Huh...din't see that comin'....

So I've been doing Judo for a couple years now, on and off. Pretty much dropping out during the busy construction season, and due to a couple of injuries, etc. Havent' been real consistent. Just going in there to have some fun, etc. I've been in a couple of competitions, and placed first and all, but that was just due to prior experience in collegiate and freestyle wrestling. More or less I've been paying way more attention to my son than anything else in there.

So tonight I went in there and participated for the first time in a coons age, and got called up front after practice. Once it was confirmed that yes, they wanted ME to come up front I started wondering what the heck I did wrong, and why they were gonna make an example out of lil ole me. (a couple of the instructors are frequently on my case about being cautious and not hurting my partners in practice) Instead they promoted my sorry ole shaggy butt to a green belt! (was white belt before)

I guess I feel pretty good about it....definitely would have never, ever seen it coming. Of course now I'm feeling all sortsa pressured to push myself a little harder there, which is really a unique situation for me, because I was basically wiping my mind clean and considering tonight to be just like my first night ever.

Not really thumping my chest or nuthin', cause a promotion to a green belt is a pretty minor thing, but...for some reason I wanted to share it anyways. Happy, surprised, and nervous as a long tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs....:D :confused: :eek:

Congratulations.

You are honored without seeking honor.

That's a nice thing.

Savor it.

Congrats on finding without seeking...sweet!

At the risk of seeming like a kiss-a**, what Kismet said.

Congratulations:thumbup: :)

That's great. I want to get my daughter into Judo, but they say not until she's four or five depending on her maturity level. So, for the time being I got her into gymnastics. I figure it'll teach her balance and that will help with anything that comes along later on.

Ever since I had a daughter I've been very nervous about the predators out there. When I was at FSU it was quite common for girls to get raped on campus while walking to the dorms from the libraries at night. I don't want that to happen to my girl. Yesterday she asked me if she could have Sarge's Sgian Dubh. I smiled inwardly and told her to be patient and daddy would make sure she had all the arms she wanted.:D

Andy

Congratulations on your promotion. Probably gives you incentive to work even harder (be careful if you are old like me). I took a quarter of Judo in college. Remember getting a headache after each class. One quarter was enough for me. :eek:

Jeff

Good on you RWS,
A man who is humble in the face of praise, seeks honor for the right reason.

Sarge

Takes time for some things to sink in. Even when you'd left Judo for other activities in your life, you hadn't left Judo. It was in there growing, and this belt is the result.

I wish my kids had a Dojo to go to.
(if I spelled that right)

munk

RWS, as the others have said, when you get it without expecting it is when you really deserved it.

Congratulations Runs with Scissors! That's great news, and a precious moment for you.

I'm sure you'll fill these new shoes quite well, and quite quickly.

~ Bamboo

munk, yes, you spelled it right. :D

Thank y'all for the kind words. I'd be lying through my teeth if I said they didn't put a little extra spring in my step. It never ceases to amaze me how just a few kind words can have such a positive impact on folks.

Sounds like yer daughters gonna be just fine Approy. The gymnastics is a great idea. I don't know how much time you've spent in the Judo Dojo, but from what little I've seen it seems every child that enrolls spends an enormous amount of time just learning to hit the mat without being injured, which is of course a fundamental in gymnastics. I bet she'll move FAST once she gets started. There's no doubt you'll be there to pass on the right attitude and armament.:D Rumor has it one of the lovely ladies around here has had pretty good luck keeping wayward hands off of her with a smallish Sirupati.;)

Devo- I'm 32....izzat too old? feels like it. For being "The gentle way" Judo sure can be tough on a guy.

Munk- If I had to make a list of the few negative aspects of living in a small town or rural areas, the lack of Martial Arts training programs and such for kids would be high on it. We're EXTREMELY fortunate to have this Judo club out here with us. $25 a month, and the instructors are only there for the sheer love of the kids and the sport. We also have a couple of Karate Dojos, Jui Jitsu, Tang Soo Do, and of course Tae Kwon Do. I even saw a sign advertising Escrima once. Alot of options in my town. Of course my "small town" is currently one of the fastest growing in the US right now. Almost time to pack my family's belongings and flee the crowds yet again.:(

Congratulations. I've spent a few years in the Judo dojo too.

The belt is a symbol of your instructor's confidence in your achievement. Nothing more. You can buy one at the store easily. You should be able to wear your white belt and still people know your achievement.

Back