I am a "brain tanner" of deer, elk, & buffalo hides.

Mike Pierson

Freedom is not Free
I learned how to "brain tan"
or soften animal hides from the fresh dead animal usining only the traditional Native American Indian way. No chemicals, only water, brains, elbow grease, and a big rack, sticks and stones.

Wondering if anyone else out there does this too?
Including a few pictures for visual reference.

Received my "hunt draw results" today, & I scored successful rifle hunts for the 2018 deer & elk ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 53
Done a buffalo, and a few deer.
It's more of an aboriginal technique than the "native American" way, facts are facts, every people on every populated continent knew how to brain tan, even Neanderthals surely had the concept down to a science.

How much for a full size deer?

I sell mine by the sq. footage, (but I am not selling any hides here)
I do get $10-$15 per sq foot.
Ballpark range is $300-$600 depending on how big the hide is.
Example- If I know what someone wants sizewise or cost wise, I go for what they need.
Santa fe Indian Market is in August, I walk around with my finished hides,
they sell really fast to the Native Indian people that need them for ceremony or crafts.
I have 10 hides now that I will be softening soon when the humidity drops, will have elk, deer & 1 buffalo hide.
Ussualy in about a half hour, I can sell out because they can inspect my work, & smell the brains, & feel the softness.
I produce "garment grade" which cost more, but is worth more.
Commercial hides are cheap, and theres a big difference to those who "know".
None for sale.

Last edited:
Not selling any hides but was wondering as stated in my o/p-
Of in the community who else actually does this. Thank you.
None for sale.

Ok, none for sale here.

As I posted, I've done a few, mostly to put what I read into practice and see how much work it was.
Looked at the pics, doesn't look like your smoking them, any reason why?
I know some people like the white look of the unsmoked hides, but they just seem unfinished to me(the ones I've done).
The book I went with was "deer skins to buck skins" it was pretty easy to follow, and recommend by more than a few brain tanners.
Nice hides.

Yes I have refered to the same book, it is an excellent resource.
I give it away to guys here wanting to learn how if they get serious about it.

I tell them a little bit of what is involved, and honestly, once I start the softening process it is more like being in a 4 hour wresting match or 4 hour fight, as I am constantly moving, pulling, pushing, turning the hide, working it soft.

* Good eye you have too noticing none of mine are smoked, & the reason is this=
Here where I spend a lot of my time now,
the 18 Northern Pueblo Indian tribes, the Navajo, Zuni, Hopi etc all use mainly
the purest white hides, not ever smoked, & we also have hardly any humidity or rain.
The West Coast tribes, East coast tribes, Midwest tribes and Mountain Men will smoke their hides as they expect "wet conditions" and smoking protects from the moisture & stiffening, and helps preserve the hard work, and their investment.
So, unless I get someone that request "a smoked hide" which has NEVER happened to me here;
I dont do it, as it wont sell, they dont want it.

They need/want the most pure white hides I can produce, in fact I will use "sacred cornmeal"
and or
"blessed corn flour"
to help with this, to "clean them" up and add more whiteness.

So, depending on where you live region wise, youll see differant people using/wanting/ making either smoked hides or not smoked hides, depending on the use, like mocassins, robes, ceremony dress, war shirts, breast plates, etc.
In the days people made their own clothes, every hide got smoked for a reason- to last the test of time.
I learned how to do the big hides like whole buffalo and big elk watching the Cree women
who did the tanning way back when-
Nowadays, the work involved is great, I see artist substitute brain tanned or bark tanned hides with Tandy Leather Co. commercial hides instead due to cost. But they get less money for their art or craft in its not real "brain tanned" hides...
Sometimes too I see guys selling commercial hides, they have "sprayed with brain water" to try and fake the smell of a real brained tanned hide, to get quick money.
I want guys looking for me and my work, because they "know" its the "real deal"
I hope this helps and thanks for your input here!
I rarely if ever nowadays will meet anyone that can do this.
It is a skill, and not everyone out there can or even "wants to endure the stink, the horrid smell" of the rotting flesh, the decomposing epidermis, and the process of dehairing, fleshing, etc.
I even made my own tools & scrapers from the shin bones of the buffalo... Following traditional methods is also something I take pride in.
The look on an old Navajo medicine mans face when he inspects my work, smells the brains I have used still on the hide, and questions me on how I did it- IS PRICELESS!
* I used to run into a lot stubbornness & attitudes of the native people here with this-
"we dont want the White Man to know this knowledge"... I just rely "too late brother, its already up here" as I tap my head...*
It only motivated to be a better brain tanner.

Taking off the hair of a recent deer hide using a buffalo "shin bone scraper" I made.

Deleted if not allowed.

Last edited:
I learned how to "brain tan"
or soften animal hides from the fresh dead animal usining only the traditional Native American Indian way. No chemicals, only water, brains, elbow grease, and a big rack, sticks and stones.

Wondering if anyone else out there does this too?
Including a few pictures for visual reference.

Received my "hunt draw results" today, & I scored successful rifle hunts for the 2018 deer & elk ;)

Have never used brain on anything however I have stretched, salted and worked the hide daily moving it in and out of the weather and only sitting it out in the sun. Always worked for us. Hang on walls and low traffic rug areas

Agreed, it is the stretching pulling & the sun that does it, & great results come from the effort & the elbow grease.
For me it is the lecithin in the brains that helps as well. Pulling on a damp hide to a near dry state I watch each pull & push open up the pores, the hide will begin to "puff up & open" and gets softer.
I have very picky clients, which made me ocd about my work, and what I will approach them with.
When I started, it was a test... They were testing me to see if I would give up. When the Jicarilla Apache Tribe friends ask me if I wanted a fresh buffalo hide, it was another "test".
I passed, and am greatful to have the knowledge.
I have much respect for anyone willing to do this, and to even try or want to learn.
Here it is a lost art, slowly fading away.
Have never used brain on anything however I have stretched, salted and worked the hide daily moving it in and out of the weather and only sitting it out in the sun. Always worked for us. Hang on walls and low traffic rug areas

Agreed, it is the stretching pulling & the sun that does it, & great results come from the effort & the elbow grease.
For me it is the lecithin in the brains that helps as well. Pulling on a damp hide to a near dry state I watch each pull & push open up the pores, the hide will begin to "puff up & open" and gets softer.
I have very picky clients, which made me ocd about my work, and what I will approach them with.
When I started, it was a test... They were testing me to see if I would give up. When the Jicarilla Apache Tribe friends ask me if I wanted a fresh buffalo hide, it was another "test".
I passed, and am greatful to have the knowledge.
I have much respect for anyone willing to do this, and to even try or want to learn.
Here it is a lost art, slowly fading away.

I enjoy doing it myself. Never knew about the brain and it's chemicals. I'm grateful to of learned something new.

Much respect to you!
I enjoy it as well, and I feel closer to the "ancient ones" and the knoweledge they passed onto us.

When I was younger I remember helping my paternal grandfather brain tan our white tail deer hides with the hair intact. He used them to cover chairs in our office we still use them every day. I'll get a few pictures tomorrow.
My maternal grandfather would tan cow hides with and without hair. My brother moved into his house about 10 years ago and has a few of his chairs in good condition.

When I was younger I remember helping my paternal grandfather brain tan our white tail deer hides with the hair intact. He used them to cover chairs in our office we still use them every day. I'll get a few pictures tomorrow.
My maternal grandfather would tan cow hides with and without hair. My brother moved into his house about 10 years ago and has a few of his chairs in good condition.
That is very neat and interesting & I would love to see your pictures!

Last edited:
Thank you for reminding me of that. We have sat in those chairs for so many years we have taken them for granted.

I came across this today on YouTube covering the smoking process of buckskin hides-
Clearing out my work area and getting ready to finish a few hides myself very soon. Will post pictures or video soon. :)

I have always wanted to brain tan some buckskins but only made one failed attempt. I had a heck of a time trying to scrape the membranes and hair off and decided to make a batch of rawhide instead (read that to mean that I gave up). Now that heresthedeal mentioned that book, I may just get a copy and have another go.

One related anecdote: my great Opa and great uncles used to brain tan their buckskins then smoke them. My Oma gave me the last two hides they tanned (she estimates they were done sometime in the 1920s) which still have their dark color, softness, and a faint smoky smell. Simply amazing stuff when done properly.

I have always wanted to brain tan some buckskins but only made one failed attempt. I had a heck of a time trying to scrape the membranes and hair off and decided to make a batch of rawhide instead (read that to mean that I gave up). Now that heresthedeal mentioned that book, I may just get a copy and have another go.

One related anecdote: my great Opa and great uncles used to brain tan their buckskins then smoke them. My Oma gave me the last two hides they tanned (she estimates they were done sometime in the 1920s) which still have their dark color, softness, and a faint smoky smell. Simply amazing stuff when done properly.

Thank you for sharing-
Yes, you should try it again, it is in your bloodline!
Once you get down how much pressure to apply scraping the hair off & then getting the epidermis layer off: you will always know it.
Buckskin smoked, or even buckskin not smoked and taken care of will last several lifetimes.
There are many things you can make with brain tanned buckskin, from clothes to wear, or pouches purses & “medicine bags”, it can be beaded, painted, decorated, etc.
For me the rewards are great, knowing it was once on a live deer for its entire lifetime, then physically changed by me into a soft fluffy hide, then into a drum skin, clothes, bags is the reward being self made.
Not many have the patience to learn a new skill such as this one. Remember tho, if ever the time come around where we cannot “go buy clothes” at the retail stores and the Wally Worlds of today, if we are ever forced to “make our own clothes” : this skill will again be priceless and in high demand, outside of the MountainMan
and the Native Peoples.
If you do decide to give it a try, and need help or advice on what to do next, feel free to message me anytime, I am glad to help out.

Back