1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Did It--- Broke my Axe Handle

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by David Martin, Apr 8, 2018.

1. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I broke my axe handle on my Mann boys ax. I'll procure help and get you some photos posted. Just a unlucky swing, cut thru the limb and hit the trunk. That handle was already
    20 plus years old... Still, I was hoping to get another year out of it. DM

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Handles, like the heads themselves, are ultimately consumable. Got your money's worth out of it, I reckon.

Brian Rust likes this.
  3. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Ouch that's two cracked handle reports tonight.
    *#it happens, as the bumper sticker says;):cool:

4. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    A factor is our dry climate. The sun bakes it and they dry out. Then with chopping they are more fragile than you think. It took me 2 hours including the time to get the head off the broken handle and on the new with a decent job. If you use them you'll have to replace one in time. DM

Square_peg likes this.
  5. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Here it is.
    [​IMG]

6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Then with the new ACE Hardware handle hung. DM
    [​IMG]

7. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Here's the top end. I took your advice and counter sunk the wedge. Then burred the ends over it. This handle is very blonde wood, it could be where the tree was grown and the curing. DM
    [​IMG]

8. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I also gave it a coating of boiled linseed oil and a touch up sharpening. The haft is 25" from the bottom of the head to the bottom of the fawn's foot. 28" over all.
    I've not cut anything with it yet as I'm letting the epoxy cure over night. This pack axe or Boys ax could be my favorite ax. Because it's portable and can get a lot
    of limb work done. It's not the work horse that my Hults Burks is. Nor does it weigh 5 lbs.. But it's still is a good working duty class, around camp, trail cleaning
    or around a farm. Thanks for the previous threads on this type ax because if not for those I may not have pick up this Mann. DM

Miller '72 likes this.
  9. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Davids pics below....i couldnt see the ones he posted...might just be my phone....either way posted again.......

20180408_123113_1200x1600.jpg 20180408_103118_1200x1600.jpg 20180408_123051_1200x1600.jpg

Square_peg and WILLIAM.M like this.
  10. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Breaking along the short grain, the handle never having seen much use and when it did, the inevitable failure due to no fault by any user, the handle flawed from the start. Good riddance.:)

Miller '72 likes this.
  11. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    The initial post noted that the handle lasted 20 years.

12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes, not on my ax. It was hung on my Father in Law's ax. By whom I don't know. Likely not him. It mostly rested in his shop. Which turns into a oven each summer. Usually around 115* in there. Then I came along and thought that was the wrong haft for his ax. Which was a Wards Master Quality 3.5 lb.. So, I removed it and hung it on my Boys
    ax, which it fit. My Father in Law couldn't much swing an ax for the last 20 yrs.. So, he would ask me to come trim his trees (he has several large mulberry)
    and I would bring my tools. The last time I recall using his axe was around 2000. And it could have been a year before that. So, I'm close. Anyway I thank you for your observations and both these axes now have new hafts. Mine gets used and I'll see how these hold up. DM

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  13. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I hope the grain structure on my new haft looks better. Because I plan on using this pack axe and like this size. Plus, the Mann steel holds a good edge. I normally
    stop at a fine India 320-400 grit, a 1970's Norton IB-8 stone, made in the U.S.A.. DM

Square_peg and jblyttle like this.
  14. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I'm a fan of those Norton IB-8 stones. I have a few that I use for different things. I just got a chipped one for free that I plan on making an axe puck out of.

15. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Call me a day late and a dollar short. I heard/read that a good glue job was stronger than the wood being bonded. The next time I break a handle, I will Gorilla glue it and wrap it with lamp pull cord (like a fishing pole eye). I can afford a new handle, but I want to test the glue theory and I think the wrap would improve the gripability.
    The theory might work for wooden handled shovels, hoes, edgers, rakes, etc. David, you need to take your axe into the sauna.

16. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks, jblyttle. I've used this type stone since I started cutting meat in the early 80's. It works well on steels up to cpm154. As long as they don't have vanadium carbides in the mix. Commercial, industrial grade knives is were it really shines. Putting a nice, sharp edge on them. Plus, the India wears very slow. Offering good economy.
    Maybe so Tig. Yes, we need more moisture here. DM

Faiaoga and Agent_H like this.
  17. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Yes, I read that.

18. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Ernest, looking at it some more, I think you have a point.
    tiguy, that would be a lot more work for me. I was going to use it to smoke a brisket on the grill and get some end use out of it. DM

19. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Today I cut several limbs with it and it worked fine. So, I'm back in business. Thanks, DM

20. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    I trimmed more trees with this ax over the weekend and I really like the way it works. Mann really made a functional size ax, double the strength and cutting of a hatchet. DM

FortyTwoBlades and Miller '72 like this.