Hunting knife

Hi! fellows
Is the Browning Kodiak F.D.T. field dressing knife, of good quality ? How is it in comparison with the Buck CrossLock Hunter ?

Any suggestions for a knife with the same feature ie. gut & saw blade, and a blade.

BIg games hunter.

[This message has been edited by Marc (edited 02 December 1999).]

The thing I like about the Browning is that it has a replacable bone saw. Nice feature, which I think gives it the edge over the Buck.

Marc:
It isn't the same tool but will accomplish the same tasks much faster, take a look at the Uluchet.

------------------
P.J.
P.J. Turner Knife Mfg, Inc.
Uluchet, What's an Uluchet? Find out at...
www.silverstar.com/turnermfg

I like the steel in the Brownings better. Browning uses AUS-8 which takes an exceptionally sharp edge. The AUS-8 alloy has vanadium in it plus more carbon than the 420HC alloy that Buck uses. Buck uses a rather simple steel that is soft enough to cut out with stamping dies when it is annealed. They don't use nice stuff like AUS-8 for their standard knives due to manufacturing costs. They try and compensate for the simpler steel with a quality heat treatment or a very hard blade coating. The Buckcote version of the cross-lock would hold an edge almost forever if you don't try and cut bones. If you badly ding a Buckcote blade on bones you may need to return the knife to Buck for repair.

I'd go with the Browning.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Clark (edited 03 December 1999).]

Back