I’m moving, how to ship my knives?

Lots of great advice on here: the less attention you draw to them the better. When Harry Winston shipped the Hope diamond from NYC to the Smithsonian, he put it in a plain mailer and dropped it in a mailbox. And whatever you do, don’t put them in a car you’re having transported. Anything inside the vehicle is considered free for the taking.

If you have any friends or new neighbors where you will be moving to, wrap them in bubble wrap and put them into well taped up large (or medium or small) USPS priority boxes and mail them just before you move. You can insure the box.

You pack them up just like the rest of your stuff. How is this even a question? Unless you have one of a kind, super rare expensive stuff. Then it should already be insured. Then the answer is the same. Pack up and move. Nobody cares about your knife collection exept you.
See post #18.

When my company moved me for work, they paid for all moving costs, so I had my personal vehicles shipped, and I rented a van to take my guns, knives, and my dog.

Lots of great advice on here: the less attention you draw to them the better. When Harry Winston shipped the Hope diamond from NYC to the Smithsonian, he put it in a plain mailer and dropped it in a mailbox. And whatever you do, don’t put them in a car you’re having transported. Anything inside the vehicle is considered free for the taking.

Not so. The Hope diamond was shipped by registered mail meaning it was tracked at every part of it's trip to the recipient at the Smithsonian. Harry Winston would never take a chance by using regular mail, and could never get enough insurance from the post office to cover the value of this diamond if they lost it in transit.

Here is a link that explains how it works if you have any interest in learning about registered mail.

https://www.stamps.com/usps/registered-mail/

I am somewhat of a pro since I relocated 13 times in 47 years. I moved with both my knife and gun collection. When I was just doing one night stop at a motel, I packed the knives securely and put them with the rest of the stuff I was moving. At night when we stopped at the motel, we took the knives and our valuables into the room with us and I kept a big knife on my night table.

When we moved far, I shipped my knives by one of the courier services at the cheapest rate, and insured, to someone I knew at my new location, or the office of my new job where they would expect them and sign for them. I always flew to my further new locations so I shipped my knives rather than put them in airline baggage, having had them lose bags on me a few times.

You need to be aware of the knife laws where you are traveling. Some places will only allowed the smallest of knives. Some will consider assisted opening knives as switchblades and if you are like men with a big collection of out the side and out the front knives, that used to be a problem for me since towns can have their own knife laws that vary from location to location. NYC will only allows a lock back knife under an inch I think, that cannot be opened by one hand, and they show no mercy.

So if I were you I would not carry a knife unless you knew the specific knife laws in the towns and cities and States you were passing through. I would pack them in the pod and bring them in with you when you stop at a motel, putting them back in the pod when you leave the next morning. This will protect against thief and being arrested under local knife laws which are not standard nation and state wide.

Back