butt as well (that's an important area when it comes to curves you know ;) .
STeven and co., can you show me a picture of "Garssonizing"? :D

"Garssonizing" is not something that I can really photograph, but I do think that there is a post on Burt Foster knives somewhere that shows a before and after.

Sometimes it is just as simple as changing a thumbstud on a knife to something more attractive to me. Sometimes it is a very radical re-profiling of a blade, reshaping of a handle or, completely rebuilding the knife.

It has some elements of controversy to it, because some people, both collectors and makers feel it is a violation of the makers' intent. In the case of MY Matt Roberts knife, I hit the handle with the buffer a few times, because that lazy, cheap SOB refuses to buy one until he moves, and no matter what kind of sandpaper you use, you can't really replace a buffer.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back