I did a little advising with Hollywood in the past - on survival tecniques...

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Diomedes Industries, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007
    I didn't know if anyone knew - but after mastering the hand drill fire - I did a little advising with Hollywood on a Star Trek Episode.

I remembered this when I was watching the Episode that I worked on on Youtube today.

Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5pkZCWsLJg&feature=related

Fastforward to thirty seconds on this episode and watch Picard use the hand drill. This is the technique I taught him. I normally get a result much better than his - but - for t.v. - he did okay.

TF :D

2. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007
    AWESOME, very cool to see one of our own train a Hollywood legend

3. HornyToad

HornyToad

May 2, 2008
    Wow. That technique is good. I never saw a flame leap out of drill board like that. Good to see you back.

4. kgd

kgd

Feb 28, 2007
    I think Picard and Ryker have some man-love between them.......I'm just saying....So that whole 'keep your hands hydrated with saliva thing', well it had duel purposes.............

5. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007
    Yeah - not bad for being 17 years old and living in Michigan.... :D

TF

6. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007

NO WAY!!!!!!! :eek: your 17? :eek: I thought you were about 40 - 50 y/o [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME, you much more mature than me...:D

7. grunt soldier

grunt soldier Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2009
    shit that wouldn't be bad for a 30 y/o living anywhere. congrats man that is really cool.

8. Ultraman

Ultraman

Oct 28, 2005
    Impressive to be a consultant, especially at that age :thumbup:

From what I saw there was a spark of flame after some smoke - maybe a little Hollywood magic for the scene? Not meant to be critical of you because as you indicated, you were teaching technique. Doing the scene (or "Making it so" to use Picard's favorite line :D) is a different thing.

EDIT TO ADD: if the technique works that way, please ignore my last paragraph. I have no experience in primitive fire making techniques (tried a bamboo saw once as a kid and got nowhere).

9. KennyB

KennyB

Jan 19, 2010
    Actually, in one of the lost episodes it was revealed Spock and Kirk had a little trist

[​IMG]

:eek:

Also, that's pretty sweet. I just watched that episode the other day.

His eyes wide open! Darmok, and Gilard, at Tanagra.

10. martensite

martensite

Jul 22, 2001
    Talfuchre, his fire starting.

:)

11. fixer

fixer Banned BANNED

Mar 9, 2000
    i was expecting you were going to say that you taught Bear Grills everything he knows! :D

12. gunknifenut

gunknifenut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 9, 2006
    Take it easy guys...Talfucher is yanking the chain as they say. Pulling your leg..having a piss.
    I thought the video was pretty funny! I want to learn how to make the fire shoot up like that...very nice.:thumbup:

13. gunknifenut

gunknifenut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 9, 2006
    This post made me throw up..(almost). Now I cant watch any price..whatever commercials ..not cool man.:D

14. Redeye

Redeye

Jan 12, 2010
    I'll refrain from telling you about Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon then, 'cos that would REALLY upset you

15. unit

unit

Nov 22, 2009
    Thanks for sharing this.

T'is funny stuff.

16. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    I think TF is being modest. He was actually a cast member on Star Trek.

Make up can't hide that big ole forehead of his!

[​IMG]

17. Diomedes Industries

Diomedes Industries

Mar 19, 2007
    Yeah - I watched that episode last night - and saw that tiny drill and the flame just shoot up and thought you guys would enjoy a laugh too.

TF

18. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007
    good one.....lol.....

you yank our leg too about being 17?

(i seriously thought you were much older) :D

19. Pritch

Pritch

May 3, 2006
    [Captian Obvious] Bushie, the idea was that TF was 17 back when the episode was shot. [/Captian Obvious] :D

20. tonym

tonym

Mar 18, 2008
    Bushy has been inhaling too much fatwood smoke...

Poor guy, someone get him some birchbark!