1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hudson Bay Camp knives.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by stewey1, Jan 5, 2012.

1. stewey1

stewey1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Hello everyone,

Ive decided I want to get a hudson bay camp knife for a general purpose bush knife, the knife will be used for all bushcrafty type stuff when hiking, hunting and camping.

Ive narrowed it down to either a JK hudson bay or a ML knives H1. Ive deciced on these makers as I want to support the forum and I havnt in all my digging found a bad word about either of these fine makers. They are both about the same price and with roughly the same specs.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on these two knives, does the JK come with a sheath? also what grind is used on these knives?, in the photo's Ive seen they both look forged and convex ground.

So yeah any comments or thoughts on the quality, durability and design of these knives would be greatly appreciated

regards,

Stew

2. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Hey buddy drop me an e-mail !

3. stewey1

Nov 14, 2010
    Email sent Sir!

4. neeman

neeman

Apr 5, 2007
    Stewey1

Can I hitch a ride on this thread if folk have what to say on the Condor Hudson Bay Camp

Is that okay?

5. stewey1

Nov 14, 2010
    your more than welcome , lets get this discussion started , I really am torn on these 2

6. Quirt

Quirt

Oct 10, 2005
    I couldn't be any more pleased with Matt's work. I have a few custom Hudson Bays and Matt's work is the only maker I've went back for more. I've not had the privilege to own, use or even seen a JK piece. But from what I read and seen here and elsewhere I'm confident it would a excellent choice. I'll let others kick in on that choice. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Keep us posted on your choices and pics.

7. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    A sheath is included with all of my knives. Funny timing on this post, I`m making a 7" HB in February, and a 9" in March. Mine are stock removal, not forged.

This is a 7" model.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. rkmoore

rkmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2010
    You are a lucky man! To be in a position to choose between two outstanding craftsmen and their equally outstanding knives is surely an enviable place to be.
    I would agree that you will not be disappointed with either purchase and should reach out to each of these guys personally to discuss the specifics of your custom build. I firmly believe that a purchase like this is best when there is a personal relationship between the craftsman and the buyer.

9. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Can't give input on the custom pieces other than I haven't heard a single bad thing about either maker. As far as the Condor version goes it's one heck of a knife for the money and the hammered finish on the blade is very attractive in person. It's one of the few knives out there that my lady gets excited about, too! :p

10. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I've not seen a JK Hudson Bay, but have a couple other knives he has made and his O1 heat treat is spot on.
    The sheath John supplies is nothing fancy, but it's sturdy and gets the job done.
    I did have a Condor HBK for a while and for the money it was a good value.

11. upnorth

upnorth Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Thought about getting the Condor version a few times, dunno. Here's an original for you to eyeball.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I do research as I never know what I'll come across out in a field, or more likely along a river.

12. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    I recommend the JK. He makes a good product at reasonable price. I had one and it was a beast! Sold it to get one of his knatchets.

13. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    One thing to think about is wait time. A few months ago I sent an email to ML and he quoted me a 6 month lead time for a smaller knife.

14. Be warned, Hudson Bay camp knives are addictive. Dan Schechtman sent me a copy of an article he wrote on HBC's for Muzzleblasts, and I have read a couple books on the history of the Hudson Bay Company.

I got one HBC in a trade at a powwow a couple years ago made by Terry Baublitz, and that was the end of it for me. I traded into an Idaho Knife Works HBC in 2010, and bought the Condor HBC. All three are great knives, and the Condor is my go to beater knife(although the Baublitz and Mike Mann are SHTFEOW type knives).

I have owned, and bought directly from, both ML and JK. Both make great knives and both stand behind their work. ML can get that rustic look on the knife too. Either way you will be pleased, it would be neat to get both and see both makers interpretations up close and personal.

Hudson Bay patterns in general are neat, too. Go the whole Canadian route, a HBC blanket, axe, camp knife and roach belly ;) .

15. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    AA Forge has a subforum on here and he also makes a neat looking Hudson Bay~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sufler

Sufler Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2005
    So... does anybody have any actual user feedback on the Condor Hudson Bay knife? Worth the $55? I've always liked that style particular design, but never wanted to venture out and pay too much for it.

Chris M likes this.
  17. Tim the Slugman

Tim the Slugman

Jun 9, 2005
    I have A Condor HBC & it is very sharp & holds a great edge, also very tough. I think it is some type of spring steel

18. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    I am quite partial to my Bark River Hudson Bay knife.... sorry no pics at this point. It is a truly capable camp knife. Will handle kitchen duties with aplomb... (carves my Thanksgiving turkey every year), and will also be stout enough to do a little wood splitting, feather sticking, tent staking... etc.

19. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I really like the pattern. Such a great design.

I have the original Condor HB knife. It came with a black finish (which I stripped). I use it all the time in the kitchen. It could use a bit thinner grind. I convexed the edge with my belt sander, but really, it could use a bit more meat taken from behind the edge.

I believe I only paid 35 or so for the two I bought. They are worth that in my book. Decent knife for the money. I really wish I had known they were coming out with a rough forge finish, because ti think it is perfect for this knife!

For heavy chopping, the handle could be a bit bigger for my hands (but I wear a 2xl glove).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  20. Tahts-a-dats-ago

Tahts-a-dats-ago

May 25, 2011
    I don't own any ML knives, so I can't offer a comparison between the two. I do own a dozen JK knives - with more on order - and can offer some thoughts on John's knives.

Most of my JK knives are convexed, but he will do other grinds if asked. All of them came with simple, sturdy sheaths that do exactly what they're supposed to do. His fit and finish is excellent and he offers a wide variety of handle choices. His handles are extremely comfortable in hand and his blades are tough and durable (01 steel). John also offers a variety of widths - although most of mine are 1/8 inch. I've found all of my JK knives to be easy to maintain - I just strop them after I'm done using them - and excellent at holding an edge.

John has models/patterns that he offers, but you can ask for changes to suit your needs (larger handles, longer blade, etc..). He also works with your designs - if you'd like something made that you designed.

All of that is great and very important, but the biggest factor (for me) in buying so many JK knives is the fact that John is such a great guy to work with. He is a genuinely nice guy who will bend over backward to insure customer satisfaction. That's hard to put a price on (IMO).

One additional point to consider: John's turn around time is fantastic. He doesn't bite off more than he can chew, so you'd have your knife (in hand) within a couple of months or so.

I'm very comfortable highly recommending John's knives. He's earned it and I'm certain that you'd be another of his very happy customers.