I am getting a milling machine

That's why I'm glad I'm getting the non tilting version. The LMS 3960.

I thought you were getting a G0704?

Brain fart... I was thinking of the X2.

I sold a knife to add to my funds. Ended up ordering a Grizzly 0705.

g0705.jpg

I won't be needing to swivel the column for tool changes with the size work I'll be doing.

Mills are dirt cheap if you consider the tooling and accessories you end up buying. Saving a few hundred bucks on a lesser mill, and putting on expensive ( there is no other kind) tooling is not efficient spending.

I advise to have $2500 on hand if buying a $1500 mill. $1500 for mill, $1000 for tooling and accessories ..... and that is just the starter package.

I won't be needing to swivel the column for tool changes with the size work I'll be doing.

That's not the problem with round column mills. When you have to adjust the height of the milling head on a round column, there is no way to keep the head from rotating slightly. So, if you want to do several operations at the same point on your workpiece with tools of different lengths, you have to recenter the mill head with your workpiece every time you raise or lower the head.

The LMS mill you linked was the cheapest one that is truly good for milling. It is also about the smallest mill available with all the important features that make milling jobs easy and repeatable.

That's not the problem with round column mills. When you have to adjust the height of the milling head on a round column, there is no way to keep the head from rotating slightly. So, if you want to do several operations at the same point on your workpiece with tools of different lengths, you have to recenter the mill head with your workpiece every time you raise or lower the head.

The LMS mill you linked was the cheapest one that is truly good for milling. It is also about the smallest mill available with all the important features that make milling jobs easy and repeatable.
Ding Ding Ding! Give this man a prize...

I think so too

He can switch it out for a solid steel shaft for a few hundred bucks later, and boost his mass up to where the vibrations get knocked down a bit.

He could also make sure he levels the machine, pours a pad for it, and keeps his cuts within the limitations of the machine.

CM, I wish you had looked at Craigslist for a REAL mill with those funds you got, it was right there in reach. Down here in Los Angeles they are always for sale at about $2000. Networking with folks would have got you one as well I am sure.

My immediate concern is off loading the crates. The freight service (FedEx) does not offer liftgate service and is curbside only. My garage is a bit over 100' from the curb.

What's a Johnson bar?

(I feel like I'm totally walking into a joke here)

Back