Howard's classic.

When we moved to Texas in 2015, the 55 plus neighborhood we bought in had a breakfast club. I should say, an old farts breakfast club. The fellow old retired guys would need for breakfast every Thursday morning for the BS and tall tales meeting, as well as discussing neighborhood issues. Its quiet a collection of characters.

On in particular I got to be friends with is Howard. An old time born and raised Texan that has worked in the oil fields, as a ranch hand, and general rough neck and roust about. He knows how to do a lot of things from installing a gas water heater to a top end job on an engine, to installing new kitchen counters. A very handy guy to know, once you understand what the heck he's saying. He has a west Texas drawl that you need a cement trowel to deal with. No, thats not right, maybe a coal shovel.

Howard is old school. Very old school. Like with guns, he's still using a single action Colt .45. None of those new fangled semi autos for him. He doesn't even like a double acton revolver, got to be a single action. Maybe its the cowboy heritage, Howard certainly looks the part. Like a badly weathered creased Ed Harris, he looks like he's made of old rawhide and barb wire. In Texas speak, that's pronounced "Bob-whar." Howard's Colt looks the part as well, lkemaybe its been through a few sand storms and gritty holsters, a lot of blue is gone leaving a soft silvery looking revolver. But we've been to the range and I'll testify that Howard is dead nuts accurate with that old .45.

Howard also thinks its just silly to spend more than 10 dollars on a pocket knife that he's going to toss in the trash in a year or two. Howard grew up using those old shell handle Imperials that the five and dime store sold for about the same price as a small nail clipper. When they because a thing of the past, he went to the little Buck mini Buck lock blade. He'd use them up by heavy use and stropping on whatever was at hand right now. A iron railing, a smooth stone from the creek he's fishing, the sole of the cowboy boot he's got on his foot, anything. He says he wears out or breaks the mini Bucks in a year or two.

One of Howard's quirks is, he wants a knife small enough that it drops in his watch pocket of his jeans with room to spare and not make a bulge that is annoying reaching into the right hand main pocket. Thats where Howard carries his .38 double barrel derringer. In other words about a 3 inch closed size, or less. Little pen knife size. We got to talking about knives once and his comment was sooooo typical of the old timers like Howard. He said "Well chicken piss, if I'm goin huntin, I'll carry a huntin knife. For fishin, I got a fishin knife. The penknife in my pocket is just for whatever little thing I gotta cut." With Howard, that could mean anything from stripping wire for an electrical job, to breaking down a cardboard box for the recycle bin or cutting off the end of the cigars he likes.

Then some 10 years ago, Howard was on the hunt for a new knife. His old Buck mini Buck with the black plastic handles broke and he needed another "penknife." At Walmart he didn't find the mini Buck like he was used to, they were out of stock. They had some other knives that were too big, and a few other small enough knives, but they were made in China, and Howard won't buy a Chinese knife, even if it has the Buck brand on it. And it had to be 10 dollars or less. Preferably less, as it was going to be tossed when "used up" as Howard out it. Then the clerk showed him a classic. it was small enough, had one blade, which is all Howard says he needs, and he was intrigued by the little screw driver tip on the nail file as he saw it as maybe not breaking his blade prying something. The scissors he was moot about but thought they could be useful. Only trouble was, it was not madden U.S.A.. But the Walmart clerk deserved to have a medal pined on him. He told Howard that Switzerland was neutral, and definitely not a communist country. A miracle happened and Howard bought a 'foreign' made knife.

Over the next year or two, Howard used the ever lovin dog poo out of that poor little classic. It cut, sniped, screwed, and actually held together. It stripped wire for soldering, and it pleased Howard with its ability to deal with small Phillips screws. Howard had never had a small SAK before, and it was a revelation to him. He even used the scissors for cutting fine copper 'whar" as Howard's Texas drawl put it. A handle cracked off so Howard put some epoxy on it and stuck it back on and kept on going. After almost two years it was a wreck, and true to his nature, Howard went to Walmart and bought a new classic. They were a little over 10 dollars by this time but Howard got it. He likes how it has more capability than his old single blade Mini Buck, even if its a two dollars more in price.

The Victorinox classic became Howard's new disposable knife.

Howard is amazed at how people will spend 30 or even 40 dollars for a pocket knife. To Howard and some of his generation, a pocket knife is a disposable item that gets used up. I showed him my executive and he was like "oh hell's bells son, I can buy three of these little things for that price. Thirty four dollars. jeez Louise."

I guess its all in where you are coming from and how you grew up.

When we moved to Texas in 2015, the 55 plus neighborhood we bought in had a breakfast club. I should say, an old farts breakfast club. The fellow old retired guys would need for breakfast every Thursday morning for the BS and tall tales meeting, as well as discussing neighborhood issues. Its quiet a collection of characters.

On in particular I got to be friends with is Howard. An old time born and raised Texan that has worked in the oil fields, as a ranch hand, and general rough neck and roust about. He knows how to do a lot of things from installing a gas water heater to a top end job on an engine, to installing new kitchen counters. A very handy guy to know, once you understand what the heck he's saying. He has a west Texas drawl that you need a cement trowel to deal with. No, thats not right, maybe a coal shovel.

Howard is old school. Very old school. Like with guns, he's still using a single action Colt .45. None of those new fangled semi autos for him. He doesn't even like a double acton revolver, got to be a single action. Maybe its the cowboy heritage, Howard certainly looks the part. Like a badly weathered creased Ed Harris, he looks like he's made of old rawhide and barb wire. In Texas speak, that's pronounced "Bob-whar." Howard's Colt looks the part as well, lkemaybe its been through a few sand storms and gritty holsters, a lot of blue is gone leaving a soft silvery looking revolver. But we've been to the range and I'll testify that Howard is dead nuts accurate with that old .45.

Howard also thinks its just silly to spend more than 10 dollars on a pocket knife that he's going to toss in the trash in a year or two. Howard grew up using those old shell handle Imperials that the five and dime store sold for about the same price as a small nail clipper. When they because a thing of the past, he went to the little Buck mini Buck lock blade. He'd use them up by heavy use and stropping on whatever was at hand right now. A iron railing, a smooth stone from the creek he's fishing, the sole of the cowboy boot he's got on his foot, anything. He says he wears out or breaks the mini Bucks in a year or two.

One of Howard's quirks is, he wants a knife small enough that it drops in his watch pocket of his jeans with room to spare and not make a bulge that is annoying reaching into the right hand main pocket. Thats where Howard carries his .38 double barrel derringer. In other words about a 3 inch closed size, or less. Little pen knife size. We got to talking about knives once and his comment was sooooo typical of the old timers like Howard. He said "Well chicken piss, if I'm goin huntin, I'll carry a huntin knife. For fishin, I got a fishin knife. The penknife in my pocket is just for whatever little thing I gotta cut." With Howard, that could mean anything from stripping wire for an electrical job, to breaking down a cardboard box for the recycle bin or cutting off the end of the cigars he likes.

Then some 10 years ago, Howard was on the hunt for a new knife. His old Buck mini Buck with the black plastic handles broke and he needed another "penknife." At Walmart he didn't find the mini Buck like he was used to, they were out of stock. They had some other knives that were too big, and a few other small enough knives, but they were made in China, and Howard won't buy a Chinese knife, even if it has the Buck brand on it. And it had to be 10 dollars or less. Preferably less, as it was going to be tossed when "used up" as Howard out it. Then the clerk showed him a classic. it was small enough, had one blade, which is all Howard says he needs, and he was intrigued by the little screw driver tip on the nail file as he saw it as maybe not breaking his blade prying something. The scissors he was moot about but thought they could be useful. Only trouble was, it was not madden U.S.A.. But the Walmart clerk deserved to have a medal pined on him. He told Howard that Switzerland was neutral, and definitely not a communist country. A miracle happened and Howard bought a 'foreign' made knife.

Over the next year or two, Howard used the ever lovin dog poo out of that poor little classic. It cut, sniped, screwed, and actually held together. It stripped wire for soldering, and it pleased Howard with its ability to deal with small Phillips screws. Howard had never had a small SAK before, and it was a revelation to him. He even used the scissors for cutting fine copper 'whar" as Howard's Texas drawl put it. A handle cracked off so Howard put some epoxy on it and stuck it back on and kept on going. After almost two years it was a wreck, and true to his nature, Howard went to Walmart and bought a new classic. They were a little over 10 dollars by this time but Howard got it. He likes how it has more capability than his old single blade Mini Buck, even if its a two dollars more in price.

The Victorinox classic became Howard's new disposable knife.

Howard is amazed at how people will spend 30 or even 40 dollars for a pocket knife. To Howard and some of his generation, a pocket knife is a disposable item that gets used up. I showed him my executive and he was like "oh hell's bells son, I can buy three of these little things for that price. Thirty four dollars. jeez Louise."

I guess its all in where you are coming from and how you grew up.

One thing that struck me about Howard is how he mentions having a hunting knife for hunting and a fishing knife for fishing. That's exactly how I grew up...until somewhere in my mid 20s. For some reason...advertising I'm sure, I started to think I needed a knife that does it all. A knife that will keep me alive when I was lost in the wilderness during the zombie apocalypse. A knife that will keep me alive during hand to hand combat. I still have that mentality lurking in my brain somewhere...that the knife I carry needs to be oversized to handle absolutely everything. That's how we were convinced to start obsessing about who has the best locking mechanism, whose knife has the latest supersteel that will stay sharp for a year, but good luck trying to re-sharpen. To do that I had to buy a crazy expensive sharpening system. Has anyone else gone down this rabbit hole? I wish I would have remembered the old timers like Howard I grew up with. I wish I didn't look down on my uncle when I was 8, needing a box opened and he pulled out a peanut sized Schrade knife.

Dean

One thing that struck me about Howard is how he mentions having a hunting knife for hunting and a fishing knife for fishing. That's exactly how I grew up...until somewhere in my mid 20s. For some reason...advertising I'm sure, I started to think I needed a knife that does it all. A knife that will keep me alive when I was lost in the wilderness during the zombie apocalypse. A knife that will keep me alive during hand to hand combat. I still have that mentality lurking in my brain somewhere...that the knife I carry needs to be oversized to handle absolutely everything. That's how we were convinced to start obsessing about who has the best locking mechanism, whose knife has the latest supersteel that will stay sharp for a year, but good luck trying to re-sharpen. To do that I had to buy a crazy expensive sharpening system. Has anyone else gone down this rabbit hole? I wish I would have remembered the old timers like Howard I grew up with. I wish I didn't look down on my uncle when I was 8, needing a box opened and he pulled out a peanut sized Schrade knife.

Dean

Dean, you've hit on the most powerful force on earth, and it isn't the nuclear bomb, fission, nor even faith. Its the power of advertising. Hype, mixed in with a little smoke and mirrors and a dash of Hollywood tossed in can move mountains, and influence people to buy stuff they absolutely don't need. The knife industry discovered it as did the car industry, and the gun industry. Thats why you have people carrying a pocket knife designed to pry open a tank hatch, carrying a gun capable of taking on a platoon of Chinese paratrooper, and driving big crew cab pickup trucks or over size SUV's as the family car.

I know I've written almost to a depressing regularity, but after growing up around men who were called the 'greatest generation' I became very cynical about the so called modern stuff. Growing up around men like my Uncle Sonny, who at 18 just after the Japanese hit Pearl Harbor was an education. Here was this kid who joined the army, became a B-17 co-pilot at 20 and pilot soon after. This kid flew a bomber through flack, ME-109 attacks, and on one occasion was given medals for stuff that John Wayne would have made a movie about, like getting the plane back to England on two engines and badly shot up, and refusing to bailout because he had unconscious wounded aboard. He drove a plain old Chevy station wagon and carried a little two blade pen knife.

Or my Uncle Charlie, who waded onto a beach in Normandy, and walked to Germany carrying an M1. He ended up with a career as a printing press operator for the government printing office in Washington D.C. driving a Dodge sedan and carrying his old issue Camillus TL-29 that he wore down to almost nothing. He was over joyed when I brought him a new TL-29 when I came home on leave. He carried that in his pocket until his death. Common men who did uncommon things yet were humble and down to earth. They didn't read gun or knife magazines or car magazines. They didn't know they were supposed to be equipped to deal with a zombi apocalypse. They had dealt with Hitlers Third Riche but that job was over so they dealt with real life.

Against this background I became very cynical about the modern urban commando with a Glock 17, three spare magazines and two knives built for Russian tank destroying, just to go to the store for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.

All those old guys had a hunting knife, or a fishing knife, but day to day, they just lived life with a little two blade pen knife the size of a Victorinox secretary or Buck 309 companion. Many of them kept their old P-38 in the wallet as a multitool tha got used as a can opener, screw driver, boot scaper, and whatever. The P-38 was the old Multitool of their generation. I think they would just shake their heads in disbelief of the young guys now.

IMO, there’s nothing essentially wrong with having an interest in various types of knives, steels, etc., in and of itself. I can think of worse things, like gambling addictions, etc. What I do take issue with is when uninformed individuals make statements like, “SAKs are nothing but cheap, useless junk steel knives. They (meaning Victorinox) should upgrade their junk steel at least to S30V, but no, they insist on using their same old junk steel, so they’re nothing but cheap gimmicks that aren’t good for anything.” I’m paraphrasing from various posts of that nature, but you get the gist.

An SAK, of whatever size or configuration, is only as useful or as useless as the person who uses it.

Jim

Jim, you're absolutely right in that collecting for an interest is good, but I see sooooo many that accumulate because they had an interest that got skewed into an obsession by the influence of certain factors like advertising and magazine articles in publications that are nothing but shills for a greedy industry. Misguiding people for profit is something I find mildly disgusting.

People collect stamps, coins, beer cans, match books, antique toys, and all kinds of stuff. Karens sisters fella collects coins and I'm kinda 'meh' on them. Roy will come back from a coin show and show me this coin going off like "look at this! Its a 1923 Argentine peso that they made only 4,243 of and its in almost mint condition!" I totally don't get it.

But the knife industry and gun industry has these people thinking they need these over hyped over priced items for their very survival.

But the knife industry and gun industry has these people thinking they need these over hyped over priced items for their very survival.

Completely agree on the over hyped and over priced items that one "needs" for one's survival. Heck, you even hear big survival celebrities say that one "needs" a knife that is at least 3/16" thick to be good for survival... These days I try to buy only knives that I either have a need for or genuine curiosity about. And, unless it is handmade, I find that pretty much any factory/machine made knife over $50-70 is overpriced.

IMO, there’s nothing essentially wrong with having an interest in various types of knives, steels, etc., in and of itself. I can think of worse things, like gambling addictions, etc. What I do take issue with is when uninformed individuals make statements like, “SAKs are nothing but cheap, useless junk steel knives. They (meaning Victorinox) should upgrade their junk steel at least to S30V, but no, they insist on using their same old junk steel, so they’re nothing but cheap gimmicks that aren’t good for anything.” I’m paraphrasing from various posts of that nature, but you get the gist.

An SAK, of whatever size or configuration, is only as useful or as useless as the person who uses it.

James, those remarks are symptomatic of much of the problems of today. The person has that opinion, fine; he/she is entitled to one. But putting out like that is simply about spreading negativity to others, and then people wonder why suicide rates are on the rise, or some people flip the switch! The thing about other times that I miss the most is that people were ok to respectfully agree to disagree and let each go about to live each other's lives. Sure, there were problems but it seems to me that those were more because people aren't perfect. Some are just trying to stumble and learn through live. A number of the problems of today, or at least the way go about them, seem more because of someone wanting to pick a fight and imposing their views on other. In that way, they seem much more avoidable if only those people were respectful and generally meant well.

Jim
Completely agree. As long as your purchase is informed and intentional, I have no issue and support it. I love knives. We all do. And there are much worse addictions. It’s when you feel pressured to buy the latest and greatest or are somewhat brainwashed into your purchases that I take issue. Or, as you mentioned, when others don’t live and let live.
Dean

Reminds me of my grandfather for sure.

I remember when I went with him to Walmart to pick up his last Vic classic, and at that time it was still only $10.
I think they're about $14.99 or something around here now.
It's pretty worn out by my standards, but I'm sure to him it still had a few miles left.

Jim, you're absolutely right in that collecting for an interest is good, but I see sooooo many that accumulate because they had an interest that got skewed into an obsession by the influence of certain factors like advertising and magazine articles in publications that are nothing but shills for a greedy industry. Misguiding people for profit is something I find mildly disgusting.
I really don't get the obsession with the latest and greatest either.

The pushing and marketing of the latest and " greatest " has really put me off and was a big part of why I switched to traditionals. My taste just didn't fit in with that community.

Much like my feelings with hand tools and airguns, I find happiness in knowing these things I use are still as good as ever regardless of what the market has convinced people.
I like knowing I'm getting the job done with my affordable proven standbys when everyone else is buying into the flashy marketing and shelling out for the fancy expensive latest and greatest this or that which will be considered obsolete itself in less than a decade.
Technological advancements do happen and some things truly get improved , but some things are just an attempt to reinvent the wheel for the sole purpose of making money.

JK,
You brought back a memory.....P-38!!My little brother was a Former MARINE.....one thing he kept from his time in the Marines
was his P-38(I believe he got it when he was at PI)!That P-38 was with him every day!! I got a phone call.....he was sad & upset beyond belief!Me...what's wrong...him...I lost it...I've looked everywhere....it's gone!! Ok....what are. we talking about my P-38!! So....get another, not hard to find ...or...I'll get you one! "You"don't understand, that P-38 was from my time IN,it's been with me everywhere!I said,I'll get you new one....he said....I already got one....it's not the same...not as good as MINE! I couldn't believe this..then I thought...that P-38 was not only a tool....it was memories, places,people a time never to experience again.Got a call much later, he found his beloved P-38!That was his multi tool!
My little brother passed last yr. Cancer!JK thanks....wish you would take time in TX.to write more!
Jim

What always hits home for me is the "less is more." and "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without," type thinking, because I KNOW IT'S RIGHT. Of course the mind is a powerful beast at times and I fall victim to the hype and end up lusting over another THING on occasion. I feel pretty lucky though because I am at least aware of this mild insanity that I deal with. I've always been a buy and sell, one in one out, no big accumulation type of guy. Been through it with a few different hobbies now but knives seems to be the one that has stuck the most. So, these stories that Carl writes, and the topics that seem to be at the top of his list really speak to me. I see value in having that tool that you use until you can't use it anymore. If it works, then why replace it? I currently own a Vic Classic, a Tinker (I think), a Waiter, a Kabar Dozier, and a Mora Eldris. None cost more than $22 I'd say and I don't even need all of those. These are knives that I've bought, then sold, then replaced more than a few times so I figure I'd better keep them around. Having said that I've also bought and immediately sold a few Benchmades and Spydercos lately and ALWAYS for a loss. That's the insanity creeping in. Also want to mention that I definitely do see a use for a knife with a clip and a thumb stud. When I'm out running or mountain biking I have a knife clipped to my waistband just in case, and there are times when opening and closing with one hand is necessary or at the very least more convenient. Would I survive without? I'm sure. Anyways, I love these threads because they speak to me and are a great reminder IMHO. By the way LONG LIVE THE VICTORINOX CLASSIC!

JK,
You brought back a memory.....P-38!!My little brother was a Former MARINE.....one thing he kept from his time in the Marines
was his P-38(I believe he got it when he was at PI)!That P-38 was with him every day!! I got a phone call.....he was sad & upset beyond belief!Me...what's wrong...him...I lost it...I've looked everywhere....it's gone!! Ok....what are. we talking about my P-38!! So....get another, not hard to find ...or...I'll get you one! "You"don't understand, that P-38 was from my time IN,it's been with me everywhere!I said,I'll get you new one....he said....I already got one....it's not the same...not as good as MINE! I couldn't believe this..then I thought...that P-38 was not only a tool....it was memories, places,people a time never to experience again.Got a call much later, he found his beloved P-38!That was his multi tool!
My little brother passed last yr. Cancer!JK thanks....wish you would take time in TX.to write more!
Jim

I've long been very familiar with how some little bit of metal can hold such a powerful memory. My old P-38 has been with me since 1967, riding on my dog tag chain, then in civilian life in my wallet. Its very very weird, how I can look at it, and not only remember, but even smell, or taste memories. It looks like hell, dark and discolored, a bit bent up and wavy from being used as a screw driver a few times, it looks like it was with John Wayne in "The Sands Of Iwo Jima" Inchon, and Tet. Oh hell, it was in Tet. I'l like to delete that memory.

I can remember when my daughter Jessica was like 4 years old and the family was by a creek in a Maryland state park and Jess was hungry, so Karen took out the little can of 'tunner frish', as Jess called it then, and I opened the can and Jess had her tunner frish and crackers as she put it in her 4 year old vocabulary.

I can remember my sister in law and I making an Italian birthday dinner for her hubby, Roger, and had the meatballs made, the spaghetti sauce simmering, and Rommeli wanting to open a can of tomato paste to thicken up the sause a bit. There was a ping sound and the electric can opener broke and Rommeli going "OH S--T!"

I took out the P-38 from my wallet, and she and sister in law Diane asking what the heck is that. I told them its a can opener and they said no way. By that time I was halfway around the can of the tomato paste. Dinner ended up fine.

Old pocket knives, old guns, old personal effects can hold a lot of very powerful memories. I've got spares of P-38's, but theres only one that has been everywhere with me as I raised a family and then grandkids. Heck, I still have my dog tags.

Old pocket knives, old guns, old personal effects can hold a lot of very powerful memories. I've got spares of P-38's, but theres only one that has been everywhere with me as I raised a family and then grandkids. Heck, I still have my dog tags.

P38s I got, but I'm missing my dog tags! On my very last day of active duty, I hung them on a hook while taking a shower, and they disappeared! It was, and is, one of the biggest mystery of my life. I still think about it occasionally, but doubt I'll ever solve it. I keep hoping that one day, while near my end, somebody will rush into the room with news about what happened to them, and it will be just my luck to die before he can tell me. :(

P38s I got, but I'm missing my dog tags! On my very last day of active duty, I hung them on a hook while taking a shower, and they disappeared! It was, and is, one of the biggest mystery of my life. I still think about it occasionally, but doubt I'll ever solve it. I keep hoping that one day, while near my end, somebody will rush into the room with news about what happened to them, and it will be just my luck to die before he can tell me. :(

I've seen and heard many strange things in my time in he army, but I admit that is THE strangest damm thing I ever heard!!!!:eek:

Who the blue blazes would steal somebody else's dog tags?????o_O

To your knowledge, were you ever declared dead????

Somebody else cash in your last paycheck???

I've seen and heard many strange things in my time in he army, but I admit that is THE strangest damm thing I ever heard!!!!:eek:

Who the blue blazes would steal somebody else's dog tags?????o_O

To your knowledge, were you ever declared dead????

Somebody else cash in your last paycheck???

To answer all your questions; nope. That's what makes it such an intriguing mystery.

Been re-reading this thread this evening. So much truth in it. Being influenced by anything other than actual needs, is what keeps many industries floating.

Great thread, great points and great stories! :thumbsup:
I have started to move towards buying and chasing less and embracing the things I end up actually using. I got few pocket knives, couple of multitools (where the other one is well used!) and couple of camping knives. If looking at the tools that I use and show the scratches and wear makes me happy - then why have I chased so much?
I'm not saying that I won't ever buy a knife again but I certainly will make the times I do more special, perhaps in special places.

Great thread, great points and great stories! :thumbsup:
I have started to move towards buying and chasing less and embracing the things I end up actually using. I got few pocket knives, couple of multitools (where the other one is well used!) and couple of camping knives. If looking at the tools that I use and show the scratches and wear makes me happy - then why have I chased so much?
I'm not saying that I won't ever buy a knife again but I certainly will make the times I do more special, perhaps in special places.

I strongly suspect that you chased so much because like a lot of folks, you were influenced by the forums. I don't know the exact psychological factors that are at work here, but its valid. Kind of like a keep up with the Jones thing. We see all of what somebody else has, and it stimulates a button in us, and we buy more of what we already have and some button in our brain gets soothed. I know the less I am on the forums, the easier it is to be content with what I already have. This led to a giant downsizing I did about 20 years ago and a few smaller downsizing I did over the years. Now with way less stuff, and a more 'real' outlook on life, I'm actually happier.

I look at my old war horse Wenger SI and beat up much carried old Buck 102 woodsman, and remember how many hikes, camping trips, fishing trips they were used on, and thats a lot of happy memories. I don't miss any of the stuff I got rid of in my obsessive knife nut collecting days.

Back