I am new to knives and the whole community

I recently sprouted an interest in Knives, but when I try to look stuff up I get overwhelmed. Like people discussing blade metal. Is there any good sites to go to or any blades for beginners I could purchase?

I can't really add a whole lot to what's already been said here. Seems like the bases have been well covered...

Welcome to Bladeforums!
Definitely one of the best places to hang out on the net if you're interested in this subject, so I Ihope you enjoy it. Just take your time, read, ask questions, and remember, as with any forum, to never take anything that's said too seriously or personal. Sometimes people get passionate about this stuff and come across hateful, but most of the time around here it's just kindness,and play, and anything that sounds mean was just meant in play. Alot of really cool people around here, so don't let any misunderstanding or such run you off.

Welcome!
Lots of good advice already. The one thing I would add is inexpensive doesn’t always mean cheap. There are plenty of reputable knife manufacturers and some have been mentioned already that produce a variety of inexpensive knives of various kinds and they are solid and dependable . I would recommend and personally avoid mystery steels that don’t have any way to research to know what they are or what to expect. So I would look at the well established manufacturers with a good solid reputation. Then find a knife that appeals to you that seems reasonable. And enjoy!

Aside from the other good advice already given, I'll add the following-

Learn the difference between quality and junk. By "junk" I mean knives that could actually endanger your fingers. There are quite a lot of people on this forum with a lot of experience with both quality knives and junk knives, listen to their advice.

Listening to the advice of others is valuable, but in the end it's your money, your needs, and your preferences that matter, so buy what YOU like, not what others tell you you should like. Don't buy a knife just because it's popular, or because someone on Youtube says it's awesome.

Before you buy a knife, do thorough research on it. Ask on this forum about it. I'm not saying that you should let others make up your mind, but the members here might have experience with a particular knife, and provide pros and cons that could help in your decision.

Also, and just as important as anything else, ask about the vendor selling the knife. Sadly there are a lot of unscrupulous people in the knife world (not here at Bladeforums) who sell counterfeit knives (cheap imitations of quality knives) and you don't want to get burned. Just as the members here have extensive experience with knives, they also have experience BUYING knives.

I'd add too that if you are new to knives you are probably new to sharpening... if you jump straight in to super steels, it will be a tougher learning curve - sharpening isn't really hard but there is a bit of an art... learning on a more budget friendly steel will help give you confidence before tackling some of the high end steels.

I find it helps by compartmentalizing knives and finding things suited to my interests. You an office worker? Construction worker? Hiker? Hunter? Do a lot around salt water? etc etc... maybe start by trying to think of what knife style/size you will integrate into your every-day lifestyle and go from there?

$50-150 will get you a great knife/tool that you can use your entire life if you decide that it's the one - with quality brands at that price point, you generally don't have to worry about a "bad" knife... I am sort of a buy once cry once person, but I also realize that you have to sort of learn what you like. There are plenty cheaper than that that are good too but may take a bit more vetting and research.

Spyderco delica/PM2, Benchmade griptilian/bugout, Civivi, Buck 110, Kershaw all have really good knives in that price range.

Also, buying used is a great way to touch more knives without losing a whole lot if you don't like them.

Find a local sports store that has a decent selection of knives... try and handle as many as you can and learn what you like.

Worry about steel last IMO at this point... we live in the golden age of steel and $50-150 knives pretty much all have perfectly serviceable steels. Size, ergos, function, style etc are all more important then the latest greatest steel IMO

Edit to add: Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to the greatest forum in the universe! :cool: Just start reading and learning. Use the search function to find threads that interest you more. Learn, learn, and learn some more before you start spending.
I'm the opposite of most people: Most people seem to buy the knives in super steels first and then worry about sharpening them; but I bought the sharpening system first, a Wicked Edge 130, and then started buying the knives in better steel.
Just search and learn what is best for you. I love fixed blades, autos, lock backs, and slip joint pocketknives.

And try not to become offended too easily. Sometimes the written word doesn't come off sounding right, and I'm the worlds worst at that. I try to assume that people mean well and try to read comments that way. So before getting angry, ask them for more clarification. Have fun!

Keep in mind the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies less and less to knives (and many other products) these days. The notion that low price necessarily equates to low product quality has become increasingly absurd. So is the notion that high prices necessarily equate to high product quality. Things have indeed changed.

Some people are willing to pay a premium for a certain brand name. That's fine, it's their money, but they're often not getting anywhere near the best bang for the buck. Another factor is the "jewelry factor." They just gotta have that SuperKnife(tm) with a blade made of 072816 Unobtainium and scales made from lapped meteor chunks. Makes for neat jewelry -- conversation pieces and sometime investment pieces, but not necessarily better knives than a $20.00 Ganzo in terms of actual product quality and performance.

All that said, if I was just starting out, very specifically:

I would order three reasonably priced classics on sale from either Amazon or MidwayUSA which often has blisteringly low prices:

A Buck 110. The grandfather of all folders. A great company with outstanding bang for the buck. You'll have it for the rest of your life. One will run you 50 bucks or less if you find it on sale.

A "Imperial Folding Pocket Knife 2.7" Drop point 7Cr17 High Carbon Stainless Steel Blade POM Handle." In other words a mini sod-buster, a classic. I ordered one earlier this week from MidwayUSA for $4.99! It'll provide sobering, hands-on proof of just how much bang-for-the-buck is available for next to nothing.

Finally a fixed blade. A "Cold Steel Recon Tanto Fixed Blade Knife 7" Tanto Point SK-5 Steel Blade Kray-Ex Handle Black." One will run you 30 bucks. Great knife, outstanding value.

The $85.00 spent for these three knives will also help calibrate your own senses of product quality and value. Good luck and welcome.

Back