I can't give up the Classic SD

So today I had to cut down a large cardboard box and all I had on hand was the Classic. By resting my index finger on the spine of the penblade and cutting downward with the very tip of the blade, the box was eaten within minutes with hardly any effort. I was once again amazed about what can be done with just a very small penblade.

I have a bit of fondness for the Classic SD, simply because it was my first genuine Victorinox SAK back in high school. I still find it to be a handy all-in-one tool for building model airplanes, with its precise and pointy blade, small file, and scissors. But I don't carry one, because I find the Classic's handle to be too short for me to feel comfortable and safe using the blade. I can only fit two fingers around the handle; if I try to hold it in three fingers, my index finger ends up on the (tiny!) ricasso. My default choice for a small pocket knife is a Schrade (USA) Old Timer 104OT.

Agree with OP, hard to beat the Classic SD. Small, light, and easy to carry. Basically have one in every bag and vehicle as well.

4e8NRY2.jpg

Great thread. My first real knife was a Classic. It’s a favorite of mine. Years later I bought a Rambler, wonderful little knife. I especially like that the key ring/lanyard allows for the knife to be deployed more usefully. Open the nail file and the Phillips driver and you’ve got a nice, impromptu handle for the blade. For a while, I carried the Leatherman Micra, useful tool and very rugged. But the Victorinox 58mm knives are easier to operate and are just made nicer. I also have to agree with many of you, these small knives are usually all that’s needed for most people on a daily basis. I’m not chopping down trees or sawing branches most days. These little pocket tools are perfect for most anyone,.
I seem to be developing arthritis in my right index finger, with the first knuckle bending less and less to its full extent. A couple of days ago, when I opened my Rambler’s scissors, I found I couldn’t get a decent purchase on the knife because I couldn’t close my finger on it enough. Painful and frustrating.

Trying your technique just now allows me to use my ring finger and pinky to compensate for the loss of my index finger. The nail file alone works very well for me as the extension.

Thank you so much for this tip. It’s a life changer for me.

I seem to be developing arthritis in my right index finger, with the first knuckle bending less and less to its full extent. A couple of days ago, when I opened my Rambler’s scissors, I found I couldn’t get a decent purchase on the knife because I couldn’t close my finger on it enough. Painful and frustrating.

Trying your technique just now allows me to use my ring finger and pinky to compensate for the loss of my index finger. The nail file alone works very well for me as the extension.

I feel your pain mate arthritis is the worst 👎🏻👎🏻

My pleasure, happy that it helped!

Yeah, but that would be one more thing on my keychain. Plus, I like the reach on the Rambler. The screws I used it on were recessed a bit, and I don't know that the Quattro would have reached them.

Yeah, but that would be one more thing on my keychain. Plus, I like the reach on the Rambler. The screws I used it on were recessed a bit, and I don't know that the Quattro would have reached them.

I just measured the bits on the Quatro. It can reach down to 1/4 inch recess to the the screw head.

Re my Classic Alox, I am also having second thoughts about replacing it with the Mini Champ Alox on my keychain. At first I was upset that the blade touches the nail file, but it's necessary for the extremely slim profile and weight. But since I already ordered a Mini Champ, I will have to try it.

To answer OP’s question: yes.
My everything model : Bantam Alox

That’s my scraper, bottle opener, can opener, phillips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, light prybar, knife blade. Alox handles let me use alcohol to rub it down and clean it or wash it with water and don’t have to worry about any scales loosening over time and falling off.

The Alox bantam I’ve realized is the perfect pocket tool (for me at least).

I have several Classics. I like the look and the utilitarian value of them, in a very small and pocket friendly package.

That said, that's not what I usually carry on a daily basis. If I'm carrying a Classic, it's most likely because 1. I'm going to be somewhere that limits the blade length of what I can legally carry 2. I'm going to be in a situation where my clothing or activities will make carrying something larger/heavier inconvenient 3. for variety, just because I like to carry different things on different days, depending on what I expect to be doing.

I won't be trying to psychoanalyze why people prefer to carry tiny knives, or big Bowie knives, or any other kind of knife - or no knife at all. I'm just going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that it is just that: personal preference.

I have several Classics. I like the look and the utilitarian value of them, in a very small and pocket friendly package.

That said, that's not what I usually carry on a daily basis. If I'm carrying a Classic, it's most likely because 1. I'm going to be somewhere that limits the blade length of what I can legally carry 2. I'm going to be in a situation where my clothing or activities will make carrying something larger/heavier inconvenient 3. for variety, just because I like to carry different things on different days, depending on what I expect to be doing.

I won't be trying to psychoanalyze why people prefer to carry tiny knives, or big Bowie knives, or any other kind of knife - or no knife at all. I'm just going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that it is just that: personal preference.
To me the small blades just don’t cut that well. Regular SAK has more blade to it that allows more ”sawing” motion and propably has better edge geometry too. I also like the longer handle that I can hold normally.

While I can't give up on the Classic, I can't stop losing the dang things either! My fault because I've gotten really used to pocket carrying them which I love, but at the same time makes them way more prone to disappearing than if it was attached to my keys. My most recent loss was an alox classic attached to a pico widget bar. Boo. Just dug out an old freebie Classic that was given to me when I purchased a used Victorinox Waiter back in the day. The scales were all messed up and the tools were missing so I just popped them off, cleaned and sharpened it up, and attached it to my keys. Back in action. A Classic was my very first knife 20 or so years ago and I have no plans on giving up on them.

We're on a road trip to California again spendng the thanksgiving holiday with the daughter and her family that we see too little of. Left Georgetown Texas on Thursday and arrived in Mission Viejo Friday afternoon. Already the classic has been a little workhorse.

My son in law, great guy and we love him, but he's not exactly a handy harry homeowner. Things always need some fixing/tweeking/adjustments when we're here. The SD nail file tip makes a dandy small Phillips driver for removing covers/housings to access filters for changing, adjusting whatever, and removal of battery compartment covers. The SD tip of the nail file or knife blade tip is good for dabbing a tiny bit of spackle into a nail hole or three where a picture has been moved on the wall. The classic also makes a decent cigar end cutter for the after dinner cocktail and cigar.

Classic; the tiny little thing that is sooooo under estimated by many.

We're on a road trip to California again spendng the thanksgiving holiday with the daughter and her family that we see too little of. Left Georgetown Texas on Thursday and arrived in Mission Viejo Friday afternoon. Already the classic has been a little workhorse.

My son in law, great guy and we love him, but he's not exactly a handy harry homeowner. Things always need some fixing/tweeking/adjustments when we're here. The SD nail file tip makes a dandy small Phillips driver for removing covers/housings to access filters for changing, adjusting whatever, and removal of battery compartment covers. The SD tip of the nail file or knife blade tip is good for dabbing a tiny bit of spackle into a nail hole or three where a picture has been moved on the wall. The classic also makes a decent cigar end cutter for the after dinner cocktail and cigar.

Classic; the tiny little thing that is sooooo under estimated by many.
Carl do you still keep your Classic in the sheath on your keyring? I'm trying to find a different method of carry so that I don't lose these things so often.

Back