I got carried away with sheath making

After O2W started I got the idea that with all the blades coming out I could save some money by making my own sheaths. With guns and knives already being some of my biggest hobbies it only seemed like a natural extension. It started out small with just a drill and my oven, but after some sub par results I kept adding to the tools. I also found out I rather enjoy the hobby and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

In the amount of tools and equipment I've acquired all hope of savings has been thrown out the window. Not only did I spend way more then I would have if I had just bought some sheaths I've realized just how much skill it takes to make a quality sheath.
If you ever get a similar idea I recommend against it unless you are looking for a new hobby. You can make a functional sheath without spending much money, but to produce something truly professional it takes some money (at least for me it did).

Last edited:
Awesome. I bet you will come out ahead eventually, and it doesn't get any more custom than making something yourself

I do have 8 more on order so it might be possible but I just invested in a heat press to get away from monopolizing my wife's kitchen on the weekends.

I've been doing it for many years. Buying Busse got me into kydex. It's a really fun hobby and has saved me a fortune in the long run. Mine are all serviceable, and some pretty good. Still, my stuff will never compare to the kydex artist that Dave Brown is... Dude is the Yoda of kydex (or Vader... hmmm). Likely you will not either.

But you're investment will pay off in te long run. Don't kid yourself by thinking that you are done with the Busse and kin you own now.... it doesn't work that way. ;)

I do have 8 more on order so it might be possible but I just invested in a heat press to get away from monopolizing my wife's kitchen on the weekends.

I bet she didn't love the smell of kydex in the morning....smells like DIVORCE! :eek:

So... Can I put in my order now for a new sheath????[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Ive been at it for apx 5 years now and you have a nicer set up then me. Check out this awesome drill press lol
621eaae35a81700fc68c9dfdc2c42e89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff bud!!!! Now let's see some finished product pictures

Maybe you did get carried away with sheath making but perhaps you'll be financially carried by sheath making. Either way I hope you are enjoying yourself and best of luck to you!

As requested a couple of pictures, I'm using .093 Kydex so the definition isn't as good compared to the thinner stocks.
cDAzkSrm.jpg
H4LYpG1m.jpg
8VrUh94m.jpg

tHx4kqnm.jpg
DDxpqtSm.jpg
QfZob6pm.jpg

Its still very much a work in progress overall. I now know why an AK sheath costs so much more money, talk about work.

I came to absolutely the same conclusion before I bought quite that much stuff. I realized for me the only reason to make them was because I did not want to wait or send my knife away.

Looking Great.

As requested a couple of pictures, I'm using .093 Kydex so the definition isn't as good compared to the thinner stocks.
cDAzkSrm.jpg
H4LYpG1m.jpg
8VrUh94m.jpg

tHx4kqnm.jpg
DDxpqtSm.jpg
QfZob6pm.jpg

Its still very much a work in progress overall. I now know why an AK sheath costs so much more money, talk about work.

Thanks Dave, I only aspire to reach your level of ability one day but will probably never come close to achieving it.

Back