Review I bought 4 Global Knives last week and...

4_GLOBAL_KNIVES.jpg

They turned up as a surprise for my girlfriend.She loves them all which is the main thing.
The bottom Global one is a 5 inch serrated which is a different range to the other three.
Personally, I think they`re overhyped, overpriced and ugly.Plus their design is not fully thought through.
The laser branding is too bold too big and too garish IMHO - it makes them look like budget knives.
The blades are not perfectly flat and have visible flaws.My Chinese copies are better finished at a 1/35th of the price.
The small deep dimples in the handles retain liquids, sweat, skin particles and food debris which can only be thoroughly cleaned with a brush or dishwasher which, to me is unhygienic and Global strongly advise against dishwashers but commercial knife sterilisers are de rigueur apparently; how convenient - not.
Also the grantons (dimples) in the blades are not right to the edge so will cause suction.
Unlike this genuine Granton knife.
12_INCH_GRANTON_SLICER.jpg

If they were to the edge they would infringe copyright of Granton knives - making them continuously in Sheffield, England since 1601.The edge of a Granton knife should be wavy not straight.
Sheffield cutlers were pioneers - they invented stainless steel - these days we`d be lost without a few atoms thick layer of chrome over steel.
Out of the box sharpness is terrible for mid-range knives; they are below average.
This new £7 Chinese wonder annihilates all four knives for initial sharpness at the expense of edge retention.I couldn`t believe it but it`s true.
PLYS_CLEAVER.jpg

I can see why a lot of home chefs and pro cooks like them but they`re not my cup of tea.
So do you always get what you pay for ? In a word - NO

Last edited:
Looked at several of the readily available consumer brands when I was getting into kitchen knives a while back. I never got the attraction for Global, but they are definitely popular. I opted for Shun knives instead, which compete in the same general market segment.

I have never cared for the hollowed-out scallops on the sides of blades. They appear to be decorative and do not help with food release that I can tell. I have a Shun Classic nakiri that has them. It was on sale when I bought it, cheaper than the smooth-sided version of the same knife, which is why I went with it at all.

The exception, as roaduck mentioned, is the genuine Granton edge - with the scallops right to the edge and alternated between the two sides. I don't own one, but have read up on them enough to understand that the design does help with thinly slicing cooked meats, which I believe is the intention of that blade design.

Looked at several of the readily available consumer brands when I was getting into kitchen knives a while back. I never got the attraction for Global, but they are definitely popular. I opted for Shun knives instead, which compete in the same general market segment.

I have never cared for the hollowed-out scallops on the sides of blades. They appear to be decorative and do not help with food release that I can tell. I have a Shun Classic nakiri that has them. It was on sale when I bought it, cheaper than the smooth-sided version of the same knife, which is why I went with it at all.

The exception, as roaduck mentioned, is the genuine Granton edge - with the scallops right to the edge and alternated between the two sides. I don't own one, but have read up on them enough to understand that the design does help with thinly slicing cooked meats, which I believe is the intention of that blade design.
yep jc57 you are spot-on with your observations and in-depth knowledge.
The original Granton wavy edge was for fast accurate slicing in a carvery or front of shop counter without resorting to an electric slicer
Grant and Son knives said that the "Granton Edge" was widely copied but never bettered - for once not an idle boast,
The budget Chinese one is a copy of the Japanese sobakiri - you can put more pressure on it from above for cutting noodles.
Thank You Sir

Last edited:
Global demonstrates the power of marketing in our Western market--especially in Europe: a knife that fits a smaller hand, outperforms it's hardness--with flawless f&f.. Can be maintained with a pull through sharpener. Looks like jewelry: a woman's best friend.

It never sold successfully in Japan, and rarely makes it's way to an enthusiast knife shop anywhere--but it was the first Japanese knife to make it in a market dominated by heavier softer European metal. Global created an opening for Shun, who opened the floodgates to the enthusiast Japanese knives we all enjoy.

As you've been pointing out, it's the Chinese ready to emerge--but they have yet to find their version of a Global--and their noodle knife copy isn't the answer.

I have a Global model X. It's a horrible knife. The weight, balance, and feel reminds a person of a socket wrench.

The edge on mine looks to have been buffed. The edge tip and edge heel are rounded from someone running the knife across a belt. Rocking the knife as they got to the end. The center is fine. It's straight but not the tip or heel for about a 1/4 inch.

I'm a westerner. I don't know if it's some kind of intended Japanese Mojo on the edge. Or it's just a crappy knife.

The knife resides on a shelf and has been after three uses. Designated as the new, expensive, watermelon knife.

I do not like the knife.

Back