I got Hinderer's XM Slippy with a very bad action.

I got this knife as a used one, but the action is so bad I am not able to open it with one hand, I even have very hard time opening it with two hands. While opening it sounds like the pivot is way overtightened, so I disassambled it and it turned out all the pressure comes from back spring. Is there any chance to make the action nice again? I was thinking about making the contact point on the spring more curved so it doesn't have that large contact area, but the problem might be somewhere else. The side bolts are also not too tight, so the spring has plenty place to move. Any suggestions?

Got it solved, it was a pivot problem after all. Dunno how to delete the thread, sorry.

Got it solved, it was a pivot problem after all. Dunno how to delete the thread, sorry.
Use the threat to inform people who may have the same issue in the future. What exactly did you do to fix it? Im sure it could help someone down the road.

I'm not familiar with the Hinderer, other than knowing it exists & having seen pictures; but I wouldn't expect to open a slipjoint with one hand.

And with two? There is a thing on the edge so you can open it with one hand. The problem was that as I was (and the previous owner as well) reassembling it the back, the spring is pushing to the blade and that all is slightly curving the two main pins. As I was trying to press the handle to those pins and the pivot .. the pivot got a little bit to the back side of the knife without me realizing it .. and that was all the trouble.

Last edited:
That's one of the hazards of buying used knives - you never know what a previous owner may have messed with (messed up).
But that factor aside, is one hand opening a "feature" of the Hinderer slipjoint,?

More or less, I unscrewed it because I need to open the knife with two hands.

img-hinderer-slippy-01.jpg

Back