1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Husqvarna Forest axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by stefan_wolf_ss, Jul 21, 2012.

1. stefan_wolf_ss

stefan_wolf_ss

Jul 29, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the new line of cheap axes made by Hults Bruk for Husqvarna - the old model - Husqvarna Traditional (Multi-Purpose) Axe http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/800440-Husqvarna-Traditional-(Multi-Purpose)-Axe-Review?highlight=husqvarna+forest+axe was made by Wetterlings

Here in Bulgaria the axe is around 30/35$ - not a bad price for 650mm overall length and 1300grams overall weight...

Please excuse my poor English!

just a short videos for the axe ...

in future I will post some videos with using the axe :)

some data and initial impressions:

[video=youtube;BKJWiMTEnyc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKJWiMTEnyc[/video]

some hand re-profiling and sharpening

[video=youtube;QmENeo8Ql7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmENeo8Ql7s[/video]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  2. ljcsov

ljcsov

Mar 2, 2012
    Alright, now I am really wanting one of these. It's also a nice opportunity for me, as an American, to get my hands on an HB head. I am worried that my CT Hudson Bay will be sad though, since they are both about the same weight and length. Haha.

Were you able to get the edge shaving sharp like a typical HB, Wetterlings, or GFB?

3. stefan_wolf_ss

stefan_wolf_ss

Jul 29, 2009
    There is no problem to make this axe shaving sharp (with serious re-profiling for good convex edge) - heat treatment is good enough - not perfect as GFB or Wetterlings - but the same as Hultafors - so real work horse for the money...

4. jwaj

jwaj

Dec 19, 2002
    Looks to be a nice axe with a little edge work. Certaintly, good value for the money (I think they run around $64 or so in the U.S.)

5. stefan_wolf_ss

stefan_wolf_ss

Jul 29, 2009
    64$ is a little bit much for the axe (may be the taxes for import form Sweden are higher :confused:) - in this price range I prefer Hultafors HY10 with 800 or 900 grams head and 650mm handle length but I don't know is there in US a dealer for Hulatafors axes :confused:

6. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I have a Husqvarna carpenters axe. I like it a lot.

7. ljcsov

ljcsov

Mar 2, 2012
    Do you know what the actual weight is on the head? I feel like this head would be interesting on a longer handle, say a 26".

From what I heard, HB will not sell directly to the US due to liability reasons. I suppose they think we are too sue happy or clumsy with axes, perhaps even both. It looks like they produce a very fine line of tools, even beyond axes. Therefore, it makes their reluctance to sell to the US very unfortunate.

8. stefan_wolf_ss

stefan_wolf_ss

Jul 29, 2009
    I can be wrong but i think the carpenter axe was made by wetterlings - very useful axe...

9. Mossyhorn

Dec 6, 2009
    The head on the carpenters axe weighs 3lbs. The overall length is only 20" but it feels just right to me.

10. ljcsov

ljcsov

Mar 2, 2012
    Wow! That would be pretty sweet or a bushcraft axe when placed on a long handle. You would have sufficient chopping and splitting power with the ability to choke up and do carving work.

11. Mossyhorn

Dec 6, 2009
    It is one of the best balanced axes that I've handled. The blade width is 4 1/4" and you can choke up for doing any fine work. It's an excellent axe.

12. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    That's pretty dang heavy for a supposed carpenters axe. I can't imagine doing any carpentry with such a tool. At 3 lbs. you're talking felling, bucking, hewing, etc.

13. coloradowildman

coloradowildman

Oct 28, 2009
    I've been testing this axe for the last several months. The heads weighs about 1.75lbs. I think it's probably the best overall deal right now on a traditional bushcraft 3/4 axe.

14. stefan_wolf_ss

stefan_wolf_ss

Jul 29, 2009
    Cheers - true statement...

I will have some free time next week so what kind of testing you will like - i think falling down a 5/6m pine; cutting of the branches and cross cutting 50sm pieces ???

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  15. stefan_wolf_ss

stefan_wolf_ss

Jul 29, 2009
    The first part of the project is done -
    1. re-profiling
    2. sharpening
    3. light sanding the handle and re-finishing with 3 hands of danish linseed oil

a little bit of patience to dry out and free for testing :)

[​IMG]

16. Mossyhorn

Dec 6, 2009
    I doubt that many people use this for actual carpentry work. Being able to choke up makes this a great tool for bushcraft, carving,skinning and most chopping needs. It's freekin perfect.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  17. stefan_wolf_ss

stefan_wolf_ss

Jul 29, 2009
    ready for tomorrow tools testing :cool:
    [​IMG]

18. ljcsov

ljcsov

Mar 2, 2012
    Looking good Stefan! I'm sure that axe will perform perfectly.

19. MoreToasties

MoreToasties

Jan 13, 2010
    May I ask where those of you in North America are finding these axes for sale? I'm having some trouble, especially at the prices mentioned. At ~$60, I think this axe sounds like a terrific deal.

20. stefan_wolf_ss

stefan_wolf_ss

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry about the bad axe handling but i work in an office not as a lumber jack or serious hiker :)

[video=youtube;hUBocwjPHqE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUBocwjPHqE[/video]