Hunters of my Youth

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by black mamba, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Bloefield

Bloefield

Aug 2, 2013
  2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I think they are not. I have one, though. I traded a 118 for it, and feel pretty happy. Would have been nice if I could have had them both.

Prester John likes this.
  3. Bloefield

Bloefield

Aug 2, 2013
    Found this pic of the H-15's. Boy these things are so light for their cutting abilities.
    [​IMG]

4. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    There hasn't been a knife posted here that I haven't liked - truly a great thread. It has me making a list.

But those H-15s look like delightful knives, I think I will need to find one.

5. garddogg56

garddogg56

Jan 9, 2012
    Wow guys thanx for the great show:cool:

6. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    My old late '50s Imperial Prov USA is a dead-ringer for the H-15s. Again, just about everyone made the pattern.

[​IMG]

7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Thanks Bruce, that's very interesting piece of info and I wonder why it hasn't been used again? But it would look different & great on a smaller Buck fixed, despite current setbacks we need to think of the future & hope a Forum Knife will happen, be just right if it could be a fixed for a change.

Thanks too to Jeff for initiating this wonderful thread, it's not just a nostalgia tip of yesterday but a reality thing :D these old knives will outlast the coming generation too if taken care of :cool:

8. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    The early version (and there are MANY) of the Buck 121 was marketed as a Fisherman, a high end filet knife, not a hunting knife. However several years ago, unsatisfied with the amount of meat I was losing on breasting out a wild turkey, it occurred to me that a semi-flexible blade might bend along the rib cage better than a stouter hunting blade. I gave it a try and eureka, it worked. I give you the multi-purpose Hunter-Fisherman Buck 121. OH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    The British version of the kind of knife you're talking about here. This one carries the name of a scouts outfitters "Bukta" and is by Wade and Butcher of Sheffield.
    I've recently made a sheath for it and its smaller buddy as an isolation project.:)

[​IMG]20181204_125819 by Mark Saunders, on Flickr[​IMG]Untitled by Mark Saunders, on Flickr

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  10. Bloefield

Bloefield

Aug 2, 2013
    Very nice.

11. pearl2291

pearl2291 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2012
    13AF3FF5-A06E-409A-BE50-CB59BF362F30.jpeg Great thread and wonderful knives. It led me to get out my Gerber model 525 today. Not nearly as old as most of the knives in the thread but, definitely a great older model. The finger groove ebony handle and forward choil really make for a very secure and versatile user for me.

12. Bloefield

Bloefield

Aug 2, 2013
  13. redcanoe

redcanoe Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2012
  14. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    Got a few other Schrade hunting knives - all Old Timers. A 165OT, a 15OT, and a 160OT. I have skinned and butchered at least one deer with each of them - finding only the 160OT to my liking (the other two blades are too thick for whitetail cleaning). OH[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    The first iterations of the 121 (I have two different tang stamps) did indeed have a flexible fillet blade, and also a scaler spine. scalers001.jpg

16. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    @tongueriver Cal, that's two very nice, early 121's - haven't gotten one of those because I'd use it and probably break it. OH

scrteened porch and knowtracks like this.
  17. Old Hunter

Jul 12, 2012
    I'm no 'yute in this picture, but the Buck 102 (425MOD) is about 36-38 years old - so I'd a been in my late 20's when it was made. OH
    [​IMG]

18. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I also have that Imperial fish scaler hunter as well as the plain blade Imperial and the Imperial duo (plain hunter/folder-Kamp King in front sheath pocket) .
    Nice set of all three variations. Anyone know of others?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  19. AR-Trvlr

AR-Trvlr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2009
    This thread has made me list for one of the classic hunters with a big fat groove. I have to admit, though, that I know precious little about the makers. The Marbles seems like the main maker but the prices are steep on the bay. Any other makers to look for or to avoid in this blade style?

20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Western Cutlery made knives with a large blood groove like that, and they run a little less expensive than Marbles on the secondary markets.

redsparrow likes this.