HTM Gunhammers

I have seen pics of these and love them. DDR has certainly found a spot inside me that wants. But I don't know how the GH fits the hand or even the size compared to a hand.

Are their any pics with the GH in a hand that can be posted? And in the stock GH's what are the angles of the edge that come std?

I assume 30* with a 40* edge on S30v but who knows?

Is the covering over an aluminum handle as grippy as most would like? I wish I could hold one but living vicariously will have to suffice for now!

Thanks all.

2011-09-08220407.jpg

2011-09-08220352.jpg

2011-09-08220332.jpg

2011-09-08220252.jpg

2011-09-08220237.jpg

2011-09-08220225.jpg

2011-09-08220213.jpg

2011-09-08220142.jpg

That should about cover you, eh? I wear a medium glove. The sheer unmatched comfort is one of the major reasons that the Gun Hammer is my main EDC. I'll let Darrel or Hark answer the angle question, because I've never checked. The ETAC handles are grippy, but not uncomfortable, and good for extended use without causing hot spots.

If you've got relatively normal sized hands (between medium and large size gloves), the Gun Hammer is pretty much the most comfortable knife I've ever felt. Start saving!

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I have fairly large hands (I wear a size large glove), and when I hold my HTM Gunhammer, my index finger is up against the flipper, and my pinky is right at the end of the handle.

The stock edge angle on the HTM Gunhammers happened to come up one time when I was chatting with Darrel; he said it's 35°.

The anodizing on the aluminum is pretty grippy. It's grippier than anodized titanium but maybe a slightly less grippy than blasted titanium (as found on, say, a Sebenza). I really like the feel of it. Also, at least in my experience, the contours of the handle and the texturing on the handle are much bigger factors in whether a knife has a secure, comfortable grip than the grippiness of the handle material per se. The ergos of the HTM Gunhammer are top-notch, and the machined texturing on the scales not only looks great but provides an excellent grip.

yea. I see with your hand the size will work well in my hand also. The HTM's are not so expensive really. Pretty much in line with other knives.

thanks! Using a ZT 551 now as EDC and looking. DDR has his ability to form a want-spot in me. I don't safe queen my knives. they are users.

The blades look thick and strong and thats why I wonder about the angles. I guess it depends on the steel also.

Thanks again!

35 sounds about right. I never asked Darrel personally, but it seems right since I reprofiled one to 25 degrees inclusive. The grip design and texture feels very comfortable in hand, and the new matte textured military type III hard anodizing does a lot for making it even grippier in very hot and humid environments such as in the southeast US. Having said that, my hands get sweaty pretty fast regardless of the finishing, so for me what I really look for in a handle is the actual shape and milling, which the Gunhammer does pretty well.

Thanks. I am unfortunately not fond of the Bowie blade type. The radian blade they had was perfect except for being automatic. Florida is a bit skittish about that. Black on black blade radian. maybe I'm too picky. Copper would be ok. LOLOLOL I crack myself up!

Thanks. I am unfortunately not fond of the Bowie blade type. The radian blade they had was perfect except for being automatic. Florida is a bit skittish about that. Black on black blade radian. maybe I'm too picky. Copper would be ok. LOLOLOL I crack myself up!

Neil @ True North Knives is also a dealer/supporter here and also carries the line. He is the one responsible (IIRC) for the special copper versions. He has them on his site...but is unfortunately sold out @ the moment. He's really good with communication so shoot him an email and he can probably tell you when he'll have more in stock.

Copper DDR Radian.jpg

Neil is also apparently a bit slow on updating his his online store front; it's just what I've heard people telling me. :p I suggest giving him a call and seeing if he has some in stock that he has not uploaded to his online store yet.

Yep, if you're discovering that the Gun Hammer is a rare knife, it's because there are very few people who want to get rid of theirs. Darrel Ralph knives truly have to be experienced to be believed.

Back