??? Hybrid Fighter Puukko / Persian ??

I'm not sure what to call this. I made this from a strangely shaped piece of 440C stainless that demanded a strong upsweep of the blade shape and tang.

Specs - 5.5inch blade, 440C, HT by Hills Heat Treatment (cryo,3x temper) = 59HRC. Flat ground, machine satin finish, convex edge. Black canvas Micarta hilt, handles of stabilised Beefwood (banksia spp.)

I suppose it is a bit of a cross between a Scandi style and a Persian style "jambiya". The facetted handle is suprisingly comfortable and I decided not to contour it any further. I've left it very simple and clean, but I wanted feedback from all of you...

Should I 'tart up" the handle, or leave it as is ? All other feedback also very much welcomed.

Thanks. Jason.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I don't know what you'll call it but I call it a beautyful little knife.I like simple knives cause there's less that can go wrong with them.great job.:thumbup:

bubbacatfish

Platinum Catfish
If I had any money right now I'd be saying "how much? how much?" :(
VERY nice looking knife!

RokJok

Gold Member
Jason Cutter said:
I made this from a strangely shaped piece of 440C stainless that demanded a strong upsweep of the blade shape and tang.
That design is a beautiful recovery from what you call a "strangely shaped" piece of steel!! I really like how the slight flattening off of the top of the blade tip scoots the eye off the end of the blade in a line parallel to the major axis of the handle.

In spite of the changes in direction (tip of blade up, butt of handle down) to my eye the line of that knife flows so smoothly and with simple grace. While not flashy or fancy, it's sleek and svelte. The term that comes to mind is "quietly elegant".

The only downside I note on the knife is that the silvery pin seems to be too much contrast with the rest of the dark handle materials around it.

Jason Cutter said:
Should I 'tart up" the handle, or leave it as is?
My answer: No.

In keeping with the clean and minimalist lines of the knife, the handle you currently have on the knife (slightly sculpted shape, semi-deersfoot pommel, plain wood grain) fits in just right with the rest of the design IMHO.

Another great knife. :thumbup: I wouldn't touch the handle,not what I mean as I'd love to handle it,but that handle just looks great although not that familiar with beefwood,it does have good grain.Wouldn't change a thing on this knife,great work Jason! :D

Doug

bubbacatfish said:
If I had any money right now I'd be saying "how much? how much?" :(
VERY nice looking knife!

Count me in on that as well. If you can make it out of O1 I would love to buy one. (I would come up with the $$$ somehow) Great knife:thumbup:

Jason, I love your work and the blade on the knife is great but IMHO the butt of the handle looks a little chunky for the graceful lines of the knife.