I finally bought a Delica, and I love it.

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Planterz, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Planterz

Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    I've been carrying a pocket knife for ~25 years (I'm 40), and I've been on bladeforums for 16, and it has taken me this long to get a Delica.

My only previous experiences with the Delica were with the 3 and previous generations, fixing up worn out/damaged/dull ones for friends and co-workers. I never liked the Delica because the handle was just a tad too short. I have an older Tasman Salt, and despite having the same handles, the Tasman didn't feel like it was too small simply because the angle of the thumb ramp/hump allowed a better grip that was just barely big enough.

I didn't realize until receiving one that the Delica 4's handles are just a slight bit longer, and that extra few millimeters make a huge difference in my comfort in grip, and the size really is "just right" for me, as is the knife on the whole. I don't need a pocket machete, and the slightly thinner stock of the Delica compared to the Endura or my Caly Jr (2.5mm vs 3mm) will suit my needs for a slicier rather than more robust blade. I'm kinda embarrassed that I've waited this long to get a knife that I've recommended countless times and is certainly one of the most popular knives ever.

This definitely won't be my only Delica 4. I'm expecting I'll get a K390 one when they're out, and do a blade swap with a Zome GitD - I think the inevitable patina wil match nicely with the mottled Zome handles (plus as you can see I like stuff that glows in the dark).

[​IMG]

Pictured with FrankenLeek and an iron coin of great value.

2. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    They are cool, just got a supergold to go with my endura.

Planterz and 91bravo like this.
  3. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
  4. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    The Delica 4 is the one I fell in love with after being not so in love with previous generations because it fit my 2XL hand so well. I have 3, including a GITD. It is my favorite knife in this blade length.

Tadeusz123 and Planterz like this.
  5. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    I don't have a Delica, but I recently started to dabble in folders and have only bought Spyderco products. Chaparral lightweight has been living in my pocket for the last few months. I would like to pick up a Delica wharncliffe at some point.

However, that Frankenleek is really cool - I like the blade shape a lot. From an internet search, it appears that they are not too common...

Planterz likes this.
  6. Planterz

Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    The blade is from the recent sprint run with yellow Cerakote handles (courtesy of an extremely generous member), black hardware, and the blackwash S30V "Random Leek" blade. I swapped it to the GitD carbon fibre handles and the uncoated liners from a regular carbon fibre Leek. So 3 parts from different Leeks, plus an aftermarket deep carry titanium clip. I've always loved the Leek's blade, but the Random blade, in addition to just looking cool as hell, has just a bit more curve, making it still as useful as a modified wharncliffe, but more useful overall in general.

Hurrul, coinbuysell, AntDog and 2 others like this.
  7. StuntDouble

StuntDouble

Apr 26, 2004
    Geez Planterz, it's about time man! As much as I like looking at all the fancy cool new folders coming out lately, the reality is that a Delica can handle 99% of all the cutting chores I encounter. Every time I've bought something new, I ultimately end up going back to the D4.

That's one sweet looking Frankenleek. I've always loved that Random blade, and wish they would make it a regular addition to the model. As it is, yours is really tempting me to pick up one of the GITD Leeks before they completely disappear.

Planterz, Gizler00 and 353 like this.
  8. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I got tired of carrying Benchmades. It is not that they are not good knives, they are. But they have this almost obsessive-compulsive drive towards the silly blade to handle ratio. You never see a fixed blade like that. This nonsense makes the Benchmade handles too small for my hand. I had a Caly3 that I really loved so I gave the D4 a shot and my hand fell in love at first touch. Now, I want a wharncliffe, but there is the Salt 2 and the K390 versions first.

Planterz and mdrgn79 like this.
  9. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Been buying Spyderco knives since the mid 90's and have never owned a Delica nor Endura.

I know.

Planterz, Insipid Moniker and AntDog like this.
  10. Planterz

Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    Once upon a time I had a Benchmade 705-401 in silver twill G-10, and it was such a beautiful knife but I eventually let it go because it was just too small to comfortably hold. I either had a Calypso Jr or a Caly 3 at the time (or both), and despite having the same blade length as the 705, the Spyderco was far more comfortable to hold than the Benchmade. My Caly 3 ZDP-189/carbon fibre feels like I designed it just for me - easily the most comfortable folding knife I own.

I've had an Endura for a while, but I'll probably never own one for utility use. Mine is a serrated Wave model, and it's purely carried for the worst case scenario. I know there's plenty of knives longer than the Endura, but it feels much larger than I need for utility, and anything longer would feel like a pocket machete.

11. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    An interesting piece even more so, with the various mods/parts all coming together to make it one of a kind.

I had not come across Kershaw sprint runs before - thanks for the info.

Planterz likes this.
  12. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I have a constant battle in my head of what my personal GOAT pocket knife is.

The two main contestants are a small insingo 21 pj and guess what else..

The Delicas.. VG10, H1(Salt 2), M390 and so on. Just LOVE the Delica plattform. Gonna have me some Ti scales for one of them in time..

Planterz likes this.
  13. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Thanx Planterz.

I added that extra length on the Delica 4 because I felt it needed it for a secure grip. I'm not in the "blade to handle" ratio group. I've always said that a scalpel would not work better if the handle were shorter or the blade was longer. The Delica 4 supports that argument. My position on "Handle to blade ratio" is, "Too much eye and not enough brain".

sal

jpm2, Lee D, Crazy Canuck and 7 others like this.
  14. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Sal, that is why you are the Man! It is why I own so many Spydercos. They fit and they work.

Planterz likes this.
  15. Planterz

Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    I'm glad you did, because it really does make a world of difference; essentially it's the difference between a knife I wouldn't want to buy and a knife I love to use. Myself, I do like a good blade to handle ratio, but not at the expense of practicality. I've got a Boker Tiny Urban Trapper as a "gents" knife, and it has a fantastic blade blade to handle ratio, but it's just not very easy or comfortable to use because there's so little handle to hold (plus the flipper tab gets in the way). I prefer my Kopa (cocobolo) with its poor blade to handle ratio because despite its diminutive size it's comfortable to hold and use - and the handles are identical in length.

16. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Spyderco performs voodoo on handles. I have XL sized hands and despite a ton of hands-on experience to the contrary, I'm still not sure how they got my hand to get a full, 4 fingered grip on models like the dragonfly and meerkat. Sorcery!

Planterz, 5-by-5 and DocT like this.
  17. Jdubb

Jdubb

Jun 28, 2020
    The length of the D4 handle and its design make for some truly excellent ergonomics!!!

Humbly request the removal of the rear hump on the Para 3 to allow more usable space for the pinky...

18. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    My first higher end knife and remains one of my favorites. Still sees frequent use on the job.

[​IMG]

jacksterp, 353, Roundg and 2 others like this.
  19. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Delica4 is such an amazing and underrated knife. I think every knife owner needs to get one in their hands.

mitch13 likes this.