1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I don't know what to buy!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Irtheras, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Irtheras

Irtheras

Nov 1, 2016
    First things first, hello there, my name's James, and I'm new here!
    Okay, so I want to buy a folding knife for my EDC, the thing is my budget is relatively low, so I don't want to buy sh... A really bad thing. I know, the cheaper the worse, but there got to be something!
    The first knife is Boker Magnum Satin Elegance, because I simply like it by the look. My only concern is the steel, I've heard that 440A isn't that great, so I really dunno...
    The second one is Sanrenmu Real Steel E77, I've read that 8Cr14MoV is better, harder to blunt and such... ( my inner child is telling me "DON'T GET THAT, MATT HAS THE SAME ONE", but that's not an issue tho', I just really dig the wooden look! ),
    Maybe it's stupid, because I'm new to this and don't really know shit, so I should buy what I like visually... What do you guys think? Is 440A really that bad? Anyone has them and can say something about them? I want to see what can you recommend too, the price range for recommendations are like, up to 40USD I guess, cause I'm not American and it's not my currency.

2. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Welcome. :thumbup: Get a Spyderco Delica or a Benchmade Griptilian. Cannot go wrong with either one.

3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Get a buck 482, it's a great lightweight American made knife that only costs 20$.
    Bucks 420hc is great for everyday carry as it holds an edge fairly well and is easy to sharpen, being new it helps to have a knife that's easy to sharpen. If you eventually decide you want something that holds an edge longer ( I haven't developed the need for anything more ) you may buy then have the sharpening skills needed.
    Since your not in the US, can you actually carry a locking knife where you live ? Either way you may also want to look at Victorinox, their knives are of great quality and are very affordable.
    BTW I googled that boker and it looks a re-branding of a piece of junk that my brother used to have, so I'd stay away from it ( yes 440a really isn't a very good steel, but can be fine for edc )

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  4. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Spyderco Tenacious, Ontario Rat 1 and Kershaw Blur are the best of the low priced knives. Spend less than that and you risk getting something that is not worth the even lower price that you will pay for it.

5. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I would recommend the Kershaw Link given your budget. 420hc steel, very good size for an edc knife and plenty of options in terms of materials. FRN handles or aluminum, drop point or tanto, plain edge or serrated, your choice. Plus a fantastic warranty to back it up.

6. Irtheras

Irtheras

Nov 1, 2016
    I found Buck 482, and Buck 816 Lux, both look nice, but I can't afford them from an American site and couldn't find it anywhere else ( shipping cost is freaking enormous, I live in Poland, Europe ), have you got any recommendation for European knives? Locking knives are legal where I live so don't worry. I'm currently searching for Sanrenmu, Schrade or Gerber. Schrade Liner Lock Drop Point Folding Knife SCH109 seems decent...

EDIT: I just saw next posts after posting mine, thanks, I'll search them up!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I bet you could easily find a French opinel , they're known for they're quality and value at under 20$ msrp. There's also the classic German Mercator lockback that goes for around 30$ here in the states, which is also known for its quality and value.
    These are both traditional folders, but are locking knives which are available in Europe and known for their quality and value.

8. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    save your money rather than buy those you listed.

9. TickTock

TickTock

Jul 21, 2016
    yup, this. you can't go wrong!

10. Kai Winters

Kai Winters

Mar 16, 2012
    If you like the knife, buy the knife...it is your collection.
    If your going to "use" the knife and perhaps beat it up perhaps starting with a less expensive blade to start with would be a better way to go.
    If it's going to be a display knife, easy use knife, etc. that steel will be fine...perhaps needing a bit more attention to the edge compared to the harder steels.

Let us know what you wind up getting.
    Welcome aboard...

11. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    http://www.baryonyxknife.com/mercator.html

The Mercator lockback is a classic. You can get carbon or stainless steel. For higher price, you can get it with the brass handle.

The manufacturer Otter-Messer is in Germany. Right across the border. :)

12. Irtheras

Irtheras

Nov 1, 2016
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I think I'll go and wait some more, so my budget would raise, or I'll simply get a Mercator "Black Cat" Lockback, they seems nice, and since you recommend them, I know it's not that bad for it's price!
    Do you guys think is it worth to wait a bit more ( I have to get more money ) and then spend more for a Spyderco even though it's going to be my first knife?

13. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    RealSteel H6 or H6-S1
    Kershaw Link
    Byrd Cara Cara
    Spyderco Tenacious
    Manly manufactures the Comrade in Bulgaria, I'm not certain if available in Poland, but it's a fine knife
    Some of the Kizlyar and Kizlyar Supreme knives from Russia are well made also.

14. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I did a quick bit of looking and found some options that I'd recommend that fall under 160zl. Apparently USD prices don't translate directly as most of these are considerably cheaper here. Something that's 156,00zl ($40) there is often only $20 in the states.

I did however find these for sale on a Polish shop's site:

Kershaw OSO Sweet
    Kershaw Thermite
    Kershaw Nura 3.0
    Kabar Dozier Lockback

All great knives and all within your $40 budget. I'd get the OSO Sweet. Great knife.

At around 200,00zl you can get an Ontario Rat II or something from the Spyderco Byrd line. I've never had a Rat II, but the Byrd knives are fantastic.