i got my first sebenza, and probably my last

ive been wanting one of these for a while since i saw then on knifecenter.com 4 years ago.

i finaly got one. a large plain.

its a great work knife. i got mine in good condition, but used so i had to sharpen it.

WOW, BG-42 is a BITC- to sharpen. that steel is like marble compared to ats 34. that edge must last forever. unfortuatly, i have no intention of finding out.
i have a native from spyderco in 440v and that does all my utitlty tasks fine.

i would have no problem using a 500 dolar custom knife if it was purchased for defensive purpouses, but to use a knife that expensive, oh that just hurts my eyes.

got to credit the design though, no expence spared in materials and 1st rate workmanship. just wish it was more ergonomic.

if reeve colablrated with emerson and put a wave on the sebenza, that would make a truly kick ass fighter.
speed and strength.

Try diamond stones. Only way to fly for me.
Works for 420V at Rc58 and BG-42 at Rc61.

Memnoch,

Sharpening is the first question answered on the CRK site FAQ's.
What is the best way to keep my Chris Reeve Knife sharp?

"One important thing to remember with any knife is to maintain the edge - it is better to keep it reasonably sharp rather than let it get completely dull and then try to get the edge back. To maintain an optimal cutting edge on a Chris Reeve knife, we recommend the use of the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. If you prefer to use a stone, the angle at which to sharpen will be best achieved at 18 - 20 degrees.

We will sharpen any knife we have made free of charge. We ask only that you pay for the return shipping. Simply return the knife (in its sheath if applicable), make sure that you include your address and phone number and we will restore the famous Chris Reeve Knives edge."

------------------
RICK - Left Handers Unite

I've had mine for something like 9 months now and I've sharpened it twice. Just some minor touch up on the sypdie sticks. Took me all of a couple of minutes to put 'er back to razor sharp. Not sure why you are having problems.

------------------
Hoodoo

Why dost thou whet thy knife so earnestly?

The Merchant of Venice, Act IV. Scene I.

memnoch,

Send it CRK and have them resharpen it.....then you can keep the edge up after that!

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GigOne
"Livin' Life - Full Throttle"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Happiness is a belt-fed weapon & a Walter Brend Model 2!"

oh mine pops hair. i have to give it to reeve. although im not crazy about the knife, cause its just not me, the heat treat and steel is OUTSTANDING.

i got mine sharp using a spyderco 204 fine stones laying flat. i put a shaving edge on it.

im just not enthralled with it.

You mentioned that you wished the one you have was more ergonomic. Which model do you have? It's probably the normal production version with the wide blade. Try looking at one of new Classic 2000 sebenza's. You'll be surprised how ergonomic this one is and may end up switching. Their sweet!

RW

I have a spyderco triangle sharpener and have no trouble maintaining the edge.

Sorry to hear you are not thrilled with your sebenza, i personally feel it is a great product.
Good luck to you.

I have a newer large Sebenza and find that it is really easy to keep razor sharp using the Spyderco sticks. Dont let the edge get too dull. The trick is to touch it up a few times a week. It only takes a minute or two at best. Small price to pay for a sharp edge. The Spyderco sticks are extremely simple to use. To me, sharpening a knife is like Krypton to Superman. The Syderco sticks make it easy!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mike

I made a leather strop that's just perfect for keeping the edge "touched up" on my small plain. Every month or so when I take it apart to clean and lube, I just give it a couple of swipes with the strop loaded up with the 1200 grit chromium oxide. Keeps the shaving sharp polished edge that I like.

I just sold my sebenza, had it a couple months, never used it. All my folding knife cutting tasks are performed by Spydercos (Military, Calypso & an Endura for dirty work") I can say that the Senenza was a very precise knife and very well made. The rounded spine was very nice and the craftsmanship was perfect. I was worried that the thin hollow grind would chip out, especially with the high RC heat treat ( I do love BG42 though).
The only complaint I have ever heard of the Sebenza has been its price. That is, in itself, a tribute to its excellent design and execution.
Funny thing though, now that mine is gone I desperately want another..... I'll use the next one though.
Be safe (or lucky),
Chad

------------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
"Those who hold the thin blue line keep order, and insure that anarchy and chaos will not prevail." Chad (1992)
"He who lives by the sword dies by the sword. He who dies by the sword did not train hard enough" -Chad (1999)
chad234@email.com

[This message has been edited by chad234 (edited 09-13-2000).]

my benza goes to its new home tomorow. in its place to dampen the loss will be a bud nealy tung pan.

ill deal with the grief.

it was a nice knife, and i may get another one day, but its just not me.

Back