I finally did it!

Yep, I finally disassembled the small Solar Wind Sebenza that I purchased from Rdangerer! (Also my first Chris Reeve knife.) After taking it apart and looking at all the pieces, I thought, "There must be more parts somewhere." But there were no more parts, and that is the beauty of the design. OK, I had it all clean and ready to put together, a copy of Stjames' "Unofficial Sebenza FAQ" in front of me, oiled the parts as Anne Reeve specified then proceded to put it back together using Anne's directions again. It worked the first time.
I thought it was smooth when I first got it...WOW! It smoothed up considerably after cleaning. And I must have rotated the stop pin sleeve, because before the cleaning it was locking up at around 90% and now it is more like 80%. Unexpected benefits of a good cleaning, I guess. :)

Now all I need for it to be perfect is a trip back to Chris for dual thumb studs. Is the turnaround still around two weeks?
Although I won't be able to get another Sebenza for a while, I now find myself fantasizing about a small woodie and a small classic. Both with dual thumb studs, of course.

Dave,
you can't beat those woodies! I took my large ironwood woody apart last night for a cleaning and after putting it back together I have about 30% to 40% lockup. I was getting about 50% prior to the take down. This may not seem like much but I don't believe the blade is going anywhere as the locking bar is stiff to push over. I have been using CRK fluorinated grease on mine and it takes a few openings and closings to get it smoothed up. Guess it takes that to get the grease worked in.

Back