Hunt with throwing knives??

Is it possible?
And is it legal anywhere?
I cant imagine you can get close enough to hit something. And what could you kill with a little knife...a bunny maybe.

With the big steel people hunt wild pigs, turkey, ...etc smaller game thats some what approachable within 35 feet or so. I'm pretty sure its legal anywhere since its not a firearm. What you trying to hunt? Humans are always an easy slow target;-)

If your going to hunt with a throwing weapon, use a spear. Cold Steel puts out a great line of spears. If your still feeling crazy, try a sturdy tomahawk. I'll wager a strong head shot to a deer with a good sized hawk would do the trick, but the logistics of the situation are horrable.
Hey, I think I;ve got a new reality tv show...throw the hibben at the bear and see how long you live. :)

haha well i killed a rabbit once with a knife...of course it fell out of my hand and killed it...but throwing it shouldnt be that hard...hell they die so easy...haha..

You would have to be pretty good to kill just about any animal with a thrown knife. You would most likely just wound the animal. Any larger animal might just get a severe wound, and run away with your knife. Sounds like a waste of effort, and could land you with charges of animal cruelty as well. Why not use a bow and arrow? people stopped using primative weapons when better ones were invented.
Also, Pigs are hunted with knives, but the knife is used to stab the pig as it is held by dogs, it is not thrown. As far as killing birds, If it was legal to hurl a projectile and kill birds (I kind of doubt that it is) a rock thrown or hurled with a sling is going to be a better weapon than a knife. Again a Bow is a better bet. Of course in a survival situation, all bets are off as far as legality goes, but I would still prefer a bow (even a spear) to a knife. Who carries throwing knives anywhere they are likely to be in a survival scenario?

RF, sorry, but people do still hunt wild boar and other small and slower game with a knife. Its very hard, and you must be very accurate but it can easily be done. You can get within striking distance ( 25 ) feet of a wild pig with out it running, often they will even charge you. A spear is an idea but after all this is a knife throwing forum. In a lot of bow hunting you still wound the deer and must fall the blood to find the deer once its bounded off a few hundred yards. Not everyone can get a heart shot or disabling shot in, there's a lot of rookie hunters now adays!! I wouldn't waste my time but I have heard of people dropping down on the deer from a tree above. Not my idea way of gettin the meat but if it works try it. Hunting is hunting

We have a forumite,the possum,who hunts with a knife,he may post or not. :eek:

I live in sweden so I doubt its legal to hunt with a knife. Bow is illegal.
But it would have been fun to try. =)

i dont think u can hunt with a knife, if you were to try to kill a dear it would run aways before it droped down, that is if u hit it, so good luck trcking it down, u might be able to sneak up on a pig, but beware of those tusks, they stick u and your in trouble!.. good luck!!

I always wanted to try. You could defintely take out a bird, but I always wanted to try sticking a deer in the neck. I also wanted to try to hunt with a spear, which would be sweet.

Of course you can. It is just a matter of being good enough and having the right knives.

Plain and simple you CAN hunt with knifes, no obviously you wouldn't take down a deer because of the hide thickness. But Turkey, Boar, Beaver, or humans, depending on the country and tribe. The knife would probably be best off a mountain man because of the weight to carry through into the target.

I had a friend who briefly worked for the USFS in the Angeles National Forest close to Los Angeles. This was back in the late 60's. At that time it was common to find deer wandering around with an Italian picklock-style switchblade stuck in them. Obviously that combination didn't work for hunting.

I've hunted rabbits with a throwing knife. That gives you a reasonable knockdown probability--if you can hit one. There are places where they are rather numerous and complacent. I have noticed that it upsets the sheeple something awful when you hunt with a throwing knife. I even got dirty looks when hunting gophers at an archery range with my little old Pro Throw. They were mighty impressed when I got one. You need a rather light throwing knife to have the speed to intercept a rabbit. It is real easy to lose throwing knives while doing this. They bury themselves under the turf. I attached some extra reflective material on the handle of my knives to make them easier to find. It is better to have a somewhat long knife so that it is less likely to completely bury itself.

Thank you Jeff, I myself have never sought to hunt with them, but I knew its probable. And thats really shitty that the deer were just wounded and left with a knife stuck in them wandering around....

To be honest, anything with proffessional size and weight with a sharpened point (very good example: 12'' + dragon throwing knife) 1 1/4+ lb could in fact take a deer down. (I'd go for a doe... a buck might just turn around and kill you) Say you went for the shoulder, lodged the blade in, slowed the deer down. Granted it would be hard enough to get close, plus the deer definitely would see you arch back for the throw. A well placed throw with a large knife could get the job done. Haven't done it myself. I've heard of a guy who uses that exact brand, says he gets pretty good results when it comes to hunting.

if you know how to stalk, and your good at it, you can get within 20 yards of Alert game like deer and Turkey.

It is a lost art, most comonly practiced by the most hard core bow hunters.

Learn it, use it, enjoy.

I have heard of this my only suggestion is that you tie a light rope to you knife so it is not lost. I am not to sure of the legality but just be quiet and curtious and everything will be fine. And as allways make sure to have a quick CLEAN kill.

Jeff Clark said:
I had a friend who briefly worked for the USFS in the Angeles National Forest close to Los Angeles. This was back in the late 60's. At that time it was common to find deer wandering around with an Italian picklock-style switchblade stuck in them. Obviously that combination didn't work for hunting.

I've hunted rabbits with a throwing knife. That gives you a reasonable knockdown probability--if you can hit one. There are places where they are rather numerous and complacent. I have noticed that it upsets the sheeple something awful when you hunt with a throwing knife. I even got dirty looks when hunting gophers at an archery range with my little old Pro Throw. They were mighty impressed when I got one. You need a rather light throwing knife to have the speed to intercept a rabbit. It is real easy to lose throwing knives while doing this. They bury themselves under the turf. I attached some extra reflective material on the handle of my knives to make them easier to find. It is better to have a somewhat long knife so that it is less likely to completely bury itself.

why not track the rabbits in the snow and get them beofre they jump?? it can and has been done, just not with a knife, that I know of

Back