How's Hultafors doing now?

Hultafors being GB direct competitor have many different models of axes widely available most places where axes are used.. but a couple of years ago there was a lot of talk about a high quality product that failed miserably on the quality control front. Wrong grinds, dodgy handles you name it. Only thing always consistent were the sheaths (lovely looking things I might ad).

So has anyone bought one recently or used one of late? Am curious if they have gotten their **** together? Such a fine forge with illustrious history deserves, and indeed is expected of, consistent quality work.

I understand that the axes are made by/at Hults Bruk these days and bear the HB forge mark. I have a new HB Kalix 1KG (2.25lb) axe that I am quite happy with for the price. This appears to be from the same line as the Hultafors Felling Axe. The head on mine isn't perfectly ground but very sharp and the haft grain could be better, but not terrible. It's a worker for sure. Still better than anything you will find in the average hardware store these days. Not top of the line, but a good value nonetheless (just my opinion). I had not been aware of their knives before, but they look suspiciously akin to Mora knives. The price range seems similar too.

I haven't used them but I saw and handled them in a ACE Hardware store. They were handsome. DM

I heard that Hults Bruk is a marketing scheme available only in the US. As in the Hults Bruk name is used only in the US. The same hatchets and axes are sold everywhere else as hultafors classic or whatever, even if made at the actual Hults Bruk Forge.

I have a Hults Bruk. Not terribly impressed.
The handle is a little better than something you'd see from China, but barely. At this point I'd recommend only Gransfors and CT Velvicut for premium production axes.

Last edited:
I have a Hults Bruks 4 lb. ax and it is hands down the best splitting axe I have ever used. Sharpened it last night in preparation
for this wood cutting season. DM

I have an Akka. If I had to make that purchase again I just would have gotten the Husqvarna carpenters axe at great savings. The longer handle on the Akka is "in the way" for all practical purposes, at any rate.

Other than that I use some other hultafors equipment and it's good quality. It's not some bespoke axe company as the Hults Bruk branding would have you believe.

Yeah there is totally something special about a good vintage Hults Bruk axe that no matter what you do you can not recreate. It will never be the same. A shame really as I said the forge itself is world class. But perhaps they are not making axes for the same reasons that the old timers use to.

I heard that Hults Bruk is a marketing scheme available only in the US. As in the Hults Bruk name is used only in the US. The same hatchets and axes are sold everywhere else as hultafors classic or whatever, even if made at the actual Hults Bruk Forge.

FWIW, their website is pretty straight-forward on the re-branding, from what I recall. I think Kevin posted a link here on that.

No harm in listing prices. You didn't list any non-endorsed sources for buying them.

Back