Hows the move going?

Havent heard from you guys for awhile, so I assume that you are as usual busy with all the details.

But I do think it would be interesting if once a month or so we could get an update on how things are going with you guys.

I'm kinda bummed that Buck is moving out of California. The last thing we need is to lose more jobs. Buck has been an institution here for many years. It's sad when making more $$$ is more important than tradition.

Um, Buck really did not start in California, and the only other option is for prices to go up.

I think that the people of California on the whole are in for a lot more of this kind of thing happening. And unfortuneatly its because some of them dont care what the cost are, they want their type of lifestyle.

Let's don't blame BUCK.

Blame California lawmakers and taxing authorities for creating a hostile business environment. (especially WMDs)

VOTE: It still counts.

;)

I PERSONALY THINK ITS GREAT. WHAT A FANTASTIC PLACE TO BRING UP YOUR CHILDREN AND LIVE IN SUCH A BEAUTIFULL AREA OF THE USA. BEST OF LUCK AND GOD BLESS.
BCCI LIFETIME MEMBER 1135
Larry D Fletcher <><
:)
He that has no sword,let him sell his garment and buy one...[Luke 22:36-38]

Where are they moving to? First I've heard of this, maybe that's why no definitive Buck answer to my TiN thread.

Thanks,

Albin

Buck is moving out of California for a number of reasons including:

High cost of living
High taxes
High utilties cost
Possibly the knife laws
And many others

They are moving to Idaho because it provides solutions to almost every problem stated above.

They expect to be up and running around the middle of next year. so you can get the picture that when a company has been in one spot for 50 years, it will take awhile to get everything set up just right. They are also helping any of their current workers that want to move make the move. Also moving up to Idaho with Buck will be Paul Bos, along with all of his heat treat equipment.

Not sure I should mention this on the Buck forum but Emerson Knives is moving from Southern California to Gardnerville, Nevada for the same exact reasons as listed above.
I have seen many companies move into our(northern Nevada) area is the last 5 years because of taxes, etc.
Like what was said it leaves them no choice or they would have to really raise their prices up, and then that would hurt their sales. Blame California politicians not the knife makerss.
If I am out of place here I apologize.

Larry

This thread is breaking my heart, particularly for the lack of reassurance.
The move will be very good for Idaho and California's economy will hardly miss it.
Notice, neither Buck nor Emerson chose to move to Oregon.
Good reason for that right now.
In the knife business your profit margin can easily dissappear into your operating margin. Better they move than go out of business.
Don't laugh, it happens all the time to the best of companies.

It will be a terrible thing for the employees and friends of Buck knives to uproot or separate with the company. I'm sure they will come through it alright but its sure to be traumatic.

These are times of change, best to be on the right iceberg!

One interesting bit of news relating to the move is that Buck has its roots in Idaho. In Mountian Home, Hoyt started making more knives for the servicemen and that really got the ball rolling for Buck as a company.
On a personal note, I hate to think of the people that I will never see again that i have worked with for the past 18 years. :(

posted by ScottDog
I'm kinda bummed that Buck is moving out of California. The last thing we need is to lose more jobs. Buck has been an institution here for many years. It's sad when making more $$$ is more important than tradition.

I hope I am not reading too much into your statement - but many a company/individual has stayed in one place for too long. Better to move than go out of business.

I have no idea what it means to today's bottom line for Buck, but a move as expensive as this will be has to be thought of as long-term (20+) years decision.

That part of California is growing and growing. Factories are going to keeping moving away as California becomes more densely urbanized and property keeps moving up in value.

They may be ending one tradition, but I am certain that the folks in Idaho are happy to be starting a new tradition.

I don't blame Buck knives for relocating out of California. Would you want to be taxed out of business to help repair the $38 billion deficit California currently has?

I talked to Chuck about this the first time he called me up.

California is not a pro business environment, coupled with the unbelievable electric rates, EPA breathing down your neck, off the chart workmans comp etc etc, coupled with the increasing land prices, I am surprised ANYONE stays in business in California.

On top of all that, the not so honorable Governor Gray Davis has taken the state from a surplus economy into the biggest black hole debt anyone has ever heard of..........The people who run BUCK are doing the right thing and those that stay there had better see the writing on the wall. There is not ONE single gun store in San Francisco now because the city taxed them all out of existance.

My two cents!! :eek:

Originally posted by tom mayo

There is not ONE single gun store in San Francisco now because the city taxed them all out of existance.

:grumpy:
SCARY. If they can do it in SF they can do it anywhere...(IF allowed)
:barf: ....Only way I know to fight 'em is to VOTE and SUPPORT the NRA.

DL

Originally posted by bbb4u
Originally posted by tom mayo

There is not ONE single gun store in San Francisco now because the city taxed them all out of existance.

:grumpy:
SCARY. If they can do it in SF they can do it anywhere...(IF allowed)
:barf: ....Only way I know to fight 'em is to VOTE and SUPPORT the NRA.

DL

Just wait until California economy goes so far down the drain... gun and knife laws will be unenforceable :eek:

I have a question for Joe Houser, does Buck have any plans to produce autos since they are moving to an auto friendly state? I'm sure your aware of the auto conversions of the Buck 110 and 112 models... it would be great to be able to own a factory made Buck 110 auto :)

Nothing against teh good people of Califormia, but the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia does not deserve the likes of Buck and Emerson. Our forefathers moved west and then west yet again for a better life and to explore less restraint from oppressive governance. It's in an American's blood to move and seek.

Back