1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I am still around - latest few.

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Diomedes Industries, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2007
    I am still kicking about. I have worked out a deal with an online sales site to carry my work and opened my own website. It keeps me fairly busy. In fact, I am ordering a Cobra 4 this week and I blame Paul Long for every bit of it (at least - that is what I tell my wife. Sorry Paul. ;) )

Here is my latest few just to prove I didn't drop off the face of the earth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was so much fun I was asked to make a lefty:

[​IMG]

8-10 ounce W and C leather, Orange Ritza 25.

Mostly, I make the simple ones still. Although I carve and stamp just to keep from getting bored or rusty.

[​IMG]

Jason

2. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Hey, Welcome home, Jason! Anyone who can run the tri-weave that well is a PRO! Therefore the acquisition of the Cobra 4 was a logical step. (with your wallet and small goods work, you should also consider a Cobra 18) Congratulations and I hope your learning curve is short and sweet. I'd be lost without my Cobras.

I'll have to run and check out your web site now. Continued Good Luck!

Paul

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Very cool work Jason! Good to see ya. I'dsecond the Cobra 18 for the lighter stuff. We use ours and use ours and use ours.....

PS your link to your site didn't work for me?

4. Skystorm

Skystorm A Cow Flayin' Sheath Making Angry Gnome

Oct 17, 2011
    Looks great, Just need to fix your sig.

5. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Very, very nice work!

6. sheathmaker

May 18, 2005
    Jason, edit your sig line, by removing the "visit us at" completely and your link will work I think. When we click on it as is, it does not work.

Paul

7. Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007
  8. Øye

Øye

Mar 29, 2014
    That's a good-lookin' sheath, but I think it would look even better if the flesh side was dyed black. :D

9. Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007
    That is funny that you say that. I never dye the inside if I can get away with it - as the dye tends to bleed - especially black - when a blade handle rubs up against it over and over and over.

Let me ask my customers for that style what they think, though.

Thanks for the honest feedback.

Jason

10. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    The undyed inside and folded over belt loop question is an interesting conundrum .
    I'm an advocat for simplicity and function in all design .
    The pic above of your " simple sheath " is an example of functional simplicity that is very easy on the eye and the whole sheath just flows into a complete package .
    Aesthetics does play a part in the overall package and even though I don't like admitting it I have thrown away sheaths that I've made because they didn't have the " look " I was chasing even though they had the function .
    Personally I feel the sheath in question with the undyed belt loop doesn't quite " look " right .
    That sheath has moved into the elaborate category with the tooling and multi color dye so the " look " takes on a greater role in the whole package .
    I'm in no way criticising that sheath it is an outstanding piece of work , I wouldn't know where to begin making something like that , so I tip my hat to you .
    So to cut a long story short , I think I would have dyed the loop a lighter brown or tan so that it was easier on the eye , and didn't have such a contrast between the dark and light .

Ken

11. sheathmaker

May 18, 2005
    I notice that Jason is fairly critical about the leather he uses with regard to the cleanliness and condition of the flesh side. Therefore if he were to use something like TanKote or a similar finish on the exposed areas of the flesh side it would do two beneficial things. It would slightly darken the leather thereby reducing the contrast with the dyed top grain, and would give a much more finished look to the flesh side, all without the mess of dying and the chance of dye migration onto the knife handles.

It is almost a moot point, however, because in actual use with the knife in place very little of the "offending" leather can even be seen....and will very soon darken and burnish from use.

Jason, I hope you don't mind a little good natured "nit picking" from the folks because you make a hell of a nice and good looking sheath.

Paul

12. Øye

Øye

Mar 29, 2014
    That makes perfect sense now that you say it. I pictured how my fingers look after working on a black-dyed project, and I wouldn't want a handle to end up like that. You know what you're doing. :)

13. Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007

Paul,

No sir, I do not. I take what everyone says in this forum to heart because I know everyone here paid for their opinion with hard work. I appreciate it all and just want to be better.

I seal my work with Montana Pitch Blend - but I think you make a great point about Tan Kote. It would add a little depth to the color and lay down the fiber. Let me give that a shot in my next few and see what I think.

Thanks again to everyone.

14. rayban

rayban

Apr 14, 2007
    You're getting (or already have) a machine?? WOW...for some reason I thought that might never happen.
    But you won't regret it. Good luck with it.
    RG