HTM Gunhammers now come with s35vn

All HTM Gunhammers will now come with Crucible s35vn blades. Some dealers will have limited runs like the m390 knifecenter exclusive. In the past, the HTM Gunhammer's blade steel of choice was s30v. It begs mentioning s30v before talking about what s35vn did to improve on this workhorse of a steel. Around 2002, Chris Reeve of Sebenza fame worked closely with Crucible Industries to produce a cutlery specific steel that was not only corrosion resistant, but also tough and easy to work with. I suppose the “easy to work with” part is relative depending on who you speak to, but for all intents and purposes, s30v was a huge success. It was specifically designed for vanadium carbide formation, which are harder than chromium carbides and provide for more wear resistance. Because s30v is manufactured using powdered metal, Crucible can control the amounts of elements that goes into the steel precisely, the end result being that every grain has an exact ratio of alloys. The resulting powdered composition is then heavily compressed under enormous force to produce a solid mass, which can then be rolled into stock.

In 2009, Crucible introduced s35vn to their line up. S35vn takes s30v up another level by introducing niobium to the steel structure. Adding niobium to the mix allows for an even finer grain structure and also helps in toughness. Basically, some niobium carbides form right along with the vanadium carbides and chromium carbides. You get a bit better edge retention, a bit more impact resistance (15-20% more compared with s30v), and even more corrosion resistance. The improved toughness also means s35vn is more resistant to edge chipping than s30v.

In terms of practical application (for me anyway), I have found s35vn to hold an edge a tad longer when cutting cardboard media and manila rope than s30v. I think the real boon, however, is that s35vn is easier to sharpen than s30v.

For those so inclined:
S30v – 1.45% carbon, 14% chromium, 4% vanadium, 2% molybdenum
S35vn – 1.4% carbon, 14% chromium, 3% vanadium, 2% molybdenum, .5% niobium

Last edited:
What about the madd maxx? Particularly the 3in ones.

Probably not yet decided since he made it clear to me that the HTM Gunhammers were being changed to the s35vn. I'll ask when I give him next. There are other things I have to ask him anyway.

I've heard mixed opinions on S35VN, so this helps a lot. I'm more inclined to trust you than anyone else, Hark. Thanks for the info.

I've heard mixed opinions on S35VN, so this helps a lot. I'm more inclined to trust you than anyone else, Hark. Thanks for the info.

I'd say the vast majority of people will probably not notice much of a difference between s35vn and s30v. I would consider s35vn to be more of a modified version of s30v which improves on a few things. It's an upgrade, yea, but just not as easily noticed.

Back