HR2 vs NFSH vs FG/FTG

So, I'm a proud papa of a couple of comp finish HR2's and a coated nuked nano fusion Forsaken Steel Heart. However I'm wondering what the differences are between these two and the Forsaken Gemini (it Forsaken Team Gemini)?

I'd appreciate it if those who have the FG (or honestly any of the Team Gemini variants) can enlighten me! What do you feel are the pros and cons of each model?

IMCQ, sorry, but I am not entirely sure what you would like to know. With regards to the first question, I thought, well, these are really different knives than the FG. The FG being a double guarded, bilaterally symmetrical handled modern American styled combat knife and all. All three have completely different Busse handle approaches. New SF, NF, and TG handles respectively. Then I got to thinking about the blades, themselves, and saw the similarities there. In fact, when thinking about the HR2 and the NFFSH and a possible purchase, I decided they were too similar in the blade to justify both, and then couldn't shake my innate dislike for CBT and that killed the purchase of either one for me.

So perhaps you are interested in the subtle differences between the two very and three somewhat (with respect to the FG) similar blades?

Then I read the second question and at first it sounded like you were asking about the differences between the numerous TG variants? But then I read it a few more times in context of the first question and decided that probably you meant that if anyone owns the HR2 and a NNFFSH and ANY TG variant, that you would love to hear their comments on the differences therein. Again, likely focusing on the differences in blades given the obviously different handle styles, of which you already own two.

I am not trying to be a pedantic jerk (though I may inadvertently be one), and apologize if I come off that way here. Just trying to help clarify so you get some responses. Or perhaps everyone else knows what you meant and it is just me. Definitely possible!

IMCQ, sorry, but I am not entirely sure what you would like to know. With regards to the first question, I thought, well, these are really different knives than the FG. The FG being a double guarded, bilaterally symmetrical handled modern American styled combat knife and all. All three have completely different Busse handle approaches. New SF, NF, and TG handles respectively. Then I got to thinking about the blades, themselves, and saw the similarities there. In fact, when thinking about the HR2 and the NFFSH and a possible purchase, I decided they were too similar in the blade to justify both, and then couldn't shake my innate dislike for CBT and that killed the purchase of either one for me.

So perhaps you are interested in the subtle differences between the two very and three somewhat (with respect to the FG) similar blades?

Then I read the second question and at first it sounded like you were asking about the differences between the numerous TG variants? But then I read it a few more times in context of the first question and decided that probably you meant that if anyone owns the HR2 and a NNFFSH and ANY TG variant, that you would love to hear their comments on the differences therein. Again, likely focusing on the differences in blades given the obviously different handle styles, of which you already own two.

I am not trying to be a pedantic jerk (though I may inadvertently be one), and apologize if I come off that way here. Just trying to help clarify so you get some responses. Or perhaps everyone else knows what you meant and it is just me. Definitely possible!
^^^This^^^ I wasn't sure what the OP was asking. :confused:

I (like many others here) have or had all of the blades mentioned - HR2, NFFSH, TGLB, TG Crusader, and a Forsaken Gemini.

Hey guys, sorry if I'm wasn't clear in my initial question. :(

Yes. I'm interested in the subtle differences and also SUBJECTIVE opinions on comparing the three (plus) models. Three-plus because there are a few variants of the TG series, including the FG.

I picked these three for comparison because of the similarities in their blades. They're all about 8", similar designs/aesthetics, similar thicknesses. I'm aware of the obvious handle differences... I have the nano fusion (from the NFSH and NFBA) and SF handles, but not the TG. I am slowly developing my preferences for them, but am still interested in hearing how the symmetrical handle of the TG series compare to the other handles. And as we all know, the ergonomics makes a pretty big difference in how a knife feels and handles. Each grip/handle style may be more suited to certain hand-sizes, grips, or types of chores/work the knife is intended for.

Part of this, for me, is learning to appreciate the nuances in design differences in my Busses, but also trying to gauge whether or not a FG/TGLB is different enough from my HR2s and nuked NFSH to justify adding one to my pen. (Because, ya know, the addiction :D:p... I'm eyeing one up in the exchange)

(Edited for typos and added clarification)

Last edited:
Photo courtesy of dobermaniac from the exchange (borrowed from there), here's a visual reference of the the knives. The blade profiles are not identical, but the resemblance is strong.

Untitled

What are your personal thoughts on the handle shape? the double guard? The spine detailing? The somewhat symmetrical handle shape of the Gemini series (I've never held one)? Any specific differences in feel or use of the blades? (Has anyone USED these yet? :p)

20190906-124229.jpg

These appear to differ a lot more from one another than the Forsaken variants do.

I like the HR and FSH scales here, they are both "tan."

Wow!
20190906-124229.jpg

These appear to differ a lot more from one another than the Forsaken variants do.

I like the HR and FSH scales here, they are both "tan."
Wow! Those sure are much more different than the ones I referenced and the ones I have (same HR2 and nano FSH).
So what are your thoughts on those three? They look well loved! Glad to see them being used :thumbsup:

Wow! Those sure are much more different than the ones I referenced and the ones I have (same HR2 and nano FSH).
So what are your thoughts on those three? They look well loved! Glad to see them being used :thumbsup:

Yeah, your borrowed pics got me curious. They are all very different than their Forsaken breathren. Someone else can probably produce another completely different set of these three models too.

Mine are all pretty different blades from each other. The BGHR is .22" thick and the most used, also the one I've had the longest. Probably also the most comfortable handle for me, though I like them all.

96miw6.jpg

The BGFSH is thick cut, a .3125" mauling fatty. Haven't used it a ton as it's still one of my more recent aquisitions, but it's a lot of fun to split and baton with. I etched the logo planning to strip her, but the muddy brown coating grew on me so I plan to leave it on a bit longer. My hands didn't love the full-sized fusion handles at first, but after some strategic hand-sanding to round them out a bit more, they feel much more comfortable to me. Haven't tried the nano ones yet.

o53z3n.jpg

I actually haven't used the TG SE yet (.25"). Feels great in hand but I've kept it pristine so far since I already have a lot of users in that general size. (B8 LE, Chopweiler, BGHR.) Not really opposed to using it, just haven't gotten there with it yet.

If I could only have one of the above, it would be a sad day, but I'd probably have to go with the BME2. :p:D

Yeah, so far, I'm enjoying the SF handle on the HR2 better than the much applauded nano fusion handle... I have Medium sized hands (according to Mechanix and other American-cut gloves; Large in European sized motorcycle-gloves), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I've also noticed that with the nano fusion handle, I'm much more comfortable either choked all the way up, or grabbing the end, but not anywhere in the middle. The middle swell in the handle design doesn't play nice with the shape of my palms. With the SF handle, I'm much more comfortable overall I'm any grip position. Maybe there's an adjustment period to learn different ways to grip the nano fusion?

Yeah, so far, I'm enjoying the SF handle on the HR2 better than the much applauded nano fusion handle... I have Medium sized hands (according to Mechanix and other American-cut gloves; Large in European sized motorcycle-gloves), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I've also noticed that with the nano fusion handle, I'm much more comfortable either choked all the way up, or grabbing the end, but not anywhere in the middle. The middle swell in the handle design doesn't play nice with the shape of my palms. With the SF handle, I'm much more comfortable overall I'm any grip position. Maybe there's an adjustment period to learn different ways to grip the nano fusion?

I agree completely. I "like" the NF, but it is very long overall, and I have XL hands. The middle is not quite right on it, and is not as secure as the grip on say an ASH-1 for me (ASH-1 handle - in all its configurations - for me is basically like it was ordered bespoke. My all-time favorite knife handle. GOAT.). The SF (old, not new SF - I have not yet tried a new SF) is quite good overall for me as well, though second overall to the ASH-1 handle. The SF is fantastic, however, in a true saber grip!

Back